Which system would you like to see at UT?

dcm3w

Daddy
Just a little off-season fun...

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

What system would you choose?

Frankly, the concept is filled with potholes.

The "system" should be built around the roster and vice versa. Botch Jones forced his vaunted system onto a roster ill suited for it. Recruit the top players and put them in a position to succeed. THAT is the system for success.

GO BIG ORANGE!

“Winning System”

tenor.gif

If Pruitt doesn’t work out I’d like to see Leach’s system in the SEC. We aren’t beating Bama and UGA running the same thing they are with inferior talent. We need something wild to perplex and confound the enemy.

The idea we implement a system fun to watch and see on Saturdays that has no chance in hell of working is anathema to me. The "air raid" didn't work in the NFL doesn't work in college football if you are interested in winning NCs. Warren Moon as great as he was with the Oilers was still reduced to trying to pass the ball on 1st and goal at the 1 and 2 yard lines. Shades of CBJ losing close games at UT is what you're wanting to see? Not me.

I want something new. I love roster turnover because we get to meet so many new faces of coaches and players. I love rebuilding even more because of the endless hope of something beautiful coming in 2-3 years. It warms my soul to think about it!

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

I personally like the system at Bama that wins several National Championships.

the idea of "system" is kind of an archaic way of thinking in today's football. sure, there's teams/coaches that still run "systems" like the option or an air raid/spread or whatever...but most offenses today are just built around concepts, and using personnel with various concepts to create mismatches.

where style or system starts to matter is on the offensive line...are you a zone blocking scheme, power scheme, combinatio of both? and those styles really do need to match the personnel. zone blocking schemes, you're not looking for maulers, you're loking for more athletic big guys than big powerful guys with good feet.

to me, the offensive line system you employ is more important than any "offensive system". besides, in a lot of cases, your offensive line will probably dictate what type of style/concepts/system you're going to run anyway, until you get the personnel you want up front to actually do what you want.

Never try running it up the middle three times in row more than 8 possessions in a game; assuming the other team doesn't think you're dumb enough to try it one more time.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I don't care as long as we score more points than the other team. We could run the fumbleruski on every play if it helps us win.

*haven’t run
*should’ve gone

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I want a smashmouth downhill running game that sets up the downfield passing game, and that is exactly where we are heading. If you want to know what i want, just go look at the final drive against Arkansas when TH (if you don't know who TH is you really need to see this) ran roughshod over the Arky Defense and there wasn't a dang thing they could do about it! That's what I want!

One that would win consistently.

System doesn't really matter as long as you have the players and mindset/focus to make it work. Assuming OL is at least "average", our other problem is we don't have any freak type athletes at any offense skill position...top 25 type pick in NFL. Looking at those Bray/Patterson clips in another thread, and throw hunter in there...that's the sort of players we need, which will make most any "system" look good. Maybe we should throw Crouch over to RB, especially if he doesn't crack the starting lineup or significant playing time.

Reactions: Wireless1
Never try running it up the middle three times in row more than 8 possessions in a game; assuming the other team doesn't think you're dumb enough to try it one more time.
Ahhhh, the Johnny Majors "we are ahead by three points lets burn the clock the entire second half" philosophy. :D

Reactions: KBVol and basspond

Whatever system/scheme that works.

VN Store

Back