Which system would you like to see at UT?

Ahhhh, the Johnny Majors "we are ahead by three points lets burn the clock the entire second half" philosophy. :D
I saw 1st game and last game home Majors coached, California was first Vols didn't have players that were big enough to win game , last game was KY, Vols came out
and just destroyed Cats and scored every possession, I'm using my memory end qtr1 think score 24-0, and you guessed it Majors call off dogs before halftime we lose all momentum
Ky goes ahead and Vols are lucky win , Majors famous for putting his teams in handcuffs not smart...…………………...….GO VOLS

Pro Style Power I play action with a little power spread mixed in. Bottom line the blueprint is there, for long term success you need a big physical LOS in the SEC, You have to be able to do it all to consistently win in the sec. Spread offenses without a quality running game may win some but the top defenses in this league will expose you if you can't run and pass. GBO!

Last edited:
Just a little off-season fun...

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

What system would you choose?
Veer

It is probably a "Power-I" formation...

A QB who can accurately manage the game / read defenses / make short and intermediate throws / scramble 1-2 times a game to keep LBs honest (see Andy Kelly, Tee Martin)
Two WRs who can get separation / block downfield when needed (see Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper)
One WR who is a possession receiver (see Craig Faulkner)
A FB who is mostly a run blocker / but can run if needs be (see Greg Amsler, Roland Poles, Shawn Bryson)
A RB who can break the first tackle (we currently have 2)
A TE who doesn't mind going over the middle for the necessary first down (see Jason Whitten, Von Reeves)

That's my offense.

The one that brings National Championships....do they take away your OP card for questions like this?

Just a little off-season fun...

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

What system would you choose?
In all honestly... I've been wanting the system we currently have in place for several years - offensively and defensively.

If Pruitt doesn’t work out I’d like to see Leach’s system in the SEC. We aren’t beating Bama and UGA running the same thing they are with inferior talent. We need something wild to perplex and confound the enemy.
I've had this thought as well. The difference between where I'm at and where you're at is I'm not focused on beating Bama and UGA right now. I just want to see us get back to winning 10 games consistently. Who knows... by the time we get there, Bama and UGA could be fading.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I've had this thought as well. The difference between where I'm at and where you're at is I'm not focused on beating Bama and UGA right now. I just want to see us get back to winning 10 games consistently. Who knows... by the time we get there, Bama and UGA could be fading.

I can understand that. We’re in a tiered SEC East basically. We need to take care of Tier 3 first and work our way up. One could argue that UT was Tier 4 at the end of 2017 and should have been relegated.

Tier 1
UGA
UF
————————
Tier 2
Missouri
South Carolina
————————
Tier 3
Vandy
Tennessee
Kentucky

Reactions: bpalmer28
System doesn't really matter as long as you have the players and mindset/focus to make it work. Assuming OL is at least "average", our other problem is we don't have any freak type athletes at any offense skill position...top 25 type pick in NFL. Looking at those Bray/Patterson clips in another thread, and throw hunter in there...that's the sort of players we need, which will make most any "system" look good. Maybe we should throw Crouch over to RB, especially if he doesn't crack the starting lineup or significant playing time.
Jordan Palmer is elite....he will prove it this year. Ty Chandler is as well in his own right. Eric Gray is going to be a star. Some people in here refuse to believe we actually have quality athlete's on the offensive side of the ball, unfortunately the O-line was so bad last year we couldnt consistently show it

Fulmers second half strategy also
Well........he did pick up some of his philosophies from his former boss. I seem to remember a game, against Air Force I believe, where they were up by three coming out after halftime and ran 14 straight iso plays. For those not sure and iso play is an I formation run up the middle with a full back lead block. Unfortunately, it led to five consecutive “ up the middle, up the middle, up the middle.....punt” series.

Well........he did pick up some of his philosophies from his former boss. I seem to remember a game, against Air Force I believe, where they were up by three coming out after halftime and ran 14 straight iso plays. For those not sure and iso play is an I formation run up the middle with a full back lead block. Unfortunately, it led to five consecutive “ up the middle, up the middle, up the middle.....punt” series.

My biggest gripe with Fulmer coached teams was they tended to play "not to lose" with the lead in the second half.

Reactions: beamerman
Jordan Palmer is elite....he will prove it this year. Ty Chandler is as well in his own right. Eric Gray is going to be a star. Some people in here refuse to believe we actually have quality athlete's on the offensive side of the ball, unfortunately the O-line was so bad last year we couldnt consistently show it
I like Palmer and Chandler alot and looking forward to this year w/ them, and no doubt about OL. But, elite, top shelf, special talents...the kind we don't have for any present returning players (other than Smith if healthy), have a way of affecting the game, regardless of whether the team is good or not. Eric Berry, Saquon Barkley (NFL)...Benny Snell and Josh Allen pretty much did it all for Kentucky last year... We need the guys where it's a no brainer who's going on the Athlon preseason cover. JG is on this year, and I'm all in on him, but some folks think he shouldn't be starting QB.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe with Fulmer coached teams was they tended to play "not to lose" with the lead in the second half.
You are dead on! It was rare that the game plan was the same leading versus trailing. That part of his coaching got much worse the longer he coached.

Reactions: hog88
If Pruitt doesn’t work out I’d like to see Leach’s system in the SEC. We aren’t beating Bama and UGA running the same thing they are with inferior talent. We need something wild to perplex and confound the enemy.
It’s already been tried in the SEC when he was Hal Mumme’s OC at Kentucky. They didn’t win anything, and that was with Tim Couch at qb.

You are dead on! It was rare that the game plan was the same leading versus trailing. That part of his coaching got much worse the longer he coached.

Yeah I lost years on my life screaming at the 3 and outs and mustang package giving up leads.

What haven't the Vols run? And when didn't the fans get tired of it?

1. Ran the Single Wing from 1926 until 1963. It's as run oriented as they get.
2. T formation in the 60's.
3. Some Veer in the 70's.
4. I formation 80's.
5. Pro sets, shotgun and one back in the 90's and 00's.
5. Spread, pistol, wildcat in the 10's.

Flavor of the month hasn't really worked all the well from Dave Clawson on, but I did see Chaney move the ball better than any other coordinator we've had in the last decade with Kiffin and Dooley. I'm happy with where we are. You'd have to be completely off your rocker to run any triple option offense against SEC defenses. It's a novelty offense for teams that can't push people around. Kind of like what we saw with Butch Jones. A running quarterback that can make something out of nothing is the only way it had a chance of working.

VN Store

Back