Which one of these coaches would you rather have hired?

Freeze should’ve gotten jail time for what he did to that poor girl when he was at Briarcrest. I would’ve boycotted the program if he had been hired.
Did it ever occur to you that there’s a difference between allegations and a conviction? If you don’t know for a fact it happened maybe you shouldn't libel someone.

Reactions: CJBlaze and cgrish
Danny White's fallback position was Heupel. Danny wouldn't have brought him to Knoxville if he thought he would fail.

He may not be the best coach but Danny believed Heupel was the best option available who wanted the job.

If he's a solid coach the program will gradually improve. That's about all you can expect at this point.

Reactions: 08Vol and KptVFL
they hired the default hire. Why would coaches want to come here to rebuild something that has been broke 13 years going on 14? There have been 5 coaches hired since Fulmer was fired and they have probably been turned down or gotten not interested in discussing from 7 times that many.
They talk to us to get a raise. More money for the same job.

Reactions: 08Vol
No I wasn't serious but didn't know how to use blue font. I used him as an example for the same reason I listed the records of other coaches.

114-34 and 3-18 are the same coach.

No way to know how a coach is going to turn out at one place vs another but a lot has to do with player talent.
Last year Sarkisian had 4 and 5 star talent to work with at every position.....three deep. Doesn't have the same kind of talent to work with now.
He may turn out to have a good record there...should because he is in the middle of loads of talent.....but there is no way to know.

I believe we have the best coach that was available and so far am not disappointed. If we had a quarterback that could run CJH's offense as designed we would have a decent record this year but I have serious doubts that the person needed is on campus at this time.
Was that Les Miles records at LSU and Kansas?

I am so sick of hearing about this moral high ground crap. TN has been cheating for decades. Along with every other major college football program. Everybody knows it.
Bill Veeck was a multi team baseball owner going back to the 40’s, who was known for (among other things) being a successful owner without the luxury of a large fortune. The “other things” in question are being an unapologetic excessive smoker and drinker, wild publicity stunts, and his practices that were considered sketchy and cutthroat by his baseball colleagues. Veeck made a living manipulating the common squabbling in family owned teams with controlling ownership schemes, and was a royal pain in the ass for a segregationist commissioner who was steadfast in not breaking the color barrier. He was always finding ways to circumvent the norms of the structure and etiquette of a tight knit group. While not breaking any rules necessarily, he was constantly ruffling a lot feathers. During a break in the late 60’s while he was nudged out of baseball, Veeck accepted a job to run Suffolk Downs racetrack in Boston. One of the first things he did was sue the State of Massachusetts to allow children to visit Suffolk with their dads. His motivation for this was to shape a future generation of gamblers with targeted marketing programs for the kids while at the track. When challenged by the State’s attorney as to what the long term effects would be on teaching children the art of betting on horse races, Veeck replied “I’m not here in the role of a social worker. I’m here to make money for my racetrack “. Veeck won the case.
If there is an equivalent of Bill Veeck today, I am hiring him to be my athletic director. Tennessee went the other way and hired a young, well respected, supposedly great mind who will work with and cooperate with the NCAA in hopes of a favorable outcome. It may work, and I may have no business making such a hire. But I don’t believe our rivals would have taken this route. I would have much preferred someone who would have given the double bird to the investigators and Twitter, and then went on First Take with a scotch in his hand. This guy hires whatever coach he wants, sets whatever schedule favors us, and he puts butts in seats. Desperate times require desperate measures.

Last edited:
Go ahead and cite precedents where the NCAA punished a school for hiring a coach with past infractions. There isn’t one. Stop lying.
Where's the lie? First off, it's my opinion, albeit an educated one. Secondly, if you think that there would be no consequences for hiring Freeze after the way the university went about firing Pruitt and Fulmer under the pretenses of cheating, then you are crazy.

Reactions: BilboTN and 08Vol
Where's the lie? First off, it's my opinion, albeit an educated one. Secondly, if you think that there would be no consequences for hiring Freeze after the way the university went about firing Pruitt and Fulmer under the pretenses of cheating, then you are crazy.

This is the type of loser thinking that has gotten us coaches like Dooley, Botch and cornbread.

Reactions: CJBlaze
Would not have had to offer that much for Kiffin and he would have come,
In case you didn't see my post about Kiffin.... He was not going to bolt from another University after one season to go back to the university he originally bolted from after one season. That's what's known as career suicide. You can keep telling yourself he would have come back, but this is not a better situation than the one he is in currently.

Reactions: 08Vol and KptVFL
This is the type of loser thinking that has gotten us coaches like Dooley, Botch and cornbread.
It's not loser thinking. It's real life. Loser thinking is whining about some other coach you wanted after two freaking games under a new coaching staff that is 1-1. If they had hired Freeze and the season still started 1-1 would you still be complaining? Even though that's the coach YOU wanted? Yes, Freeze beat Saban twice, but what did that amount to? How many SEC west titles did he win‽ How many conference titles did he win? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss but they had to vacate 33 of those wins because he was caught cheating. Being willing to win (by cheating), no matter the cost or consequences is loser thinking.

Would not have had to offer that much for Kiffin and he would have come,
I'm curious. Do you even know what Kiffin's record is vs. Heupel in head to head match ups as head coaches? Do you know why Kiffin runs the current offense that he does at Ole Miss currently?

Reactions: 08Vol
I haven't seen many posts calling for Heupel's job. I think a lot of people are worried he's gonna keep marching Milton out there when it's painfully obvious he's not a good QB. People seen Pruitt continually keep putting Guarantano out there and they're thinking here we go again.

Texas was on the road against a much improved Razorback team. Totally different situation. Texas will win multiple games more than Tennessee
So what you’re saying is, we have already fallen behind an Arkansas program, who 2-3 years ago was absolute garbage. Kentucky has passed us by and we are now battling vandy and South Carolina for the 12-14 spots in the conference.
What is going on? Why can Arkansas become competitive in 2 years? How can Kentucky continue to build toward being relevant in this conference but we keep taking a step back? I keep thinking that eventually the ball is going to bounce our way but I’m starting to doubt that it happens. I’m so tired of shoulda, coulda, woulda’s. Are we really like Nebraska, a once proud program who will never find their way out of the darkness? Someone talk me off the ledge, because I’m tired of losing football games and I don’t know how much longer we can continue to tread water before we take that final, last gulp of air and sink into the abyss.
GBO!!

So what you’re saying is, we have already fallen behind an Arkansas program, who 2-3 years ago was absolute garbage. Kentucky has passed us by and we are now battling vandy and South Carolina for the 12-14 spots in the conference.
What is going on? Why can Arkansas become competitive in 2 years? How can Kentucky continue to build toward being relevant in this conference but we keep taking a step back? I keep thinking that eventually the ball is going to bounce our way but I’m starting to doubt that it happens. I’m so tired of shoulda, coulda, woulda’s. Are we really like Nebraska, a once proud program who will never find their way out of the darkness? Someone talk me off the ledge, because I’m tired of losing football games and I don’t know how much longer we can continue to tread water before we take that final, last gulp of air and sink into the abyss.
GBO!!
We looked like we we moving out of the funk in Butch's third year, but then the Hurd issue in year 4 seemingly took us back into the abyss. Terrible move by our administration to put Fulmer in as AD set us back. He brought us the joke that continued our set back. Heupel will get us out of this if we allow him time.

Several reliable sources said that Freeze wanted it
Given who was truly interested... I would have ranked them like this:

A - Freeze - Given the NCAA is now essentially defunct, that takes away a lot of the danger here. I get the decision though. UT never gets away like the other schools do (LSU, UNC, Kansas, etc.)

B - Heupel - Safe hire. He's won and been in the league. He also knows the AD. I get it.

C - Chadwell - If Heupel said no, this would've been who I wanted. Local boy that is blowing up right now.

Reactions: JoAllan and CJBlaze

VN Store

Back