Which one of these coaches would you rather have hired?

If he had just won a natty, at least 5 at his alma mater
In all fairness, Jones or Pruitt would have gotten more years had their last seasons not disintegrated. A good program can suffer an OCCASIONAL 6 and 6 or even 5 and 7 year you do NOT get to go 4 and 8 or 3 and 8 however.

Reactions: 08Vol
So what you’re saying is, we have already fallen behind an Arkansas program, who 2-3 years ago was absolute garbage. Kentucky has passed us by and we are now battling vandy and South Carolina for the 12-14 spots in the conference.
What is going on? Why can Arkansas become competitive in 2 years? How can Kentucky continue to build toward being relevant in this conference but we keep taking a step back? I keep thinking that eventually the ball is going to bounce our way but I’m starting to doubt that it happens. I’m so tired of shoulda, coulda, woulda’s. Are we really like Nebraska, a once proud program who will never find their way out of the darkness? Someone talk me off the ledge, because I’m tired of losing football games and I don’t know how much longer we can continue to tread water before we take that final, last gulp of air and sink into the abyss.
GBO!!

Arkansas is in year 2. They went 3-7 last year and everyone was saying Pittman was a bad hire. Let’s check the scores and wonder what Vol fans would have said if Heupel had the same year 1 results.

“Heupel can’t win close games. He lost by 2 to AU & Mizzou and lost by 3 to LSU. A good coach finds a way to win close games.”

“Heupel was only able to beat MSST, Ole Miss, and UT. None of those teams had a winning record and all of them had losing records during the regular season.”

“Everyone wants to focus on Heupel starting 3-3 and ignore ending the season 0-4 while getting blown out by UF and Bama. Players quit on Heupel, no other way Bama beats us by 49 unless the players quit on the coach. Now we have no momentum going into next season.”

I agree that there were no easy choices here. Tennessee has a terrible habit of needing a coach right when there really aren’t any. (Or waiting just a tad too long like we did when Mullen came available)

And this is why I hate Scott Frost with a passion and want to continue to see him fail. He followed his heart over his head. He built up UCF by recruiting FL talent b/c those are the type of players he connects with. He should have taken the UF job and accepted Nebraska is never coming back. If he had taken UF then we would have gotten Mullen and the SEC East would look like it did in the early 2000s where UT, UF, & UGA were all top 15 programs playing good football.

Reactions: Wireless1
I'm on board with this coach!
I’m on board as well and am definitely pulling for the guys that stuck with us, rather than bailing out when the going got tough. But eventually we have to take advantage of one of these games like we played on Saturday. We were on our way to a 21-0 early lead and would’ve never looked back. I’m just frustrated is all. Make no mistake about it, I’ll live and die with this football program, no matter what! I’m just belly aching and letting out some frustration!
GBO!!

lol wanted to be here?
so did pruitt.

Pruitt never wanted to be here and was only here for the paycheck and yo try and use UT as a stepping stone to get the Bama job when Saban retires. Case in point, we hire him and he stays on at Bama to coach in the championship game. All those players that left after he was fired did so b/c they committed to a coach, not to the idea of rebuilding UT into something great.

Kiffin wanted UT to offer him the job so he could use it to get a raise then publicly turn it down and use it as a recruiting tool. Kiffin wanted back in the SEC, he got that with Ole Miss. Last year we didn’t have anything else to offer him that he wanted

If Lane Kiffin is the only hope in the world to rebuild Tennessee football.....let it go...

How do you move on from a coach for cheating (that's the reason used for firing Pruitt) to hire another coach that was recently fired for cheating? National (and local) media would have a field day with that one. So would the NCAA.

Because Pruitt was on his way out anyway - for losing. Let the media howl all they want. They aren't full of compliments as things are.
In three years, the sanctions have expired, we are winning again, and all is well in Knoxville.

Because Pruitt was on his way out anyway - for losing. Let the media howl all they want. They aren't full of compliments as things are.
In three years, the sanctions have expired, we are winning again, and all is well in Knoxville.
Good luck winning again if you were to get hit with major sanctions for handling it the way you ate suggesting.

Last time the Vols did that was Greg Schiano.

Hard not to feel bad for that dude. He had nothing to do with the Penn State allegations, but we used that as a crutch not to hire him because we thought we could do better.

Poor guy was probably thrilled to be coming here, then had to sit and watch his name be dragged through the mud.

Reactions: Raebo
How many years would Coach Majors get in today's coaching world?

With the media talking heads we have now? Not long. Four to Six years tops before the pressure gets high. But that is for any coach at any school. In Johnny's case? His issues with alcohol would be exposed to the world within two. Back during his time, plenty of people knew. But they liked him and where he was taking the program. Nowadays, with cell phones with cameras? The evidence would be on Twitter and Instagram quickly.

Reactions: feathersax
Hard not to feel bad for that dude. He had nothing to do with the Penn State allegations, but we used that as a crutch not to hire him because we thought we could do better.

Poor guy was probably thrilled to be coming here, then had to sit and watch his name be dragged through the mud.
We didn’t drag anything. That got started elsewhere. We simply didn’t want the impending righteous fallout from the same talking heads who gave us grief for not sitting and taking it. He’s a big boy in a big boy world.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back