Where were you? - September 11, 2001

If 9/11 happened again today, the media would run a 24/7 news cycle on what Donald Trump did to cause the attack and why America deserved it and the terrorists were right. 100%
We offend the Taliban with our white privilege and infidel nature. We should make a skit😂😂

At least you are old enough to actually have seen Tennessee win big. I faintly recall how nuts my dad went when we won in the Swamp that year, and then how sad we were after LSU. I remember next to nothing about the actual playing of the games
That Florida win was incredible.

Totally unexpected and Florida seemed to be on their way to the Rose Bowl.

Travis Stephens carried us to the win. Just awesome.

That was the peak for Fulmer.

The next week losing to Saban and LSU was the beginning of the downward spiral. We’ve never gotten back to the 2001 level. It would’ve been a heckuva BCS game vs Miami if we’d been able to get past LSU.

Edit: Travis Stephens not Henry

Last edited:

Travis Henry carried us to the win. Just awesome.

The next week losing to Saban and LSU was the beginning of the downward spiral. We’ve never gotten back to the 2001 level. It would’ve been a heckuva BCS game vs Miami if we’d been able to get past LSU.
Makes you wonder what may have happened in a playoff system. I’ve seen highlights of that 2001 team. They were a force

It was Travis Stephens wasn't it?

Reactions: ajvol01
I was working like a government mule that day. I got home about 5 and my wife told me what had happened. We had supper, she went to church to pray with lots of others, I got on the tractor and worked in the yard. That year there were 730,322 abortions, which is 2,000 per day for 365 days. That day almost 3,000 people died. It's incredible that we kill that many unborn babies in the USA.
Go Vols.
What a wicked mess we’ve become

Makes you wonder what may have happened in a playoff system. I’ve seen highlights of that 2001 team. They were a force

UGA loss would have prevented a playoff appearance if it existed back then. That was Fulmer's most talented team IMO.

I also remember where I was during that game in 2001. We were supposed to fly back to Ft. Stewart at the end of September but after the 11th all the flights were canceled and we ended up getting back in October. December 1st was the Christmas ball for the division and I drew a detail for that night at the ball. I was sneaking back into the bar the whole night to watch the game and I probably spent the entire 4th quarter watching it.

I think. I always get them confused. I think UT ought to make a VOL football history course. If we can have African American Studies and underwater basket weaving at least give us something fun
It was definitely Stephens. He wore #25 originally, but took a year off in 2000 to take care of his sick dad. Came back in 2001 wearing #34 and he was a grown man that year. Just incredible. One of my favorite players.

Henry wore #20

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Perhaps. I would have to go back and look at the teams in the hunt after our SECCG loss.
I’m not entirely convinced that committee would have been prepared to put a one loss Illinois or Maryland in above us. If that assumption held true then it would have been between us and Colorado for that last spot. I think it’s possible that we could have gotten in depending on who’s doing the selecting and the criteria involved.

I’m not entirely convinced that committee would have been prepared to put a one loss Illinois or Maryland in above us. If that assumption held true then it would have been between us and Colorado for that last spot. I think it’s possible that we could have gotten in depending on who’s doing the selecting and the criteria involved.
Colorado lost to Texas in the Big 12 championship game the same night we beat Florida.

We were a shoo-in for the Rose Bowl if we’d beaten LSU.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I remember it being if we had beat LSU we would have played Miami for the national title.

That was the feeling from most in the sports world IIRC. The 2001 SECCG disaster was the most painful loss I have ever witnessed. UT probably would not have beat the canes, but you never know until you play. They absolutely slaughtered the VOLS the next year at Neyland but the 2002 squad was not very good & was decimated with injuries. We did however return the favor to Miami the following year at the orange bowl.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Colorado lost to Texas in the Big 12 championship game the same night we beat Florida.

We were a shoo-in for the Rose Bowl if we’d beaten LSU.
I’m referring to If we could have made it into a top four selected by Committee after our LSU loss. I think that it was possible, perhaps not probable though

VN Store

Back