Where were you? - September 11, 2001

headhunter15

I teach 5th-8th Social Studies, and on Friday, I plan to focus on the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. Unfortunately, kids today do not have a clue how truly big of an event that was. It’s a day that I can remember every single thing that happened, from the weather to where I was when I found out.

Where were you on September 11, 2001? What were you doing?

I was living in Charleston, SC at the time. My grandmom had passed away the day before. I just left the house on my way to Clarksville, TN for the funeral and was listening to the Bob & Tom Show and they reported it. All day long I listened to news. I remember seeing gas prices go up all day.

Parking my car and going to class listening to a Bill Bates interview on one of the sportstalk radio shows when the first plane hit. The second plane hits while I'm in class.

I was at work getting ready to go out on the boat. I was watching the weather channel seeing what was going on with a depression in the Gulf that later developed into tropical storm Gabrielle.

Ended up sitting at the bar all day watching news.

Gabrielle wound up just North of me but flooding the island and my restaurant, waste deep. Tough week.

Reactions: AM64 and tntar heel
I teach 5th-8th Social Studies, and on Friday, I plan to focus on the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. Unfortunately, kids today do not have a clue how truly big of an event that was. It’s a day that I can remember every single thing that happened, from the weather to where I was when I found out.

I was asleep in bed in the month off leading up to the police academy. My wife called from UT and said turn on the tv. I did and watched the 2nd plane crash into the WTC. It was somber and I remember the panic of media thinking planes were gonna be crashing all over the country. President Bush came to visit our academy later that year and I had visited NYC that December and the WTC site was still smoldering

Reactions: AM64 and tntar heel

At work - listening to the radio, heard about the first plane hitting WTC. Turned on TV and saw the second plane hit.

Reactions: AM64
I was at work and in the cafeteria on my morning break watching the horror that was happening. We turned a 15 minute break into more like an hour watching the TV set on the wall. The USA came to a stand still at that time. America became one nation at that time & was all in one accord to save & to rescue those that were trapped in the rubble of the fallen Twin Towers.

I remember my dad coming to pull me out of 1st grade. And I remember how on edge and protective my parents were in the following weeks

Parking my car and going to class listening to a Bill Bates interview on one of the sportstalk radio shows when the first plane hit. The second plane hits while I'm in class.
Yep, me too. Well, I was actually in class when the first one hit and they thought it was an accident. At first I thought someone said the bubble had collapsed (@ UT for those that didn’t go there) but I left class to go to the bathroom and saw the second one on TV as I stopped to see what a crowd of people was watching. I could tell something was up but had no idea what.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Flight planning with crew, someone came in the room and turned on the TV. Turns out we didn’t fly that day except we did have one crew that flew a human heart to Texas that day. I believe that was the only plane in the air that day.

I was getting my two oldest ready to go to Mother’s Day Out.....turned the tv on for them to watch cartoons while we ate breakfast and saw smoke coming out of TWTC as I flipped by CNN.... about a minute after I started watching... the second plane hit

Sleeping in my truck, parked at the I75 South weigh station near Corbin, KY. My radio was on, tuned to a music station. As the station began covering the attacks, my subconscious began adding them to my dreams in a Tom Clancy-esque way. I woke up, still not sure of what I was hearing. I went inside the station and the trooper there had it on the TV, I was just in time to watch the towers fall.

I was in my office working on an estimate and listening to Fox Sports Radio. The news came on that a plane hit the WTC and thought it must have been a horrible accident then a few minutes later the news of the second plane hitting. I was in communication that day with a client in DC and it was the most surreal moment of my life. Our company president, who is as opposite of an alarmist as one could get, called everyone together and told us if we needed to go home to be with our families we could. I remember driving home wondering what else was going to happen. If it was going to happen here in Knoxville, silly now, but it was my mindset then.i went home and was stuck to the news.
I hear about my parents generation talking about remembering the JFK assassination and we can relate. I remember when Reagan was shot, I was in elementary school.
Nothing in my life compares to 911.Malaria the same time, I wish we had the togetherness as a country that we experienced after 911.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64 and oz615
On a SWA flight from RI to Nashville, they landed it in Cincinnati and I ended up grabbing a rental to get home.

I was at work and in the cafeteria on my morning break watching the horror that was happening. We turned a 15 minute break into more like an hour watching the TV set on the wall. The USA came to a stand still at that time. America became one nation at that time & was all in one accord to save & to rescue those that were trapped in the rubble of the fallen Twin Towers.
Hard to believe how unified we were 19 years ago with people flying American flags from their cars and wearing FDNY & NYPD hats and t-shirts.

Now liberal lunatics literally want to defund the police. Hopefully sanity returns over the next 20 years.

I was out making sales calls on refineries in the Houston area with a colleague from Germany who was supposed to fly back to Frankfurt the next day but ended up being stuck in the US for a few more days.

In my greenhouse picking tomatoes. My granny saw it on TV and come in and told me. She didn't know what had happened exactly. I walked in and saw the tv just a few seconds before the 2nd plane crashed. Just remembered thinking, that's not an accident

Reactions: StarRaider
Ask again in three years after I retire and I’ll give a more detailed answer. But for now I’ll say in bed sick and recovering after wrapping up months of systems integration, developmental flight testing, and tactics development. Turned on the TV after the first plane had hit and saw the second one hit live. Called a friend and coworker and we watched in disbelief while we recounted the several prior months of work

Hard to believe how unified we were 19 years ago with people flying American flags from their cars and wearing FDNY & NYPD hats and t-shirts.

Now liberal lunatics literally want to defund the police. Hopefully sanity returns over the next 20 years.
Meanwhile, the conservatives of that time pizzed on what little bit of America that was represented by those flags with the Patriot Act, Homeland Security and all of their other actions that linger on to this day.

I still can't believe I fell for the men with box cutters, cellphone calls from 20000 ft, pristine hijacker passports being found on the scene and steel buildings falling all over NYC.

Reactions: AM64 and OldVolMan
Meanwhile, the conservatives of that time pizzed on what little bit of America that was represented by those flags with the Patriot Act, Homeland Security and all of their other actions that linger on to this day.

I still can't believe I fell for the men with box cutters, cellphone calls from 20000 ft, pristine hijacker passports being found on the scene and steel buildings falling all over NYC.
It’s so obvious now. Sickening.

Me reading this post:
GivingKindBluemorphobutterfly-max-1mb.gif

working at the neighborhood nuclear powered plant. Started a scheduled meeting at 0900 just after the first one was hit and everyone was assuming it was likely a horrible accident. During the meeting the second one was hit.....At that point the pucker factor increased exponentially and most of us realized a war had just begun.

I remember my dad coming to pull me out of 1st grade. And I remember how on edge and protective my parents were in the following weeks
My mom demanded my sister and I leave campus and come home as people were saying Oak Ridge was next. I had no car and no one was moving away from the tv so that wasn’t happening. I went to my afternoon philosophy class, there was a Palestinian guy in there who said people had harassed him all the way in to class. I think a lot of people just didn’t want to sit in their dorms or apartments alone so they came to class. Several guys we were friends with went to the recruiting station in the following days.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Finishing a concrete slab in Powell new construction, remember the contractor dropping by and mentioned a plane had hit one of the towers. I thought a single engine tourist plane had got to close. Said a silent prayer for the pilot and passengers, Not long later contractor came by and said a 2nd Airliner had hit, the world instantly turned gloomy, and I realized what was happening.

VN Store

Back