Where we stand right now.

We are at one of the lowest points in the history of UT football (we've had many of them the last 8 years) and because of crass financial mismanagement in the athletics department for the last decade, we can't afford to move on from the supreme blunder that is dragging us to the bottom. We are also unlikely to be able to make any quality coaching changes. Who is a good position/assistant coach that A) Pruitt could find? B) Would be willing to hitch his wagon/future to Pruitt right now?

If I were a promising QB coach for instance, no way am I going to derail my career for spending what is likely one year with a guy who has a man-crush from hades on a single undevelopable quarterback. Why would I come here as a DL coach when the head coach doesn't let me or even the DC do the full job and will fire me regardless of how my unit is doing, while inexplicably keeping people on his staff who stink out loud?

If we tried to replace Chaney, we'd have to pay them even more than Chaney is making now and give them a fat buyout because they'd see this as probably a one year stop too.

Oh, and our recruiting class, if it sticks, is probably going to be around 8th of 14 in the SEC at the end of the signing period. 8th place talent and the 14th place, unreplaceable coaching staff.

So we're stuck with the staff, we aren't upgrading the talent relative to the top of the conference and JG has another year of eligibility. Plus, our bright spot, the basketball team, can't play due to the damn pandemic that is causing more financial strain on the football team.

To quote the caller on sportstalk yesterday who was talking to Hyams about us not being able to afford to make a change "well, I guess we're just going to keep on sucking then."
If we keep Pruitt then our only chance is Cutcliffe doing a favor for his buddy Fulmer by becoming oc with complete offensive control. Probably unlikely but idk maybe he and Fulmer that close of a relationship

We are at one of the lowest points in the history of UT football (we've had many of them the last 8 years) and because of crass financial mismanagement in the athletics department for the last decade, we can't afford to move on from the supreme blunder that is dragging us to the bottom. We are also unlikely to be able to make any quality coaching changes. Who is a good position/assistant coach that A) Pruitt could find? B) Would be willing to hitch his wagon/future to Pruitt right now?

If I were a promising QB coach for instance, no way am I going to derail my career for spending what is likely one year with a guy who has a man-crush from hades on a single undevelopable quarterback. Why would I come here as a DL coach when the head coach doesn't let me or even the DC do the full job and will fire me regardless of how my unit is doing, while inexplicably keeping people on his staff who stink out loud?

If we tried to replace Chaney, we'd have to pay them even more than Chaney is making now and give them a fat buyout because they'd see this as probably a one year stop too.

Oh, and our recruiting class, if it sticks, is probably going to be around 8th of 14 in the SEC at the end of the signing period. 8th place talent and the 14th place, unreplaceable coaching staff.

So we're stuck with the staff, we aren't upgrading the talent relative to the top of the conference and JG has another year of eligibility. Plus, our bright spot, the basketball team, can't play due to the damn pandemic that is causing more financial strain on the football team.

To quote the caller on sportstalk yesterday who was talking to Hyams about us not being able to afford to make a change "well, I guess we're just going to keep on sucking then."

Reactions: SpookyAction
If I were in charge, I would fire Pruitt tomorrow and promote Chaney to acting HC. Keep the rest of the staff for the rest of the season to avoid that part of the buyout. And then just roll into the off-season with that interim setup. Stay with Chaney until Freeze or whoever you want becomes available. Or if Chaney excels, you already got him onboard and can make him permanent. Sort of like Orgeron at LSU or Fulmer at UT.
Chaney couldn't walk the sidelines. He's too big. He'd need a golf cart or a sail barge which would be a whole nother level of embarassing, but now that I think about it, this is probably exactly what will happen.

Fire Pruitt and Hire Freeze already. It appears Freeze wants to be at Tennessee and I feel like if he was offered I think he would accept immediately

If we keep Pruitt then our only chance is Cutcliffe doing a favor for his buddy Fulmer by becoming oc with complete offensive control. Probably unlikely but idk maybe he and Fulmer that close of a relationship
BS!!! Why would Cut leave Duke as head coach to "come home licking Fulmer and companies shoes" He is in a comfortable position. Duke is as good as they have been in my lifetime. No, he has it setup til he retires.

Oh my goodness OP get some perspective...You've been reading all this stuff posted here by people like me who know very little about what's going on but have strong opinions which is legal (for now anyways) and perfectly acceptable in America...take EVERYTHING you read here (and other boards too) with a proverbial grain of salt.....other than that...Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Reactions: orangemadam
Would it, or is this just one more excuse we use to rationalize how bad we suck?

What happened to UGA when their QB went down and they had terrible QB play? Their offense sucked and the defense started to suck. did their line, all of their 5 star talent just forget how to play because the QB got hurt?

Reactions: Volatility
This board is at its lowest point in history. There is more stupidity on here than during the Gruden era. I mean the posters who who know anything about football are in the 1% Club.
Let those who are with out sin cast the first stone

DUDE, back away from the ledge and remember that solid QB play changes EVERYTHING! This team is no where near this bad but the lack of a QB is causing all sorts of issues that most people dont even attribute to the QB. The defense is struggling because we cant get 1st downs, the RB's are struggling because no one respects JG, the DB's are hoping for a turnover and taking chances because they know we cant score very much. I know CJP is for some unknown reason attached to this guy and wont move one and none of us know the real reason why, but dont get down on the rest of the team. This is UT's version of the Kevin Bacon game, we can blame the QB for every problem. Once tht issues get figured out, this team will look a lot different.
Our defense is bad because our defense is bad.

Our OL is mediocre because our OL is mediocre.

It's the whole team. We've seen backups and others - Chryst, Maurer, Shrout. It's all the same. Name guys that have developed this year...good luck.

Pruitt gotta go

Why did I just have to read another moronic article where Pruitt tells us the O-line is inexperienced becaise of COVID? Does he think nobody realizes that all of those guys started last year at Tennessee except for Mays who was a 2 year starter at Georgia, under our current OC? Which line in America has more time in together as a whole, so that ours qualifies as "inexperienced"? Before the season all I heard is how great they were going to be because of all their years of experience and high number of starts. Just another excuse for pitiful failure.

Reactions: onevol74 and sona
What happened to UGA when their QB went down and they had terrible QB play? Their offense sucked and the defense started to suck. did their line, all of their 5 star talent just forget how to play because the QB got hurt?
We ain't UGA....

Just curious. How much would we have to pay Liberty to get him out of his contract there? Have not seen that listed anywhere.

To people who thing this is all on any QB, why is the QB playing and none other ready? The problem is on the sidelines. The people teaching and assigning playing time to the QBs. That we are 7 games deep in the season and the slant works every time for the opposing O tells me that the defensive side of the ball somehow can't evaluate film and see what is causing it to always be open. It doesn't matter who the opposing QB has been either. It's automatic.

We have issues aplenty and the hole will just get deeper the longer this staff is in place.

Last edited:

So our only chance is a head coach leaving his school to become our OC because he a friend working here? Thats the only chance?

VN Store

Back