Where we stand right now.

VolArmy74

We are at one of the lowest points in the history of UT football (we've had many of them the last 8 years) and because of crass financial mismanagement in the athletics department for the last decade, we can't afford to move on from the supreme blunder that is dragging us to the bottom. We are also unlikely to be able to make any quality coaching changes. Who is a good position/assistant coach that A) Pruitt could find? B) Would be willing to hitch his wagon/future to Pruitt right now?

If I were a promising QB coach for instance, no way am I going to derail my career for spending what is likely one year with a guy who has a man-crush from hades on a single undevelopable quarterback. Why would I come here as a DL coach when the head coach doesn't let me or even the DC do the full job and will fire me regardless of how my unit is doing, while inexplicably keeping people on his staff who stink out loud?

If we tried to replace Chaney, we'd have to pay them even more than Chaney is making now and give them a fat buyout because they'd see this as probably a one year stop too.

Oh, and our recruiting class, if it sticks, is probably going to be around 8th of 14 in the SEC at the end of the signing period. 8th place talent and the 14th place, unreplaceable coaching staff.

So we're stuck with the staff, we aren't upgrading the talent relative to the top of the conference and JG has another year of eligibility. Plus, our bright spot, the basketball team, can't play due to the damn pandemic that is causing more financial strain on the football team.

To quote the caller on sportstalk yesterday who was talking to Hyams about us not being able to afford to make a change "well, I guess we're just going to keep on sucking then."

DUDE, back away from the ledge and remember that solid QB play changes EVERYTHING! This team is no where near this bad but the lack of a QB is causing all sorts of issues that most people dont even attribute to the QB. The defense is struggling because we cant get 1st downs, the RB's are struggling because no one respects JG, the DB's are hoping for a turnover and taking chances because they know we cant score very much. I know CJP is for some unknown reason attached to this guy and wont move one and none of us know the real reason why, but dont get down on the rest of the team. This is UT's version of the Kevin Bacon game, we can blame the QB for every problem. Once tht issues get figured out, this team will look a lot different.

We are at one of the lowest points in the history of UT football (we've had many of them the last 8 years) and because of crass financial mismanagement in the athletics department for the last decade, we can't afford to move on from the supreme blunder that is dragging us to the bottom. We are also unlikely to be able to make any quality coaching changes. Who is a good position/assistant coach that A) Pruitt could find? B) Would be willing to hitch his wagon/future to Pruitt right now?

If I were a promising QB coach for instance, no way am I going to derail my career for spending what is likely one year with a guy who has a man-crush from hades on a single undevelopable quarterback. Why would I come here as a DL coach when the head coach doesn't let me or even the DC do the full job and will fire me regardless of how my unit is doing, while inexplicably keeping people on his staff who stink out loud?

If we tried to replace Chaney, we'd have to pay them even more than Chaney is making now and give them a fat buyout because they'd see this as probably a one year stop too.

Oh, and our recruiting class, if it sticks, is probably going to be around 8th of 14 in the SEC at the end of the signing period. 8th place talent and the 14th place, unreplaceable coaching staff.

So we're stuck with the staff, we aren't upgrading the talent relative to the top of the conference and JG has another year of eligibility. Plus, our bright spot, the basketball team, can't play due to the damn pandemic that is causing more financial strain on the football team.

To quote the caller on sportstalk yesterday who was talking to Hyams about us not being able to afford to make a change "well, I guess we're just going to keep on sucking then."
If I were in charge, I would fire Pruitt tomorrow and promote Chaney to acting HC. Keep the rest of the staff for the rest of the season to avoid that part of the buyout. And then just roll into the off-season with that interim setup. Stay with Chaney until Freeze or whoever you want becomes available. Or if Chaney excels, you already got him onboard and can make him permanent. Sort of like Orgeron at LSU or Fulmer at UT.

DUDE, back away from the ledge and remember that solid QB play changes EVERYTHING! This team is no where near this bad but the lack of a QB is causing all sorts of issues that most people dont even attribute to the QB. The defense is struggling because we cant get 1st downs, the RB's are struggling because no one respects JG, the DB's are hoping for a turnover and taking chances because they know we cant score very much. I know CJP is for some unknown reason attached to this guy and wont move one and none of us know the real reason why, but dont get down on the rest of the team. This is UT's version of the Kevin Bacon game, we can blame the QB for every problem. Once tht issues get figured out, this team will look a lot different.

Solid QB play doesn't change a defense that can't stop simple slant patterns or get to the QB.

If I were in charge, I would fire Pruitt tomorrow and promote Chaney to acting HC. Keep the rest of the staff for the rest of the season to avoid that part of the buyout. And then just roll into the off-season with that interim setup. Stay with Chaney until Freeze or whoever you want becomes available. Or if Chaney excels, you already got him onboard and can make him permanent. Sort of like Orgeron at LSU or Fulmer at UT.
Seems like a plan Fulmer would be into.

Seems like a plan Fulmer would be into.
It is a safe plan, something UT has shown itself averse to. But IMO it beats rolling the dice on another “Mr Toad’s Wild Ride” of a coaching search. It might actually look like a grown up was in charge for a change.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

I agree with everything except making Chaney the permanent HC. We should be finished with experiments.

Freeze, Campbell, maybe a few other established HCs or bust.

I also wouldn’t wait til tomorrow. I’d fire Pruitt’s incompetent, loser a$$ right now.

That is the problem we have had since we decided to fire Fulmer, either have a sure fire winner lined up, or stay with an interim while you continue shopping. UT continues to REACT and put itself into a panic buy situation time after time after time. Better to coast a year of uncertainty rather than risk the next 3 to 4 years on a Google search Coach.

Solid QB play doesn't change a defense that can't stop simple slant patterns or get to the QB.

Sure it would, its called momentum, they have none with jg. Get a good qb and you will see the difference all over the field. They have shown to be very good until jg screws up and zap, no momentum at all. 1st half of Ga. game we were ahead, then the real jg shows up. Same with Ky, I think they had 3 points at half time. A solid qb will do wonders for this team. Actually I don't see us losing but one game so far with a good qb, and that would be the bama game. We had Ga on the ropes. And we certainly would have beat Ky and Ark

That is the problem we have had since we decided to fire Fulmer, either have a sure fire winner lined up, or stay with an interim while you continue shopping. UT continues to REACT and put itself into a panic buy situation time after time after time. Better to coast a year of uncertainty rather than risk the next 3 to 4 years on a Google search Coach.

Freeze is available for a fair price.

I agree with everything except making Chaney the permanent HC. We should be finished with experiments.

Freeze, Campbell, maybe a few other established HCs or bust.
You only make Chaney the permanent HC if he earns it. If he goes in during 2021 and manages to win 2 of the big 3, heck ya give the man a contract. It might help TN to actually give an HC Candidate an incentive for a change. Promising to pay them obscene millions years into the future based on nothing but hope sure hasn’t worked out for us.

If you think about it, Tennessee hasn’t hired a proven top tier coach since Johnny majors in the 1970s. They keep cheaping out and trying to luck out on a hire.

Fulmer assistant worked out well, they got lucky
Kiffin - assistant bust
Dooley - La Tech bust
Butch - cincy bust
Pruitt - assistant bust

We need a current or former head coach with proven results for our next hire, whenever and whoever that may be.

If Freeze is ready to sign, I say send the UT Private Plane and roll out the Orange Carpet tomorrow.
Until then, I am still nervous that Freeze may be pulling a Mike Gundy salary stunt on us

Liberty is a PRIVATE school.

Would it, or is this just one more excuse we use to rationalize how bad we suck?

If Pruitt is let go this year Fulmer gonna be the coach-personally I think that’s always been his goal. Hope everbody has a healthy and safe Thanksgiving.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

This board is at its lowest point in history. There is more stupidity on here than during the Gruden era. I mean the posters who who know anything about football are in the 1% Club.

Reactions: PACKERVOL
You only make Chaney the permanent HC if he earns it. If he goes in during 2021 and manages to win 2 of the big 3, heck ya give the man a contract. It might help TN to actually give an HC Candidate an incentive for a change. Promising to pay them obscene millions years into the future based on nothing but hope sure hasn’t worked out for us.
That right there is what gets me about Tennessee, they've done it over and over again. Then cry about how cash strapped they are for overpaying bargain basement hires.

Reactions: tastycar

VN Store

Back