When Saban retires, what would CJP do if Bama called

Do you think most Bama fans will expect anything close to Saban? If they have at least one functioning brain cell, they will realize that a Nick Saban won’t come around again.
Actually I do think so. Even those that don't will be calling for the next coaches head once the success starts to drop off.

Reactions: 05_never_again
This thread seems way more at home on a Bama board, but, it’s the off-season.

Bama will be able to offer whoever they want enough money to make it hard to say no, and barring something like a Marshall situation it’s unlikely Bama has fallen far enough to not be one of the most attractive jobs in the nation.

I just don’t think Pruitt has enough time to prove himself before St Nick retires. I could see him being the guy after that if Saban’s replacement fails...which is probably not as likely as we would all hope. Saban’s replacement will be a proven coach with enough money to hire the best assistants and likely 5 years of Top 5 recruiting classes on the field. It’s not a bad recipe for success. Messing it up would be sort of like a top chef moving restaurants and then not being able to boil water.

I think Dabo is by far the most likely, but if I were him there is no way I would leave Clemson. If he says no, I don’t think that being a Bama grad or Saban’s assistant plays as much a role as just having a great record probably outside the SEC.

So, does Pruitt stay....who knows, but I don’t think there is a scenario where he gets the call after Saban. If he does, my guess is he and a large portion of his staff are gone...which is fine by me, because it means the Vols are back on top.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Dabo isn’t going anywhere. Didn’t he just sign a 10 year deal worth 93 million?? I fully expect him to fulfill that contract unless Bama were to offer something north of 10 mil a year to take over once Saban retires..

I believe that in Pruitt's mind, he's already gone. Everything he's doing here is just a stepping stone to get to where he ultimately WANTS to be, which is either Bama or the NFL. Never has Pruitt given me the impression that he sees us as a final destination type of job.

Reactions: 08Vol
Dabo isn’t going anywhere. Didn’t he just sign a 10 year deal worth 93 million?? I fully expect him to fulfill that contract unless Bama were to offer something north of 10 mil a year to take over once Saban retires..
Although it is my understanding that there is a " Bama Clause" in the contract that if they were to come calling there would be little to no buyout.

Do you think most Bama fans will expect anything close to Saban? If they have at least one functioning brain cell, they will realize that a Nick Saban won’t come around again.
You really overestimate how reasonable they are. They won't expect another Saban, no. But they will expect a guy who can win a title every two/three years. If their next coach (be it Dabo, Kirby, or whoever) doesn't win a title within his first couple years, I bet he's on a nuclear hot seat entering the third.

It would happen to any fanbase with the run of success they've had, but you have to remember how ill-prepared they are physiologically as fans to go 10-2 or 9-3 in a regular season. I mean, those are good seasons, but 9-3 to them is like Tennessee going 2-10. Think about it: 9-3 means they likely are losing to Auburn, LSU, and one other school in the same season, probably A&M (or Georgia if they were the cross-division team they played that year). In the moment, that will seem like one of the worst seasons in school history to them. The last year they weren't in the national title conversation at the back end of the regular season was 2010. 2010! Some of their younger fans cannot even remember personally experiencing a season where they haven't almost won or won a title.

So Dabo can be a god at Clemson or leave and be the guy who replaced Saban at Bama? Which means starting all over again with all the risks that entails, with his every move, every player compared to what Saban did before him.

And same for Pruitt if he succeeds here and beats Bama a few times to help force the old man into retirement.

Makes sense to me 🙄

Only way this happens is if either of those guys have Lane Kiffin sized egos that overwhelm their common sense.

1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

With only 2 quality wins to his name - they wouldn't even ask him.
They'd never hire a head football coach without a proven record. Not now.
I don't see Sab leaving anytime soon - only health or scandal would move him.

If they called, they would probably come correct with an appropriate offer, so he'd leave. A more entertaining thread than this might discuss whether the ceiling of 8-9 wins he might run into at TN if he coaches reeeeeeeaaaaaaaally well would be enough to justify his hiring at Bama. I say no, unless he is recruiting top 3 nationally. (I laughed a little, but I guess anything could happen.)

With what you know now as far as coaches, if 5 years from now CJP has us in the football playoff and rolling, who would you want that you think we would have a chance for if CJP left?

I just don’t see Dabo leaving Clemson. He has essentially a lifetime job there and he has it rolling with his systems and culture. Leaving just to go back to Tuscaloosa after he has made himself the face of Clemson football seems to be silly, especially to replace Saban after the Saban run.

If Pruitt is a top candidate for Bama HC when Saban retires that means he has done very well here. I know the allure of going home to Bama has to be strong for Pruitt but if he has UT at an early 90s to early 00s level (and I think that is what it would take for Pruitt to be a top candidate at Bama) and he is faced with succeeding Saban, who has gone on the most epic run in modern football, I think it’s a hard choice because it will be nearly impossible to duplicate the Saban run. Here, if he brings us back to the top, he will probably have a long term secure job and not winning a national title in the first few years at Bama would have him on the hot seat.

Remember when everyone was worried about Butch leaving for Michigan?

Maybe we should just wait and see.

Exactly.
Why post the original post if the OP is not surreptitiously trying to sow discord among the Vol fan base? What good does it serve other than generate talk during the off season. (And to carry on the conversation, does anyone really think Bammer is going to be interested until he beats Candy for heavens sake?)

(And to carry on the conversation, does anyone really think Bammer is going to be interested until he beats Candy for heavens sake?)

No. Which is why I'm guessing the OP plainly stated it was contingent on Pruitt doing well here.
But all he could do is state it plainly, can't force people to read thoroughly or comprehend... as evidenced by almost every post. 😅😅
Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

I've always said that this job for CJP is just an interview or ride or die type moment for him. Cause when Saban dies CJP is the first to be asked to replace him if he does good here

The only call Pruitt will receive from Tuscaloosa is about a defensive coordinator job after Freddie Kitchens is named head coach.

I hope they do come calling cause we all know what that means, but I'd also like to see what he does. I don't think hes as quick to leave as some of you say.

If Saban called him right now and told him he was retiring?

VN Store

Back