When did vulgar UT shirts become a thing?

Cursing is cursing. Choice of words is subjective. In England and Australia, they use the C word like we use the B word. They also call cigarettes F slurs. I have worked with a couple in my career and had to discuss their inappropriate language because females in the office got even more offended by the C word than the B word. Its quite the opposite across the big lake.

Personally, I didn't want my kids to hear any of it when they were little because you never knew what they would hear or repeat. When it really mattered, they couldn't really read anyway. So hearing it was about the only avenue of exposure.
I have traveled outside the US, and those are not standards that I would go by 😂 I was just raised ‘gently’ as they say, and don’t think damn is very offensive lol.. all of the other stuff, if you would not say it in front of older people, you probably shouldn’t say it in public lol

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I have traveled outside the US, and those are not standards that I would go by 😂 I was just raised ‘gently’ as they say, and don’t think damn is very offensive lol.. all of the other stuff, if you would not say it in front of older people, you probably shouldn’t say it in public lol
exactly. Subjective

The F word is becoming part of our everyday vernacular.
I enjoy old west lore (cowboys and indians). One thing I hear that the movies get wrong is the dialect. Those Irish, Germans, English who moved west didn't talk anything like the Duke or Clint. Language evolves. But, vulgar is always vulgar.

If it’s subjective to people, then wouldn’t it be the polite thing to err on the side of caution lol…
Absolutely it would, which is why vulgarity on shirts or in public is not really a good thing and is not usually acceptable, especially in the professional world. I was just pointing out that putting curse words on shirts has been around for a very long time and while maybe putting an F word on a Vol shirt is a relatively new thing, vulgarity as a whole has been around football for as long as I can remember.

That doesn't make it acceptable. However, no amount of pearl clutching is going to make it go away. In fact, I would bet good money that those using vulgarity or selling shirts with curse words on them are doing it mostly for a reaction and attention and therefore the folks who are offended by it and/or reacting to it are inadvertently fanning the flames of those who desire to offend.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I enjoy old west lore (cowboys and indians). One thing I hear that the movies get wrong is the dialect. Those Irish, Germans, English who moved west didn't talk anything like the Duke or Clint. Language evolves. But, vulgar is always vulgar.
So no more showing ankle in public for ladies? That used to be "vulgar" but isn't anymore. Cat calls at women used to be fine, but are now vulgar. Everything evolves and always has.

So no more showing ankle in public for ladies? That used to be "vulgar" but isn't anymore. Cat calls at women used to be fine, but are now vulgar. Everything evolves and always has.
But every period of time has had limits. Feels like there just aren't any limits or respect for others these days and I don't like it.

Just something I noticed at the orange bowl was a lot of fans wearing shirts emblazoned with an f-bomb on the front. This was easily seen in crowd shots as well when I rewatched the broadcast.

Maybe it's been going on for a while and I didn't notice. Maybe it took the really drunk lady in front of us screaming for my kids to read her shirt. Maybe I'm just old and need to buy one too be cool again. Idk
Look at me, look at me!

1990 Sugar Bowl I bought a “F@?k Virginia” shirt. I chose that over the “piss on Virginia” option. I was 17 and had no business in New Orleans

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I was raised in a Christian home with a father who served 20 years, enlisted, and did not put up with his kids being rude, disrespectful, or vulgar. Less and less of this today vs 1970s. I miss those days. Doesn't mean there were bad things these folks overlooked like racial inequalities or treatment of men vs women. I am thankful society has "woke up" on behalf of treating people as you would like to be treated. I am equally sad at those who "woke up" to be even more disrespectful, hateful, and just as ugly as the people they are protesting. Can't stop someone from burning a flag, but I will pray that they do not do it again. That they spend time with a veteran who gave up something so that they could burn that flag. My opinion. We have a choice to be better....or for some folks...a lot worse.

Just something I noticed at the orange bowl was a lot of fans wearing shirts emblazoned with an f-bomb on the front. This was easily seen in crowd shots as well when I rewatched the broadcast.

Maybe it's been going on for a while and I didn't notice. Maybe it took the really drunk lady in front of us screaming for my kids to read her shirt. Maybe I'm just old and need to buy one too be cool again. Idk
I haven’t noticed them this year but I rarely acknowledge people due to stupidity now days anyway. I contribute it to a lack of class and/or morals.🤷‍♂️

I was raised in a Christian home with a father who served 20 years, enlisted, and did not put up with his kids being rude, disrespectful, or vulgar. Less and less of this today vs 1970s. I miss those days. Doesn't mean there were bad things these folks overlooked like racial inequalities or treatment of men vs women. I am thankful society has "woke up" on behalf of treating people as you would like to be treated. I am equally sad at those who "woke up" to be even more disrespectful, hateful, and just as ugly as the people they are protesting. Can't stop someone from burning a flag, but I will pray that they do not do it again. That they spend time with a veteran who gave up something so that they could burn that flag. My opinion. We have a choice to be better....or for some folks...a lot worse.

Well said!
👍

Dang these shirts and their offensive words! What if my child reads a bad word on a shirt and is traumatized for life? You expect me to take the time to tell my child that just because some people are choosing to wear/use bad words, that doesn't mean they can. When I was a kid there were consequences for talking like that, and it didn't matter if I just said something myself or if I read it off a shirt. I knew better than to do that. My parents made it very clear. I could be wrong but having an offensive shirt policy at the game won't be the difference between any child's success or failure. If you find yourself offended at the message written on a shirt, don't read the shirt again. Don't buy that shirt. They bought it cause they like it. Maybe they're kind of dull and need that shirt as an ice breaker/ conversation starter. Maybe it was a gift. Are words so hurtful that we need a dress code to make sure we never happen to briefly read certain ones? I'm pretty sure that they used to say something about sticks and stones back in the day too. Seems like that was good advice.

Using the words wasn't the point as I've used enough for 2 people in the past decade of UT football. Putting them on UT branded shirts was more the question

FWIW, I've seen these guys at Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida, Bama, and Kentucky and I'm sure they're at dozens of others. Same fonts, same everything.

They are in no way connected to those schools, or the players on the shirt (Hendon F***in' Hooker was one they sold this year that was particularly bad because i know it would have bothered Hooker to see it). They print up a bunch, send some dudes out sell them out of a backpack when the cops and trademark/brand people at UT are too busy to do anything on gameday, then vanish.

I've seen them confronted before, but its been a couple years.

You should listen to my 14 year old's Spotify playlists. My wife and I are constantly amazed on what is said in some of these "songs" and my daughter routinely lets some of these words slip. Obviously when I was a teen it seemed cool to cuss, but there were words (f-word, c-word, b-word, etc..) that we just didn't say especially in front of adults (our parents or friends parents). This is just another example of how the entertainment industry is trying to subvert societal norms and indoctrinate our children. jmo
Get them into death metal. You cant understand the lyrics or read the band logo names so its win/win. No harm no foul.

But every period of time has had limits. Feels like there just aren't any limits or respect for others these days and I don't like it.
I see tons of limits on "vulgar". They are mostly about race/gender/sexual orientation/political ideology/religious beliefs/ect. Vulgar is about context/intent to me. Language is arbitrary. Trying to make specific words inherently vulgar is an idea that is kind of falling by the way side.

I can understand not caring for that. But the practice doesn't make much sense, objectively. Why is the s word bad but poop fine? They are both 4 letter words that mean the same thing.

People certainly seem more disrespectful to one another. But I would suggest that taking the "naughty words" away wouldn't help that. I know I can be pretty darn disrespectful without "cussing".

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
You should listen to my 14 year old's Spotify playlists. My wife and I are constantly amazed on what is said in some of these "songs" and my daughter routinely lets some of these words slip. Obviously when I was a teen it seemed cool to cuss, but there were words (f-word, c-word, b-word, etc..) that we just didn't say especially in front of adults (our parents or friends parents). This is just another example of how the entertainment industry is trying to subvert societal norms and indoctrinate our children. jmo

Parents for generations have thought this.

Yeah, I'm no saint and I let some stuff fly when I'm angry. The golf course, for example, holds ample opportunity for me to test my self knowledge of more intricate expletive pairings....and let them fly under my breath. I don't really swear in the course of normal, everyday conversation, but sometimes things slip. And I occasionally type "s***" on Vol Nation....but wearing vulgarity as fashion just indicates a lack of awareness. Sure, they're free to do it. They are also free to be ridiculed and subsequently thought less of.

Reactions: EasternVol
That's incredibly rich because Ted Kacyznski (The Unabomber) was an alum and faculty member at Michigan.
Sounds like you've stumbled onto a great idea for a t shirt for OSU, MSU and anyone who plays Michigan.

Unabomber_sketch.jpg

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back