What would you prefer?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with Miami, as they're a POS program we shouldn't want to emulate.......

and I've already showed UNC paid big money to throw academics under the bus. It wasn't about paying players, it was about classes and those classes were not specific to athletes. The NCAA CANNOT sanction and rule about academics UNLESS the classes are specific to athletes. UNC got it booted to academics and got put on probation by the academics regulators.

So I see your vision of UT Athletics: let's either become a POS always openly cheating program like Miami or Arizona or LSU....... or let's make our academics side look like crap.

Great. I get it.

LOL

I see you are one of those.

I'm not naive but if you want UT Athletics to be on the same level as Miami or AZ in reputation, I see you are one of those who wants us to be trash.

I want us to be playing for championships and over penalizing ourselves is not how we get there.

I hate to break it to you but the only "reputation" that matters these days is a reputation of winning.

I want us to be playing for championships and over penalizing ourselves is not how we get there.

I hate to break it to you but the only "reputation" that matters these days is a reputation of winning.
Then expect, like Miami and AZ, to see the NCAA every 4 or 5 years. That's good for a program, eh?

I think the penalty should be that Jeremy Pruitt has to wear a I HATE BAMA t-shirt everyday for the next 5 years.

Over penalizing? 50+ violations, 3 coaches fired with cause, entire football recruiting staff fired, AD retired....... but a bowl ban and scholarships is over penalizing? Compliance training should cover it, eh? And don't take some visits...... 🙄

I want to win games. PERIOD. A bowl ban is not a factor in that (with the exception of the bowl game itself). We can amass a good regular season W/L record and just not go to a bowl. A scholarship reduction though effects EVERY game. Take the bowl ban, leave the scholarships. Beat one of the big three and people will celebrate in the streets much more than they would an invite to the Music City bowl10DA8B14-8EF8-47CE-9C6C-30BD0B94C619.gif

And further, this is a perfect storm. Everyone bitches that the NCAA has no backbone and lets all these programs slide - because they have no subpoena power - and it is beyond difficult to prosecute like would normally happen (LSU, UNC, Etc Etc etc) - I can guarantee you they are sick of hearing this - we are a big name program facing 51 - yes - not one Cam Newton Charge - but FIFTY ONE serious allegations. That we’ve admitted to.
They are gonna bury us like we haven’t seen since SMU.
Anybody thinks we are “back” in five - ten years has their head in the sandy beach.
They aren’t giving TN the death penalty. SMU was a repeat violator, everyone knew they were cheating and did nothing to stop it. Baylor was eligible for the death penalty but NCAA praised them for taking swift action firing the coach (sound familiar?) NCAA has nothing to gain by issuing another death penalty, it completely destroyed SMU. It took them 32 years just to be ranked again. Penn St was the most severe penalties since SMU and they reversed course on them as well.

They aren’t giving TN the death penalty. SMU was a repeat violator, everyone knew they were cheating and did nothing to stop it. Baylor was eligible for the death penalty but NCAA praised them for taking swift action firing the coach (sound familiar?) NCAA has nothing to gain by issuing another death penalty, it completely destroyed SMU. It took them 32 years just to be ranked again. Penn St was the most severe penalties since SMU and they reversed course on them as well.
I don't think we're near SMU or Penn State territory, yet..... but I see the "win no matter what" contingent doesn't seem to get that the NCAA will come back if we don't get smarter about getting the job done and not getting caught.

My fear is they're going to root around and squeeze some donor who admits to helping out the Lady Vols or Basketball Vols too....... which would be another level of hell.

I don't think we're near SMU or Penn State territory, yet..... but I see the "win no matter what" contingent doesn't seem to get that the NCAA will come back if we don't get smarter about getting the job done and not getting caught.

My fear is they're going to root around and squeeze some donor who admits to helping out the Lady Vols or Basketball Vols too....... which would be another level of hell.
That is what put Baylor on the death penalty hot seat. Tennis was already on probation for Major infractions, then came basketball.

Any person smart enough to have donor money laying around is smart enough to know the NCAA has no power whatsoever over them. It is impossible to squeeze someone who can and will tell you to F off.

Any person smart enough to have donor money laying around is smart enough to know the NCAA has no power whatsoever over them. It is impossible to squeeze someone who can and will tell you to F off.
Depending on whether the NCAA says the thing dirty rich people hate: I.R.S.

Depending on whether the NCAA says the thing dirty rich people hate: I.R.S.
The tax liability is on the recipient. You can gift anyone any amount.
I wonder what the dirty rich people at all schools will now pay for an autograph?
Especially if it happens to be on a Letter of Intent?

The tax liability is on the recipient. You can gift anyone any amount.
I wonder what the dirty rich people at all schools will now pay for an autograph?
Especially if it happens to be on a Letter of Intent?
If the money is shown to be funneled from accounts set up by a business, etc using interesting accounting techniques, donors would prefer that to remain between them and the NCAA.

Leverage. What folks want to keep buried is what makes the world go around and it's why we'll eventually pay off Pruitt.

Here's a better question:

Would you rather

A. Take a bowl ban right now for 2021 and that's the only punishment
B. Fight the NCAA until May 2023 but be cleared of all allegations
Then I would have to question how fighting it would help or hurt us over the next 2 yrs. If the cons outweigh the pros, I'd just take the bowl ban.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Then I would have to question how fighting it would help or hurt us over the next 2 yrs. If the cons outweigh the pros, I'd just take the bowl ban.

If you fight it and win, you'd have to pay Pruitt

If you fight it for next 2 years, that will be against you in recruiting for next 2-3 cycles

I'd take the bowl ban

If the money is shown to be funneled from accounts set up by a business, etc using interesting accounting techniques, donors would prefer that to remain between them and the NCAA.

Leverage. What folks want to keep buried is what makes the world go around and it's why we'll eventually pay off Pruitt.
I agree, UT will eventually make settlement with Pruitt.
I have said so since he was fired. I was blasted on this forum for that opinion. Was asked in what States I was licensed as an attorney. Some folks have never heard the old sayings about not opening that can of worms and let a sleeping dog lie.
Enforcement of perjury laws is the thing that keeps our judicial system functioning. No sane person would want a fired ex coach or AD on the stand naming names. Money will be made available to pay Pruitt, as much as we all hate it.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution

If you fight it for next 2 years, that will be against you in recruiting for next 2-3 cycles

I'd take the bowl ban
This is why I'm coming around to thinking getting out in front of the NCAA and self imposing a bowl ban and a scholarship ding for a year is worth looking at. We've got a ton of violations so it's not going to be either/or but both and getting it over with ASAP gets us through the mud quicker.

It sucks, but starting the hard part sooner rather than later lets us put it behind us sooner and lessens the negative recruiting as much as possible.

I'd take the bowl ban
Well if you put it like that we might as well rip off the bandaid, offer a 2yr bowl ban, & a major donation to the National Scholarship fund to dead the entire situation today. The majority of our guys have played in at least 1 bowl gamw already and the ones who havent would have an opportunity before they leave. Future recruiting classes wouldnt be really effected at all.

Well if you put it like that we might as well rip off the bandaid, offer a 2yr bowl ban, & a major donation to the National Scholarship fund to dead the entire situation today. The majority of our guys have played in at least 1 bowl gamw already and the ones who havent would have an opportunity before they leave. Future recruiting classes wouldnt be really effected at all.

If we were a team that was within a playoff window, I'd say fight since we could likely handle the recruiting hits.

Next year, our peak is likely a bowl game in Nashville or Memphis.

Just think I'd rather rip the band aid and be done with it

Reactions: 901 Orange

VN Store

Back