What would it take to change your mind about JG?

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?
Consistency. That's what is missing from his game.

He needs to put the ball in the end zone. He only has 1 game with 3 TD passes and it was against an FCS team. Over the past 2 years JG only has 3 more TDs than Trask did in 2019 and Trask only started playing due to injury late in UF’s 3rd game.

This is the last game he played. He led the team to the red zone 3 times and couldn’t score. It was the 2017 UF game all over again. Our RBs and O-line won us the bowl game.
Against Indiana JG attempted 12 passes in the red zone. 8 incompletes, 1 dump off, 3 passes that resulted in a 1st down (one was by penalty). We had drives die at the 2, 6, and 13. JG’s 2 interceptions led to 10 IU points.

JG has received a lot of hate throughout his career here at UT, a lot of which is completely justified. That said, what would it take this season for your opinion on JG's time at TN to change into one that's more on the positive side?

For me, I'd like to see a minimum of 7 wins (given the difficultly of our 10-game schedule, and assuming that he's the starter for all 10 games). I'd like to also see a minimum of 23 TD passes, and no more than 7 interceptions. With the talent we have on the o-line, and the threat that our backfield will place on opponents, there's no reason this shouldn't be doable.

If JG were able to do that, I believe I would look back at his career as "the guy who helped Tennessee slowly build its way back into being a contender". I'd see him as a building block/stepping stone that was necessary for TN to take the next step to getting back to where they're supposed to be. And to me, that would be positive opinion on his time at UT.

What would it take for you?
You’re asking what it would take to change my opinion of Guarantano to “one on the more positive side”. So my question to you is, after everything we’ve seen from him over the last 3 years, after 34 games and nearly 650 pass attempts.....after so much consistent play, so many poor decisions, so many blow out losses to our rivals with him at QB.....what will it take for you to change your opinion of Guarantano to “one on the more negative side”? How much more do you actually need to see of this guy to know who he is as a football player and know that he just ain’t the guy?

Simply not true of the 2018 and 2019 seasons

Last season, Guarantano was sacked six times, per PFF, in under 2.5 seconds. That’s about in line with the other four guys, all of whom were sacked four times in the same scenario. Guarantano’s “average time to throw” was 2.35 seconds. Fromm’s was 2.38 seconds, a feat he’s repeated exactly to the second the last two seasons. Now “time to throw” doesn’t automatically indicate throws under pressure. It’s simply how quickly a quarterback gets rid of the ball. Per the data, Guarantano typically did a nice job making decisive decisions.

Conversely, Guarantano really struggled when he held the ball for longer than 2.5 seconds...Since he was a freshman, Guarantano has had bouts where he holds on the ball too long. Of his 22 sacks last season, 16 came on plays where he was in the pocket for longer than 2.5 seconds. Two of his three interceptions came on such throws, too.

VolQuest - A deep dive into Jarrett Guarantano’s 2018 season using PFF data.
Not sure where the numbers come from but JG's avg time to throw last fall was 2nd worst in the league ahead of Bowden (a WR playing QB) at 2.74 seconds.

I believe the article you referenced is from May of last year though.

Notably, JG threw only 5 balls away all last year and was not sacked often. His problems did not stem from pass rush pressure.

Not sure where the numbers come from but JG's avg time to throw last fall was 2nd worst in the league ahead of Bowden (a WR playing QB) at 2.74 seconds.

I believe the article you referenced is from May of last year though.

Notably, JG threw only 5 balls away all last year and was not sacked often. His problems did not stem from pass rush pressure.

Those numbers are from the 2018 season.

Reactions: sjt18
He needs to put the ball in the end zone. He only has 1 game with 3 TD passes and it was against an FCS team. Over the past 2 years JG only has 3 more TDs than Trask did in 2019 and Trask only started playing due to injury late in UF’s 3rd game.

This is the last game he played. He led the team to the red zone 3 times and couldn’t score. It was the 2017 UF game all over again. Our RBs and O-line won us the bowl game.
Against Indiana JG attempted 12 passes in the red zone. 8 incompletes, 1 dump off, 3 passes that resulted in a 1st down (one was by penalty). We had drives die at the 2, 6, and 13. JG’s 2 interceptions led to 10 IU points.
Impossible. Pulaski said he is where he needs to be development wise.

Interesting. He actually slowed down by 17% yet some still blame the OL?

Makes sense though. The oline improved quite a bit from the last half of 2018 until the end of 2019. Giving JG more protection would seem to increase the likelihood that he's going to hold onto the ball too long, given that he already has the propensity to do so regardless of protection.

ALL you need are a minimum of 7 SEC wins?? Lol what a bar to set. Not a soul has set that bar. Vegas has us at 5.5 and fpi at 4. But go ahead and set crazy high bars and be disappointed if the TEAM can't reach them. Guess CJP will be on the hot seat too? 😑

Makes sense though. The oline improved quite a bit from the last half of 2018 until the end of 2019. Giving JG more protection would seem to increase the likelihood that he's going to hold onto the ball too long, given that he already has the propensity to do so regardless of protection.
The bad part is more time doesn't make him better. The passes he needs to hit that he isn't are the quick ones or the ones thrown on time. Holding the ball while not anticipating throws well just gives the secondary time to cover up.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
The bad part is more time doesn't make him better. The passes he needs to hit that he isn't are the quick ones or the ones thrown on time. Holding the ball while not anticipating throws well just gives the secondary time to cover up.

It's because he waits to throw to the receiver at the end of the route, instead of throwing to the point on the field at the end of the route, where the receiver will end up as long as he runs his route correctly.

Honestly, I don't know how you fix that kind of flaw in a QB at this point in their career.

ALL you need are a minimum of 7 SEC wins?? Lol what a bar to set. Not a soul has set that bar. Vegas has us at 5.5 and fpi at 4. But go ahead and set crazy high bars and be disappointed if the TEAM can't reach them. Guess CJP will be on the hot seat too? 😑
5 wins seat is warm. 4 wins or less he is hot. Imo

At this point with a 5th yr QB we should taken one from TAMU or AUBURN...period...

Reactions: 08Vol
It's because he waits to throw to the receiver at the end of the route, instead of throwing to the point on the field at the end of the route, where the receiver will end up as long as he runs his route correctly.

Honestly, I don't know how you fix that kind of flaw in a QB at this point in their career.
Good QB's at any college level throws a receiver open....JG is one of the worst I've ever seen at doing that....It's the QB's job to do that....it's the WR's job to be there.

Reactions: 08Vol and sjt18
Pick up a blind side blitz read
Show some consistency
Throw to a receiver getting open instead of waiting to see them open before throwing.

He's an enigma. You wanna root for the kid. He's been through a lot. Likeable kid. He is just wildly inconsistent.

Pretty much sums it up. What will change my mind? Nothing, because in order for my mind to be changed, I'd have to sit through JG starting again, which is just awful. Here's a question, how many starts does a QB need before he stops staring down his receivers?

Enough. I"d rather start Bailey and let him have at it.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back