What would be the reaction if they went this route?

My biggest issue with Cut is age and "fire"...I wonder how hard he actually hits the recruiting trail since most guys that go to Duke to play football aren't really going to play ball but for the prestige of a Duke degree.

That said though, do we throw money at a head coach to land what appears to be a generational type player in Manning?

Somewhere along the way I would imagine Cutcliffe got tired of carrying the water for Fulmer.

Doubt he would consider bailing Phil out again.

He is in a good spot with little pressure at Duke and had to pass on ND awhile back due to health issues.
That was before he came back to UT...so AWHILE back.

Cut has looked below average at Duke. Duke is a historically bad football program, but some really good coaches got their start winning at historically bad football programs. James Franklin won big at Vandy and Mullen won big at MS State.

Forget it, that time has passed. I've been thinking about it and decided, Kiffin is the answer. Freeze has too much baggage, and if you check his record out minus the forfeited games for cheating, pretty pedestrian (I'll give you the Liberty stuff, which does keep him interesting ). Kiffin has been here, he knows the demands and landscape. He has lots of experience, he is an offensive genius, he's a great recruiter, and he can build a staff--and I think he'd like a second chance in Knoxville. Just MHO.

Reactions: jacvols and cgrish
It’s seriously come to this?

A sports writer thinks Tennessee “should” (at some point) hire Cutcliffe......who barely has an overall winning record, and who is nearing 70, to come in and “restore” this program.

One.....he wouldn’t......he’s getting older and has it gravy at Duke.

Two.......it would be a terrible idea.

There are only 3 options.
1. Keep on with Pruitt and keep on sucking, with some mild success every now and then.

2. Fire Pruitt, and put up the $$ for a top notch coach......they will have to over pay......but it is what it is.

3. Fire Pruitt, and hire the next Butch Pruitt......and keep paying out millions for losses.

Tennessee will do #1, for a while, then pay and do #3, and pay for much of the same.

And using the argument that the anti-Mike Leach geniuses pointed out when he was under consideration, David hasn’t won anything in 20 years as a head coach so he must not be any good:rolleyes:

I always look at that decision by Hamilton as a turning point for our program. If Cut had come here, he’d likely still be our coach and we would probably be in the Top 25 nearly every season.

Hamilton didn’t wanna pay buyouts to Kiffin’s staff while bringing back a lot of assistants (Under Cut) who he just fired when he canned Phil. Regardless, Cut and Bray together would have been lit

Reactions: VOL6479
Cut doesn't want the job today. If he did he would have already had it. I'm sure he was the first person Fulmer reached out to before he hired Pruitt.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Cutc!iff will never leave Duke upright unless he retires. He loves them and they love him. I think it transcends money and past. I say that based on living in the general area and watching interviews with him.

They don’t even touch on the #1 reason to hire him.

QB. What’s everybody complaining about at UT right now? How many has he put in the NFL...from Duke for crying out loud.

People say you want to a hire a proven head coach, well he is one.

Of course, he has it made there, I get the impression he likes his life and he knows exactly what kind of mess we have in Knoxville.
QB (Arch) was the reason

This should have been done after Kiffin left....for now it is a backup to a backup plan. What it means is they didn’t have a plan when they fired Pruitt and we would be in the middle of another crazy coaching search

We’re years past this being a good move. The man will be 67 next season and we’d be right back in another coaching search within a few years.
What is cutcliff's w-l record at Duke and how many championships has he won?

My biggest issue with Cut is age and "fire"...I wonder how hard he actually hits the recruiting trail since most guys that go to Duke to play football aren't really going to play ball but for the prestige of a Duke degree.

That said though, do we throw money at a head coach to land what appears to be a generational type player in Manning?

Like Vandy

Reactions: IndianaVol

VN Store

Back