What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Rolling Stones in Knoxville, 1970 or 71; saw them again in Cowboy Stadium in 1980 or 81.

Best: hard to choose between the Stones, Jethro Tull (Knoxville, mid-70s) and Frank Zappa (Houston, 1983, in what's now Joel Osteen's church)

Worst: either (1) Leon Russell (Knoxville, mid-70s) when he complained of a stiff neck, was probably hung over and basically mailed it in; or (2) the Doobie Brothers / Santana concert in The Woodlands (outdoor venue near Houston) this past summer. The Doobies were better than expected (was never a big fan), did all their hits without missing a lick; but Santana is not what he once was, and it was a hot muggy night to boot.

Reactions: Go aeiou and MAD
First: Third Day/TobyMac

Best: A bunch of good ones. Zac Brown (twice), Billy Joel, Garth Brooks, Aerosmith, Queen w/Adam Lambert were all excellent. I work CMA Fest every year, so we always get at least one night of the stadium concert. Seen a lot of good and bad there.

Worst: Rod Stewart. Not a huge fan at all, but my fiancee (wife now) wanted to go for her birthday. Too hot in Bridgestone Arena in late July. But Lynyrd Skynyrd on NYE in Nashville a few years ago was also extremely disappointing (I know, I know, they aren't the original). Tim McGraw wasn't very good either.

Reactions: MAD
Best me and my high school buds playing together second best Grateful Dead Southern California outside stadium not really a worse to be honest

First - Kansas in mid seventies

Best - Springsteen - 15 people had an absolute ball on stage for two hours.

Worst - Willie Nelson & Kenny Rogers recently at Riverbend. Can no longer sing.

First: Bullet for my Valentine at exit/in

Best: The Movement and Stick Figure

Worst: Bob Weir

First - Cheap Trick 1981
Best - between Van Halen , AC DC, Travis
Tritt and Queen/Paul Rodgers.
Forget: John Mellencamp & Bob Seger
Hard to pick one best.
Worst: Ted Nugent with Molly Hatchet opening for him.

First: Earth, Wind and Fire, Emotions, Ramsey Lewis with my parents, Chattanooga Memorial Auditorium ~1976/1977
Best: Eric B & Rakim, UTC Roundhouse, 1988
Worst: De La Soul & Goodie Mob, Columbia, S.C., ~1996/1997

First I am sort of hazy but think it was Berlin with the Thompson Twins at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville.

Worst Willie and Merle approx. 10-15 years ago at the Opry House. They were messed up. The whole thing sounded like crap. Most of the audience was wasted and probably remembers it much differently that I do. I am rating this worse than a David Allan Coe show at the Yellow Rose in Macon, Ga where I am 99.9% sure the entire "performance" consisted of lip syncing and air guitar while a copy of his greatest hits album played and I really thought the headliner may have died on stage until I saw him on television a few years later.

Best is very difficult and probably more of a sentimental choice than one based on virtuosity. I waited over two decades for the Police reunion and seeing them in Miami in 2007 fulfilled a wish I'd carried since my early youth.

Reactions: GoVols64 and MAD
Seems like a lot of "Ted Nugent" in the worst category. I've had several people tell me it was just loud noise. My Doctor blames his wearing hearing aids on Nugent. Said his ears rang in the car after the concert.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
What was the first, best and worst concert you attended?

First: Steve Winwood, Roll with it tour in 1988, Columbus, Ohio, had backstage passes, was so much fun. One of my favorite songs back in the early 80’s was “While you see a chance”

Best: Smokey Robinson, in 2000, Columbus Zoo Amphitheater. That guy was incredible, plus I don’t think he ages.

Worst: UB40, 1988, Columbus, Ohio. I have always loved this band, but was disappointed that it seemed like it was lip synced, sounded exactly like the CD, not live at all.

First: Sawyer Brown TN valley fair when I was around 7 1990 or 1991.

Best: Slayer 1999 Electric ballroom Knoxville, TN. Twas the diabolus in Musica tour. 16 years old and had to make a fake ID to get in the door. Interesting tidbit, Terry Lanell (K TOWN Daddy) from Smokey MTN wrestling was in attendance. He had to leave early because everyone wanted to beat his azz. Dude was a major sh1t talker on public access TV back in the day.

Worst: Bret Michaels (former singer from poison) 2011 House of Blues Myrtle Beach, SC. Still pissed to this day I had to Pay 60 bucks a ticket. My wife thought it would be good but I knew better. The things we do for our loved ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoVols64 and MAD
Seems like a lot of "Ted Nugent" in the worst category. I've had several people tell me it was just loud noise. My Doctor blames his wearing hearing aids on Nugent. Said his ears rang in the car after the concert.

Saw Ted open for Skinner at Nashville fairgrounds speedway in 70’s, sitting on the track in front of stage WOW thats how rock n roll is suppose to be for me. It was great! Nugent played a lot with the Amboy dukes in our area ( East TN/west NC) back in the day. And J Winter was to be in Nashville that night, but a no show

Speaking of loud R&R
Saw Ronnie Montros at the Coach House a small venue, in San Clemente, I believe his last show before he passed. Great, loud, blow your hair back rock for three old guys playing for two hours. Loved every second
Peace

Speaking of loud R&R
Saw Ronnie Montros at the Coach House a small venue, in San Clemente, I believe his last show before he passed. Great, loud, blow your hair back rock for three old guys playing for two hours. Loved every second
Peace

How is your hearing?
Mine sucks, and I blame rock music. Still love it if good quality though.

First: Beach Boys & Chicago together, Raleigh, 1996.
Best: Rage Against the Machine, Atlanta, 1999.
Worst: Goo Goo Dolls, Knoxville, 2002??

Worth noting that I’ve seen Dave Matthews Band and Widespread Panic x10 each. All great!

Reactions: 9296potsguy and MAD
First: Bad Company Knoxville Civic Coliseum 1977
Best: Judas Priest Dallas Reunion Arena 1984
Worst: Granati Brothers (opening act for Van Halen in 79 or 80)

Most seen: Rush - 9 times R.I.P. Neil Peart

First: John Fogerty with my parents when I was 8. (1985...Sheesh.)
Worst: Bone Thugs-N-Hamrony when I was in HS (1995)
Best: Tool (2001)

First: R&B revue with Red Foxx (I think) as emcee in mid-60s at Civic Coliseum. Won tickets in a WKGN call-in contest. Too young to drive, so Dad dropped me off at CC.
About three years later, with a driver's license, Dylan on Highway 61 tour …began acoustic, and then plugged in. Apparently un-cool according to HS classmates.

Luckiest to see: Flying Burrito Brothers on first tour. Dude who booked concert for alma mater in NC really knew what he was goin ahn. Much later, memorial concert for Alex Chilton in Memphis.

biggest disappointments missing Replacements and Posies on same bill. . Was raising family and too busy working. Years later, Dead and then the Pixies, --- only because sound was terrible in Bham venues. Also, having Who tickets refunded because of Entwistle death.

FYI: Jayhawks never, never tire of seeing the Jayhawks play

wife claims I must get hearing aid

VN Store

Back