What Top Tier Coaches Would Come To Tennessee Right Now ?

You think Fedora is better than what we have now? Look at his losses and if they happen here we will be doing this all over again. Unstability has been an issue and we do not need to start over by bringing in a coach that is no better than we have now. We need to get an AD first.

You think Fedora is better than what we have now? Look at his losses and if they happen here we will be doing this all over again. Unstability has been an issue and we do not need to start over by bringing in a coach that is no better than we have now. We need to get an AD first.

I was just looking at established coaches that I think we could get without pay liked 8 million.

At 2 million a year, Fedora is vastly underpaid...I would offer him 4 million all day long...and Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax like NC

Fedora is not our savior I can promise you that, he's butch without the stupid comments. He can't win the big games but comes oh so close and then loses when he's not suppose to oh and an occasional win he wasn't suppose to get. X and O's he has a slight edge over butch. Larry Fedora's record 74-43 Butch Jones 79-47. Enough said.

same ones as the last TWO times it was open....nobody.

USC and LSU have been open since and no big time winners wanted those jobs. Both schools HAD to settle for assistants.

This just in, folks, if a coach is winning big somewhere, he is very unlikely to move for just the money. It better be his alma mater, dream school (meyer) or someplace he thinks he can dominate (saban at Alabama). Considering former Tennessee players are on social media trashing the program, I think we can forget hiring an alum.

And Georgia and South Carolina ended up hiring assistants from other SEC schools last year. Folks just don't get it.

A big time coach who is winning is going to more than likely stay put. Why roll the dice for a job that will result with the this type of nonsense if they don't win the championship in their first year?

Oh my bad, I misread it as since 2004..in 2004 we were 10-3 or 77%

again. I'm asking our overall cumulative winning percentage from the dawn of football til 2004 compared to our overall cumulative winning percentage from the dawn of football til now.

And you all are killing the program with all this negativity and nonsense over things you can not and do not control.

I understand being upset - but time to move on and decide whether you are going to continue to support the UT Football team or not. Let those that need to make decisions, make decisions. You all have absolutely no say in that matter.

And you all are killing the program with all this negativity and nonsense over things you can not and do not control.

I understand being upset - but time to move on and decide whether you are going to continue to support the UT Football team or not. Let those that need to make decisions, make decisions. You all have absolutely no say in that matter.

Fans have tons of say in the matter. Funny that you don't get that.

So we have no say, but are killing the program.

Reactions: 3 people
so, what was UT's overall winning percentage in 2004 compared to now?

Wikipedia lists the vols at 825-365-54, but they list Jones as 26-19. Through this season he is 29-21 so if you assume the W/L total does not factor in those 5 games, Tennessee is 828-367-54. Wikipedia lists the vols at 0.683 win pct, however I'm not sure how they're coming up with it. I calculated it to be 0.6845 with ties counting as 1/2 win as is customary.

At the end of the 2004 season, if you subtract 2005-2016, the Vols were 747-298-54 at 0.7043 win pct (again by my calculation). This means since 2005 our winning percentage has decreased by 2.8%.

*EDIT*
Wikipedia lists the vols as 825-368-54. My mistake.

Taking that into account, my calculation matches theirs - 0.6832 win pct, factor in the 5 games excluded puts us at 0.6829. 2004: 747-301-54 win pct .7024 with a win pct drop since then by 2.77%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wikipedia lists the vols at 825-365-54, but they list Jones as 26-19. Through this season he is 29-21 so if you assume the W/L total does not factor in those 5 games, Tennessee is 828-367-54. Wikipedia lists the vols at 0.683 win pct, however I'm not sure how they're coming up with it. I calculated it to be 0.6845 with ties counting as 1/2 win as is customary.

At the end of the 2004 season, if you subtract 2005-2016, the Vols were 747-298-54 at 0.7043 win pct (again by my calculation). This means since 2005 our winning percentage has decreased by 2.8%.

Thank you. IMO, a 2.8% decrease when looking at 120 years of football is not "a drop in the bucket". That's a substantial dropoff.

And Georgia and South Carolina ended up hiring assistants from other SEC schools last year. Folks just don't get it.

A big time coach who is winning is going to more than likely stay put. Why roll the dice for a job that will result with the this type of nonsense if they don't win the championship in their first year?

...and there in lies the rub....unless you're going to throw the bank at a premium coach, why would they?

I'm about as disappointed as the vast majority of VOL fans...this year has been bad. IMO, it's been more about effort and discipline than play calling though. That's still coaching and makes one wonder what is going on inside the program. It could be nothing, or something very serious that will effect more than just 1 game.

Thing is, just about every guy out there various folks want to throw in the mix have their own warts...and aren't statistically or vastly better than CBJ by record or questionable losses. Don't know if pulling the plug at this point is the right call or not.

However, if you're going to roll the dice...I'd take a hard look at Willie Taggart - dude has taken 2 programs from nothing to something in relatively short times...weaker leagues, but winning against his competition. WKU was breaking into FBS and he had them winning in his second year, and probably set them up for the run they've had since. Likewise, he got USF back on the plus side in 3 years and appears to have them on the right track.

Neal Brown is another intriguing young guy - may be too early, but he's doing pretty well w/ Troy and has a decent coordinator resume. I'm betting he ends up at UK eventually if no other big schools gets him first.

to be more clear about not being just a drop in the bucket, a 70.4% winning percentage would put us 8th all time. Dropping to 68% drops us to 13th. I consider that a big drop in just 10 years when you're looking at a big picture of 120 years worth of football.

Jones has improved the program--that's a fact. Let's support the program and hope the progress continues with him instead of acting like a bunch of children because this year didn't work out as we all hoped it would. Jones brings some very good qualities to the job. He's busted his tail and I appreciate his efforts. This idea that we are going to hire someone else who's going to magically do better is not aligned with reality. Teams lose games, and sometimes they lose games the fans think they shouldn't lose. It happens. We had a ton of injuries this year--a ton. That's a fact. Stop whining and support the program.

to be more clear about not being just a drop in the bucket, a 70.4% winning percentage would put us 8th all time. Dropping to 68% drops us to 13th. I consider that a big drop in just 10 years when you're looking at a big picture of 120 years worth of football.

I fudged the numbers a little, check my edited post for updated percentages. Yes you're right in terms of where it moves us in all-time W/L pct comparison by teams.

Jones has improved the program--that's a fact. Let's support the program and hope the progress continues with him instead of acting like a bunch of children because this year didn't work out as we all hoped it would. Jones brings some very good qualities to the job. He's busted his tail and I appreciate his efforts. This idea that we are going to hire someone else who's going to magically do better is not aligned with reality. Teams lose games, and sometimes they lose games the fans think they shouldn't lose. It happens. We had a ton of injuries this year--a ton. That's a fact. Stop whining and support the program.
meh.

Reactions: 2 people
I fudged the numbers a little, check my edited post for updated percentages. Yes you're right in terms of where it moves us in all-time W/L pct comparison by teams.

2.7 to 2.8 is a drop in the bucket imo. But 2.7 to 0 is significant when your sample is 120 years worth of games.

2.7 to 2.8 is a drop in the bucket imo. But 2.7 to 0 is significant when your sample is 120 years worth of games.

After doing the math I agree with you. I updated simply because the numbers I posted were incorrect and have since been corrected. :hi:

I can agree he's done some good things...and sometimes it's about more than the score.

My expectations and excitement at the beginning of this season were more due to the fight the team had in 'em last year than anything else - with one more year of coaching, S&C, etc....sprinkled with more talented youth and depth...whoa!! The most disturbing trend this year has been focus, effort, intensity and discipline on the field...from my perspective it hasn't matched the previous 2 (maybe 3) years!

I, for one, don't think he's an idiot or exceedingly bad coach. I have to believe they are coaching the players to do what must be done given the play called....you can see it on his face when they dork it up.

The USC and Vandy games were poor efforts on the field - by players. The other teams wanted it more...and it showed. That's coaching too....and is something that has to be rectified.

VN Store

Back