What Top Tier Coaches Would Come To Tennessee Right Now ?

VolnJC

Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Kelly or even Gruden?

We can win 9 games for the second year in a row (69% of games) vs 68% historical average

We play a top 5 schedule every year that includes teams like Alabama, Florida, USCe, and Georgia (teams that have more SEC instate recruits than us)

We have an irrational fanbase that would fire the Pope if he didn't cover the point spread out of pity vs Holy Cross for the Blind

Did I mention that we don't have an AD?

So do you guys really think we should be talking about firing a coach that will have as many wins this year as every other SEC team not named Alabama?

Reactions: 17 people
None. But don't let that stop the masses from thinking we can waltz into another program and snatch their coach away just like that.

Reactions: 17 people
you still think Kelly is a top tier coach?

yes, we should talk about firing a coach that's 2-2 against Vandy and continues to display some of the worst situational football decision making i've ever seen.

will we fire him this year? no. should we this year? no. administratively we're in no position to make a good decision for the long term. and administratively, the program is acheiving it's #1 goal....making money..

so fans can twist in the wind, and talk about firing a coach that's not going anywhere.

Reactions: 8 people
Yes. Fire him.

There are coaches who would win 8-9 or better. I'd risk it. We've got a mediocre coach. I'll take the chance I could find a better option. 5-6 million a year talks. Nut up and stop accepting mediocre.

JMO

Reactions: 4 people
you still think Kelly is a top tier coach?

yes, we should talk about firing a coach that's 2-2 against Vandy and continues to display some of the worst situational football decision making i've ever seen.

will we fire him this year? no. should we this year? no. administratively we're in no position to make a good decision for the long term. and administratively, the program is acheiving it's #1 goal....making money..

so fans can twist in the wind, and talk about firing a coach that's not going anywhere.

Chip Kelly, in college yes..Brian Kelly can pound sand

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. Fire him.

There are coaches who would win 8-9 or better. I'd risk it. We've got a mediocre coach. I'll take the chance I could find a better option. 5-6 million a year talks. Nut up and stop accepting mediocre.

JMO

5-6 million wasn't enough to get Herman to LSU..which is a better job than ours right now. All of the guys on that list already make more than that now.

Reactions: 2 people
5-6 million wasn't enough to get Herman to LSU..which is a better job than ours right now. All of the guys on that list already make more than that now.

Lots of coaches. Even the ones you listed started as question marks. A coach has to build up to elite status. Find the next elite guy. Don't be scared. Treading water gets you no where.

Lots of coaches. Even the ones you listed started as question marks. A coach has to build up to elite status. Find the next elite guy. Don't be scared. Treading water gets you no where.

The only one I see that I would take a chance on is Fleck..he is a egotistical SOB...but as long as he wins, I could forgive that part :)

Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Kelly or even Gruden?

We can win 9 games for the second year in a row (69% of games) vs 68% historical average

We play a top 5 schedule every year that includes teams like Alabama, Florida, USCe, and Georgia (teams that have more SEC instate recruits than us)

We have an irrational fanbase that would fire the Pope if he didn't cover the point spread out of pity vs Holy Cross for the Blind

Did I mention that we don't have an AD?

So do you guys really think we should be talking about firing a coach that will have as many wins this year as every other SEC team not named Alabama?

winning 9 games out of 13 isn't that remarkable. Winning 9 games out of 11 was.

1987 was the first year we ever played 13 games. Overall, we've played 14 seasons with 13 games, one of them being 14 games. Quit doing math on 9 win and 10 win season percentages when the number of games now is so drastically different than 25 years ago.

Reactions: 3 people
NONE. No coach wants to take over a job, that will require him to rent instead of buy because the fans will revolt against him after back to back 8 win seasons. Everyone wants better. No one wants to be mediocre, but we have to have patience.

I'm not looking at firing CBJ, but if it were to happen after next year, I'd like Stoops from OU, Patterson from TCU, Shaw from Stanford, but really would like Petersen from UW.

eh, not really. it's a great job. so is Tennessee. but they've got issues in Baton Rouge with their leadership as well. the biggest advantage they have is the in state recruiting.

it's not like this whole coaching deal for the last 2 years has them looking like the most competent bunch.

they set their sights on Jimbo Fisher, twice, didn't get him....turned their nose up at Herman when he asked for more money (which he got from TX, so why not ask LSU for the same?), only to hire a guy that was on the staff of the guy you fired...twice?

i know Coach O is popular, but does anyone really think he's the guy to take down Saban and Bama? and a lot depends on who he gets as OC. there's a lot of work to be done down there.

When we were looking for a "top tier" coach 4 years ago the talent was depleted. Now I think some coaches with better experience (than Butch) would at least listen - there is talent on the roster now. Of course this would assume we had an AD that would talk to them. Also, financially we would need some boosters to support large donations to cover some of the buyout of Jones. This fan base is starving, yes maybe we are somewhat irrational at times, but many of us remember when Tennessee was a top tier program.

winning 9 games out of 13 isn't that remarkable. Winning 9 games out of 11 was.

1987 was the first year we ever played 13 games. Overall, we've played 14 seasons with 13 games, one of them being 14 games. Quit doing math on 9 win and 10 win season percentages when the number of games now is so drastically different than 25 years ago.

I didn't, I said historically we win 68% of our games, just like we did last year and this year.

Tennessee is ranked 10th all-time won-lost records by percentage and eighth by victories.[15] page-68. The all-time record is 819-374-53 (.679

9/11= 82% that is not historically accurate we win 68% of our games

Hell you have to go back to 2003, when we haven't lost less than 4 in a season...thats 12 years!

Last edited:
When we were looking for a "top tier" coach 4 years ago the talent was depleted. Now I think some coaches with better experience (than Butch) would at least listen - there is talent on the roster now. Of course this would assume we had an AD that would talk to them. Also, financially we would need some boosters to support large donations to cover some of the buyout of Jones. This fan base is starving, yes maybe we are somewhat irrational at times, but many of us remember when Tennessee was a top tier program.

How much of that talent would ask for transfers when a new coach comes?

And how many recruits would decommit? Not as simple as you put it.

In reality most fans will support any new hire until it's proven they can't get it done. An up and comer needs the opportunity to see if he's elite or not. Butch had his shot and he's not that guy. I'd try to find that guy now vs waiting to do it next year. Don't waste a year.

I didn't, I said historically we win 68% of our games, just like we did last year and this year.

Tennessee is ranked 10th all-time won-lost records by percentage and eighth by victories.[15] page-68. The all-time record is 819-374-53 (.679

9/11= 82% that is not historically accurate we win 68% of our games

Hell you have to go back to 2003, when we haven't lost less than 4 in a season...thats 12 years!

even if that's your argument, at some point Butch has to get to the better than that stage. Beating our rivals regularly. Not having to rely on craziness to win. On average means we have better seasons than that and worse seasons than that. How far did 2005-2012 set us back percentage wise?

This program is in a significantly better position then it was when CBJ took over. There are only a handful of "top tier" coaches and they all have "top tier" jobs (i.e. Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Stoops) and they are not leaving those schools for UT or any other program. That's why UTjr. hired Herman and LSU kept Orgeron.

However, I think the next tier is attainable for UT, which would be a Les Miles, Dan Mullen, type. And most of this tier would be a significant upgrade from CBJ IMO.

P.S. Anyone who mentions Gruden as an HC option should be banned from the board for 30-days.

even if that's your argument, at some point Butch has to get to the better than that stage. Beating our rivals regularly. Not having to rely on craziness to win. On average means we have better seasons than that and worse seasons than that. How far did 2005-2012 set us back percentage wise?

Oh, I agree..team 120 has been the most frustrating team in recent history..and I don't think Butch is a good gameday coach at all.

We don't have to hire one of those 4-5 people named in OP's post to achieve an upgrade. It's not as if Butch is sitting there on the cusp of the Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches. There are plenty of better game day coaches/talent developers who can bring in as good or better recruiters than we currently have. Don't settle for second best because you're scared you can't do better.

As others have pointed out, this is all a waste of time to keep our anxious hands and minds busy. The Univ isn't making any changes so we may as well buckle up for the fun ride for the next 10-12 months.

If Butch starts next year 2-4 (which is a real possibility) then I think he'll be toast. Otherwise, we'll have to wait to see his entire body of work following season 5. Until then, we won't see any changes.

We don't have to hire one of those 4-5 people named in OP's post to achieve an upgrade. It's not as if Butch is sitting there on the cusp of the Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches. There are plenty of better game day coaches/talent developers who can bring in as good or better recruiters than we currently have. Don't settle for second best because you're scared you can't do better.

2nd tier to me=gamble...and some of those (like Pearl in bball) are great hires...I agree on Butch not being great at gameday coaching.

VN Store

Back