What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

As a young kid in junior high, the only time I have ever cried when a sports team of mine lost was when Ken Stabler through that wounded duck pass in the back of the end zone to Clarence Davis to beat my Miami Dolphins in the AFC playoffs in 1974. Final Score 28-27, IIRC.
football-afc-championship-oakland-raiders-clarence-davis-in-action-picture-id108324081

I watched that one and was incredibly pissed too... I think I was in first grade

I go back as a UT fan for almost 64 years.....If I had to pick one it would be 2001 SECCG hands down because what it meant. I told my buddies I was with after the game that we just witnessed the downfall of UT football for the foreseeable future.....Little did I know at the time it would last pert near 20 years.

I had a buddy who we'd coached football together several years come into my office the Wed before the SECCG.....He said.....me and wife got our tickets! I said tickets where? He said to the Rose Bowl NCG....plane tickets and hotel reservations. I said you do know we have to play LSU and Saban first and win the game don't you? Then I said....we coached along time and we both know it's hard to beat a good team twice in one season. His reply, we'll beat LSU by 3 TD's.

He might have been the only person on the planet sicker at losing that game than I was....I still bring it up to him until this day.

1) 2001 SEC Championship Game to LSU
2) 2010 basketball loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8
3) 2007 basketball loss to Ohio State in the Sweet 16 (after blowing a 17 point halftime lead)
4) 2019 basketball loss to Purdue in the Sweet 16
5) 2000 loss to Florida after leading the whole game
6) 2015 loss to Florida after leading the whole game
7) 2015 loss to Oklahoma after leading the whole game
8) 2006 loss to Florida
9) 2018 basketball loss to Loyola-Chicago in the 2nd round
10) *Tie 1990 losses to Alabama and Notre Dame

That is a lot of heartbreak. LOL.

1) 2001 SEC Championship Game to LSU
2) 2010 basketball loss to Michigan State in the Elite 8
3) 2007 basketball loss to Ohio State in the Sweet 16 (after blowing a 17 point halftime lead)
4) 2019 basketball loss to Purdue in the Sweet 16
5) 2000 loss to Florida after leading the whole game
6) 2015 loss to Florida after leading the whole game
7) 2015 loss to Oklahoma after leading the whole game
8) 2006 loss to Florida
9) 2018 basketball loss to Loyola-Chicago in the 2nd round
10) *Tie 1990 losses to Alabama and Notre Dame

That is a lot of heartbreak. LOL.
Solid list but way too much to take at one time Lol

Reactions: N.ohio vol and MAD
The 9-6 loss to AL in '90.

Just the way it went down. Ranked #3 and lining up for the go-ahead FG with under 2 mins to go. It was such a defensive struggle there was no chance AL was going to make it into FG range for the tie. Even if TN missed the kick it wouldn't be a loss but to have it blocked back into AL territory, close enough for them to kick the game-winner, then doing so with only seconds left.......

I think that game broke me as a fan.
1990 was a tuff year for a Vol fan. Johnnies best team IMO and still couldn't win it all

????

The NO CATCH.

Period.

The Jabar Gaffney incompletion at Neyland was the most disgusting moment in sports ever. I was there with my Dad, may he rest in peace, and that was 1 of the 2 times in my 42 years of life that I saw my Dad cry. We were flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Bamboozled. Defrauded. Disenfranchised and flat out robbed. We were jobbed in our own house...in the endzone right below my Dad and I.

Not only did he not catch the ball.....he didnt even slow it down. He didnt even intentionally redirect the ball. He didnt at any point...in any way...control the momentum, directional heading, or any other factor of the ball. Jabar Gaffney had no more control over what happened to that football ...than a brick wall has over a speeding bullet that slams into it. The ball hit him in his stomach...passed BETWEEN his open hands...and fell lifelessly to the ground. No sane person with working eyes could ever look at what occurred in the endzone of Neyland stadium that night and conclude that a man actually caught a football with his hands.

Yet the official threw both arms into the air and signalled a Floriduh touchdown. He must have been paid a fortune.

Our season was ruined. As was the case in those days when we always played them in the 3rd or 4th game of the year. Done. Greatest robbery to ever happen in Neyland
I am still so pissed right now my blood just boils. I hate those dammm gators so much to this day.

????

The NO CATCH.

Period.

The Jabar Gaffney incompletion at Neyland was the most disgusting moment in sports ever. I was there with my Dad, may he rest in peace, and that was 1 of the 2 times in my 42 years of life that I saw my Dad cry. We were flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Bamboozled. Defrauded. Disenfranchised and flat out robbed. We were jobbed in our own house...in the endzone right below my Dad and I.

Not only did he not catch the ball.....he didnt even slow it down. He didnt even intentionally redirect the ball. He didnt at any point...in any way...control the momentum, directional heading, or any other factor of the ball. Jabar Gaffney had no more control over what happened to that football ...than a brick wall has over a speeding bullet that slams into it. The ball hit him in his stomach...passed BETWEEN his open hands...and fell lifelessly to the ground. No sane person with working eyes could ever look at what occurred in the endzone of Neyland stadium that night and conclude that a man actually caught a football with his hands.

Yet the official threw both arms into the air and signalled a Floriduh touchdown. He must have been paid a fortune.

Our season was ruined. As was the case in those days when we always played them in the 3rd or 4th game of the year. Done. Greatest robbery to ever happen in Neyland
I am still so pissed right now my blood just boils. I hate those dammm gators so much to this day.

What makes it even worse the ref that called it a TD played football at Vandy....That was a double whammy. If there was replay back then that gets overturned 100 out of 100 times.

Yeh they would have and chances were pretty good that they'd have scored , but it was gut wrenching to be robbed of the chance to keep them out .

It was gut wrenching not getting the 1st down which would have ended the game. It was gut wrenching letting UF drive all the way down the field. The TD/Non-TD should've never been an issue.

Right before the blocked FG, 17 year old GAVol said to the guy next to him in Section QQ, “At least the worst that can happen is a tie.”
I had bought a new TN hat that week and was listening to the game at work. I was so pissed off i threw it in the trash and said it was cursed.

Reactions: MAD
This x100. Not sure how it can be anything else Tennessee football related, honestly.
I couldn’t agree more. I really don’t know how it could be anything other than this given all that was at stake and the fact it is has remained to be the benchmark of upsets in just about all conference championship games. All that coupled with the fact that we have been wandering in the wilderness for nearly 2 decades makes it without a doubt the low mark of my sports fandom.

Reactions: N.ohio vol and MAD
What makes it even worse the ref that called it a TD played football at Vandy....That was a double whammy. If there was replay back then that gets overturned 100 out of 100 times.
If you watch the sideline camera replay, the ref at the goal line pumped his arms a couple of times like he was sure it was a TD... when he was clearly screened by Gaffney’s body and couldn’t have had a clue whether the catch was made.

It’s insane how bad the call was. Usually when you slow down a possession type play, it makes it look more like a catch. This actually gets more ridiculous the more you slow it down.

This x100. Not sure how it can be anything else Tennessee football related, honestly.
At least that was a loss to a decent team that turned out to be a future national champion. I can at least rationalize that one.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back