What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

Heartbreaking? Hmmm........The 2016 last second loss, to Loyola Chicago, in the Sweet 16, hurt pretty bad.
The 30 pt loss to SW Missouri State, in 1999, just pissed me off. WTF?!

Reactions: MAD
01 seccg. Yeah....
96 Memphis. He was down
90 bama and ND. Only games I went to that season and they sucked
94 UCLA. Not sure I realized why at the time
2015 UF. Was so sure I was finally going to see a win in the swamp
2000 UF and 2001 UGA. Was living out west and used what little money I had to fly back to one game each season. I sure can pick them huh?
Alert Vol fans!!!!!

We have identified the problem. Utvolpj is never allowed to attend another game!

Maybe it’s in here somewhere but 3 pages in I don’t see 2005 Vandy. It certainly isn’t the worst but that cost us a trip to a bowl and was the first lost to Vandy in well over 20 years. Plus that was really where Fulmer’s seat heater was turned on. It wasn’t hot at that point but the stage was set for 2008. Again, not the worst but worth a mention.

One of the most sickening was the Dooley loss to KY. That was possibly the worst KY team I’ve seen. I’m sure someone has mentioned that one somewhere in this thread.

Reactions: N.ohio vol and MAD
South Carolina 2005. That’s when I knew it was the end of times..
That was in Halloween wasn’t it? I think I remember that one. We lost like 16-15 or some similar low score thanks to being out coached by Spurrier again. I think that was his first year at SC too but I could be mistaken. The game flat out sucked but I still had a great time as my buddy and I went to the Old City for my birthday celebration and he really wanted to see Mancow who was having some kind of party down there. I’m pretty sure that was the 2005 game.

It was gut wrenching not getting the 1st down which would have ended the game. It was gut wrenching letting UF drive all the way down the field. The TD/Non-TD should've never been an issue.
Don’t forget all the damn FGs we had to kick that game. That game never should’ve been close.

I couldn’t agree more. I really don’t know how it could be anything other than this given all that was at stake and the fact it is has remained to be the benchmark of upsets in just about all conference championship games. All that coupled with the fact that we have been wandering in the wilderness for nearly 2 decades makes it without a doubt the low mark of my sports fandom.
The only 2 I can think of that are in the vicinity would both be Big 12 games. A&M over Kansas St in 1998, ironically, and Texas over Nebraska in 1996.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and RDU VOL#14
93 FSU beats UF in the Swamp on a Charlie Ward to Warrick Dunn 70-something yard TD pass

95 slaughter to Nebraska in the national title game.

2001 Tennessee wins in the Swamp. Best Florida team to not win a title. Too bad playoffs weren’t around then, UF and UT were the two best teams in the nation, both absolutely stacked with talent.
I think you are forgetting Miami. UT and UF might have been 2 and 3 but Miami was the best team that year.

The only 2 I can think of that are in the vicinit would both be Big 12 games. A&M over Kansas St in 1998, ironically, and Texas over Nebraska in 1996.

That true. I think that 96 Texas win helped Florida get a rematch against FSU.

1976 VMI loss with Bernard King not playing. Bunch of 6-4 guards shot 66 percent or so with almost all shots beyond 15 feet. That was brutal, but 1977 loss to Syracuse was worse because we had national championship caliber team. I still haven't gotten over either of those losses.

Last edited:
can understand that but I've definitely seen more wins than losses though. Watched the goal posts come down twice
The last 10 years have been tough on my record. I’ve only been to 1 Florida win 2016, 1 Alabama win 2003(I’m the guy that got the Vol fans on there feet and getting loud during a timeout in OT. The players responded and we won the game. At lest that’s how I remember it.)never been to a win over Ga(several losses) LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, or A&M.

I’ve been to all SEC stadiums at least once. I’ve never seen a win in Gainesville(several trips), Fayetteville, Columbia, SC, Baton Rouge, College Station, Auburn, or Athens.

Went to the Ok losses. Went to the UCLA losses in 08 and 09. Went to the 2001 SECCG. I was at the Florida losses in 15 and 17. The Alabama losses in 19, 17, 15, 09 along with some in Neyland. My 1st Alabama loss was back in the day. 56-28.

I was at the Miracle.

Auburn's Harvey Glance losing to the Soviet Union's Valerie Borzov in the 1972 Olympics 100 meters hurt pretty bad. Still far removed from the Gaffney no catch for a TD though.

The Butch Jones years have some obvious ones, most I saw in person, but 2016 South Carolina. Saw that one in person, too. What a joke that game was. Had 5x the talent of that awful USCjr team with the East on the line and some of the players straight up quit. I will forever hate South Carolina because of that one.

1990 Alabama game and the 2001 SEC title game...Basketball wise the 1981 NCAA tournament game against Virginia with Ralph Sampson where we led by 10 late in the game and blew it...Got a boxers fracture punching a wall after that one.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and MAD
The Florida 4th and a billion in 2015 was soul crushing.
Didn't that happen to us twice under BJ? I've tried to delete those from my data base. Seems one we had DB's running into each other like a Key Stone Cop routine and then another one on the last second hail mary on the goal line.

They hit a buzzer beater 3 right before half that made difference in game.

Yeah, I remember David Lighty and some kind of and-1 being involved but I may be making that up. It was 49-32 at half but felt like they had the momentum

VN Store

Back