What record would make you worry?

I just bought a new mattress today, and my daughter took our old one (it was only a year old). Anything less than 8 wins, and I'm burning the old one, and she can sleep on the floor.

This season hinges on the defense. If we can get off the field on 3rd down we should have a pretty good year, possibly 10 wins. Realistically though, it could be another year or two before we have the necessary depth and talent to keep everyone fresh for four quarters.

I think if The Beatles regrouped and put out a new record, I'd be very worried. My meds would definitely need some adjustment.

7 -5 is worrisome, 6 - 6 is loathsome, and 5 - 7 means I look for my pitchfork in the shed.

Reactions: LittleVol
For this year, what record would make you worried for the future?

I’m expecting us to be 8-4 at worst, but for me, anything worse than that would have me worried. With this team, there’s no excuse for us to be worse than that.
Not going to worry regardless of the record. Hoping for the best.

The problem is this season is going to be very hard to predict.

-No one knows what LSU is going to look like this year. They are the biggest mystery in all of football.

-Florida has a new coach, but still a boat load of talent, and that new coach was the best G5 coach in the country as of last year

-South Carolina suddenly made a major upgrade at QB, and we have to go to them.

-Pitt was gutted, but is apparently still talented enough that as of right now we’re predicted to lose

-Kentucky will basically be the same team as last year, and that was an absolute dog fight.

So there are 5 games right there that are almost impossible to predict. If we lose just 2 of them, assuming we lose to Georgia/Bama as well, a 10-win season is already out the window.

I think if we can start out 4-0 before the bye, we should all be feeling really really good. Going 4-4 or 3-5 after that would hurt, but wouldn’t be the worst thing ever considering we got Florida off our back and started off that well.

We have to accept that 7-5 is very possible. As much as we like to believe it’s 100% about coaching and talent, we have to accept that some level of luck is involved as well.

So there’s a lot of games that could go either way even if we are slightly better (USC, Florida, Pitt).

Combine that with playing LSU, Bama, and Georgia and anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 seems possible
While I agree with this take, if we lost to South Carolina this year I’d be very disappointed. Beamer doesn’t have as much to work with. We’re by no means loaded but South Carolina does not have as much talent as us.

While I agree with this take, if we lost to South Carolina this year I’d be very disappointed. Beamer doesn’t have as much to work with. We’re by no means loaded but South Carolina does not have as much talent as us.
Last year we were 19th on the team talent composite, S. Carolina was 22nd. We won handily at home but our talent advantage was not huge. For comparison, LSU was 5th last year and Florida was 7th and few are writing those games off around here this year for lack of talent. Granted, these numbers will move some when the team talent composite is updated for 2022 in a few weeks but I doubt the movement is going to be drastic.

“You’re so vain” by Carly Simon playing on a loop in my now emptied out apartment with a nasty goodbye letter addressed to me on the fireplace mantle.

Reactions: dduncan4163
6-6 would worry me if Hooker stayed healthy through the season. I expect 8 to 9 wins out of these kids. I would like to say 10 but we still don't have the depth for that lofty goal. Injuries are going to happen especially to us. I'm cool with 6 or 7 if we're injuried. 5 or less I'm in full panic mode.

"Worry" is an interesting term.

It's one of those words that implies life is like an on-off switch. Either you're worried, or you aren't.

But we aren't made that way. We evaluate our circumstances constantly. We identify threats and problems long before they come into being. Feeling a bit of unease about those issues is the source of worry.

So in that sense, we are worried all the time. About practically everything. At least, everything we consider important. Those of us who are parents have been worrying about our kids since before they were born. Sometimes just very low grade, easy to ignore but still there in the background. We worry on and off about our jobs. About our romantic interests. About global warming (or people over-reacting to global warming). About Covid-19 (or people over-reacting to Covid-19). About politics. About our finances. About...well, you get the picture.

The only people who can avoid worry entirely are those with no imagination.

So, for Vols fans, people who care about the Tennessee football program, we're going to worry about our team. All the time. Maybe just in small, almost sub-conscious ways, but it will be there.

I remember in the championship season, worrying greatly toward the end of the Arkansas game. I worried during the Syracuse game. I worried before and during the Florida game. I worried when we played Mississippi State for the SEC crown. And I sure worried at various points when we were playing Florida State out in the desert.

And that was the most dominant Vols team of my lifetime, probably. Worried on and off all season long.

Not in a big way. Not in any debilitating way. Not like an Eeyore. But a bit of concern about how things would go, how we would respond to this challenge or that one.

Long way of saying, I'll probably feel a bit of worry no matter how we do this season. It's not a light switch. It will never turn entirely off.

But I'll worry a lot less if we go 8-4 or better. And probably not much at all if we can get to 9-3.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: vol94
This is plagiarism! @Lawrence Wright he's stealing your line!👀🤣

I did it as a TRIBUTE to @Lawrence Wright

if you can't keep up...take notes...

R.6e5aeba9942f1a8b6f76ac7af767ec6d

Reactions: joevol33
7-8 wins with this defense and not a lot of quality depth would be a good season. Below 7 wins would be disappointing. But, coach Heupel needs at least 5 yrs. That idiot Butch got 5, Heupel inherited a mess! I predict 8-4.

Reactions: 08Vol
Anything worse than 7-5. But even with that, a LOT would have to go wrong this season I think for us to finish that low.

The way I see it, there are 3 sure losses on our schedule (Georgia, LSU, and Alabama), 4 swing games on our schedule (Pitt, Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina), and 5 sure wins (Ball State, Akron, UT Martin, Vanderbilt, and Missouri). I think we need to take 3 of 4 of those swing games to truly feel like we've taken a step forward. 2 of 4 would be expected and less than that, things have gone terribly wrong.

It's not about the record for me, it's more about beating the teams they are supposed to beat and being competitive in the other games. Being relevant in SEC football again. I think they achieved a little of that last season and I want to see them build on it.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I always want the Vols to win, whatever sport it be in, but I figured out a long time ago that sporting events are not gonna cause me to worry. I'll watch them and cheer them on, but in the grand scheme of things, there are way more important matters to be concerned about. Just my take on it.

Losing to Florida. Can’t have another coach that can’t get over the gator hump

Reactions: 08Vol
Not covering the spread ... again ... against at least one (UF, UGA, or Bama) of our Big Three would give me cause for concern. I can see UK & LSU beating us if we come into either game less than healthy at key positions. I'm not going on "fahr Heupel" bandwagons no matter our record this year. Next year, he has a lot of must win games the 2023 season if he wants to be here year 5 IMO.

For this year, what record would make you worried for the future?

I’m expecting us to be 8-4 at worst, but for me, anything worse than that would have me worried. With this team, there’s no excuse for us to be worse than that.
A 7 win regular season

VN Store

Back