What record would make you worry?

UT_Tix79

For this year, what record would make you worried for the future?

I’m expecting us to be 8-4 at worst, but for me, anything worse than that would have me worried. With this team, there’s no excuse for us to be worse than that.

Reactions: vols 30

I’m expecting us to be 8-4 at worst, but for me, anything worse than that would have me worried. With this team, there’s no excuse for us to be worse than that.

As long as we stay healthy, I can't imagine not winning at least 8 games. I would be concerned with anything less.

We have to accept that 7-5 is very possible. As much as we like to believe it’s 100% about coaching and talent, we have to accept that some level of luck is involved as well.

So there’s a lot of games that could go either way even if we are slightly better (USC, Florida, Pitt).

Combine that with playing LSU, Bama, and Georgia and anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 seems possible

With what this program has been over the last 15 years, what's the point of worrying? We've lived thru the hell of Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt. The NCAA has been on us. I'd have to think we've already experienced rock bottom so my expectations are very low and I'm not sweating any game or record. Guess I'm the definition of apathy. Now if we wanna talk baseball...

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
We have to accept that 7-5 is very possible. As much as we like to believe it’s 100% about coaching and talent, we have to accept that some level of luck is involved as well.

So there’s a lot of games that could go either way even if we are slightly better (USC, Florida, Pitt).

Combine that with playing LSU, Bama, and Georgia and anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 seems possible
Ain’t this the truth?! Come on y’all, how many games have we won but lost in the last few years, much less the last 15-20, because of “luck” be it refs, bounce of the ball, faking injuries or whatever. Last time I remember the ball bouncing our way was against Ark in 98. First time I noticed it going down hill was the Jabar Gaffney “touch down” against Florida. Hopefully the curse has lifted.

Reactions: 08Vol and Vol8188
If this team broke the all time record for stealing their fans food, I might get worried. Short of that, it would be business as usual for the past two decades.
I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Who in the world wants to be worried about crap that they have no control over?? Go get a gender reassignment and worry about what panties to wear on Tuesday. I know you ain’t wearing them on Saturday night!

Reactions: 08Vol and HEAD-VOL
6-6 would be some cause for concern (though the injury situation would inform that - what if we lose Hooker or Tillman to injury . . . Or both?)

It is almost certain we lose to Bama and UGA.

Florida is still very talented and . . . Well . . . We lose to them in spectacular fashion almost all years.

That’s 3 losses.

LSU, PITT, and a road game at South Carolina (where they usually play the Vols tough) are all winnable / potential loss games.

So I think 5-7 is cause for concern.
I think the Vols likely end up at 7-5 (isn’t Vegas line . . . In general over / under 7 wins?).

As always, it really depends on the details. We’ll probably be underdogs when we go up to Pitt and down to LSU as well as being big underdogs against Bama and Georgia. Say we play well in those games, dont get blown out, but lose all 4. We get Kentucky at home but must go to what I believe will be a much improved South Carolina team. Both those games are winnable but winnable for either team. So we could go 6-6 or 7-5, not really have any bad games but just come up short. Or if the ball bounces right 8-4 or 9-3. If we play near perfect ball we could be 10-2 but that is almost wishful thinking.

We can focus on how our O is going to roll but in the end if we can’t convert on third or fourth and short, we’re gonna lose some close games. Blame the OL, the RBs or the play calling but we got stuffed against Pitt, Ole Miss and Purdue on critical short yardage plays. And not to let the D off the hook - we couldn’t get teams off the field on third and long. Ole Miss was just a nightmare. And giving up huge plays against Pitt and Purdue and Ole Miss just drove me crazy. I’d like to see us NOT have those recurring problems on both sides of the ball. That will be moving forward regardless of the record.

You need help. Football is fickle. If 16 starters go down you’re gonna worry if this team goes 6/6? Relax.

I don't go by records.

I look at the whole body of work, and check the progress in each meaningful statistical category from the previous season.

So if we go 5-7 or 8-4 there wouldn't be a great deal of worry depending on the progress in each of those fields.

Before the addition of Dixon, I had us at a strong 7-5 (8-5 with a bowl)
Now i have us at 8-4 (9-4 with a bowl)
- 8-4 being in every single game into the 4th.

VN Store

Back