What kind of snake is this?

Internet says they're highest elevation is 2100 ft of elevation, which isnt true. I have a pic on my blackberry, of a 5ft snake @ 4000 ft. May mean lowest elevation. Ive lived here 40 years and never seen one at lower elevations. However, the Mountains are jammed packed.
I had someone tell me venomous snakes have a limit of 4000 feet in elevation(too cold). Hope that is true but not sure.

I had someone tell me venomous snakes have a limit of 4000 feet in elevation(too cold). Hope that is true but not sure.
Nope, there may be less, but they're still there. Species like timber rattlesnake like higher elevations in general. Of course Temps also are dependent on latitude. 4k ft in GA isn't the same average temp as 4k in Vermont.

you see copperheads during football season, late in the year, after it's been hot, and then a good rain. That's when they move around. giving birth before the cold sets in.

Nope, there may be less, but they're still there. Species like timber rattlesnake like higher elevations in general. Of course Temps also are dependent on latitude. 4k ft in GA isn't the same average temp as 4k in Vermont.
Maybe the guy was talking about SW Virginia. I’ll have to do more digging.

I caught a ring necked snake last week that was the biggest I'd ever seen, well over a foot. Just happened to look down as he was poking his head out of a shrub.

Weird this thread got bumped today, i saw a snake crossing the road this morning on my way to work. It was about a foot into the road, i wanted to swerve and run over it but I'm a nice guy so i didn't.

I was also scared it'd come back and haunt me.

VN Store

Back