What kind of snake is this?

I may have almost stepped on a copperhead while catching frogs the other night. The next footfall would have landed right on him.

It was wet and dark so my slithering friend could have been a Northern Water Snake but I don't think so. I have seen tons of those in my life and always get a kick out of people running from the river screaming copperhead when one cruises by.

I could not see the head very well or even make out the pattern but this was one thick snake and appeared to have a kind of triangular cross section to the body.

Anyway, he didn't like my company any more than I liked his and he quickly disappeared into the rocks.

One of the scariest moments of my life - walking alone in woods near our farm, heard a rattlesnake (eastern diamondbacks all over upper east Tennessee and sw Virginia), knew I was on top of it, but could not see it - didn't know whether to go forward or backward. Fortunately didn't get bit. Never went back to that spot.

Reactions: walkenvol and sona
One of the scariest moments of my life - walking alone in woods near our farm, heard a rattlesnake (eastern diamondbacks all over upper east Tennessee and sw Virginia), knew I was on top of it, but could not see it - didn't know whether to go forward or backward. Fortunately didn't get bit. Never went back to that spot.

I'd have gone straight damn up and hoped he went forward or backward.

Walked past one coiled and sitting 3’ off the trail. Dog was with us and in the lead. Snake never made a sound nor moved. Son saw it first and he levitated 3’ minimum. Those are the type of snakes that make you run into trees as Richard Pryor would say!230062FB-46E4-42D5-AE9E-5DE4BB617D37.jpeg

Last edited:

There are no eastern diamondbacks in Tennessee. Anywhere!

Reactions: InVOLuntary
My wife, son, and I all have snakes we keep as pets. Three boas in the house. It's really helped us be much more comfortable with them in the wild. They are extremely predictable creatures, so once you learn how to read them and the circumstances you'll be much better off around them.

Reactions: MAD
My wife, son, and I all have snakes we keep as pets. Three boas in the house. It's really helped us be much more comfortable with them in the wild. They are extremely predictable creatures, so once you learn how to read them and the circumstances you'll be much better off around them.
Hard pass - I’ll stick with dogs!

I did. Kinda looked like a copperhead to me. Lol.

01-copperheads-nationalgeographic_1173364.jpg
Eyes & body. Not always true but Vipers ive seen outside are dark, almost black. Small heads, cat like eyes, and fat bodies.

That'd be a Timber Rattler in TN. Eastern's are further South, I believe. Same for Cottonmouth.

My son stepped on what he thought was a piece of rope in our backyard. The rope slithered away. From what I can gather it was a garter snake. My fatherly advice was no step on snek.
We have them also. If there are snakes there's mice. So...Tom eats Jerry. I'm good with that. If we could we'd high five them and be on our way.

Reactions: VolNExile
That'd be a Timber Rattler in TN. Eastern's are further South, I believe. Same for Cottonmouth.
Pardon. Timber. And they are all over east Tennessee and SW Va.
Internet says they're highest elevation is 2100 ft of elevation, which isnt true. I have a pic on my blackberry, of a 5ft snake @ 4000 ft. May mean lowest elevation. Ive lived here 40 years and never seen one at lower elevations. However, the Mountains are jammed packed.

Internet says they're highest elevation is 2100 ft of elevation, which isnt true. I have a pic on my blackberry, of a 5ft snake @ 4000 ft. May mean lowest elevation. Ive lived here 40 years and never seen one at lower elevations. However, the Mountains are jammed packed.
The guy that built my parents house showed up one morning with a bucket in the back of his truck. He told me to go take a look. I put my head over the side and the canebrake in the bucket struck the chicken wire he'd put over the top. I was maybe 9 and about pissed my pants, he thought it was hilarious. His next comment was there's a lot of woods behind your house, it'd be a good place to turn it loose. My dad said I have three small kids and a dog wtf is wrong with you. He eventually wound up in jail, I'm sure it was all unrelated behavior.

The guy that built my parents house showed up one morning with a bucket in the back of his truck. He told me to go take a look. I put my head over the side and the canebrake in the bucket struck the chicken wire he'd put over the top. I was maybe 9 and about pissed my pants, he thought it was hilarious. His next comment was there's a lot of woods behind your house, it'd be a good place to turn it loose. My dad said I have three small kids and a dog wtf is wrong with you. He eventually wound up in jail, I'm sure it was all unrelated behavior.

Reactions: barrylee
I would add I've only seen one rattlesnake in the wild my entire life and it was when we lived near the Holston so it was nowhere near 2100'. The dummy that brought one to our house had a farm on a wooded ridge but it wasn't that high either.

Here's a video my kid watched where these guys flip old pieces of tin in the SC lowcountry looking for snakes. They find tons of timbers and you know the elevation is about zero.

Back in the 60s and early 70s, there was a place in Pidgeon Forge with a huge snake pit where they would "milk" the snakes. CRAZY! LOL

I didn't think we had eastern diamondbacks in East Tennessee. I thought they were all timber rattlers.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back