What kind of snake is this?

Definitely copperhead
This guy is darker in color than the other copperheads I’ve run across. Last fall I encountered copperhead and it was the most vibrant color snake I’ve ever seen in East TN. This guy’s head was wide enough to have some poison pouches

This guy is darker in color than the other copperheads I’ve run across. Last fall I encountered copperhead and it was the most vibrant color snake I’ve ever seen in East TN. This guy’s head was wide enough to have some poison pouches
Where in East Tn did you find it?

This one definitely is darker than most, but it's a copperhead, very dark though.

Freak, I don't know, I admit as well that I don't care. To me, a snake is a snake until it is in my yard. At which point, it's dead. I hate the darn things, though I know they help control the rodent population. In my lifetime, I've had both venomous and nonvenomous snake come right up to where I was sitting or standing. To this day, I have no idea why haven't been bitten. But whether with a heavy stick or a gun, I've even run over one with the lawn mower; they are eliminated.

I had someone tell me venomous snakes have a limit of 4000 feet in elevation(too cold). Hope that is true but not sure.

I don't buy that. I was backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas in California back in the mid-1970s. I sat on a rock outcrop to rest. Found my hand too close for comfort with a coral snake. They're not even supposed to live that far west, or so I've been told. It was not only there, just 1/2 mile beyond where I was, there was a mountain pass with a small glacier. So while I can't say how high I was, I can tell you it was a bit chilly at the time. If I recall right, this was along the John Muir Trail. I must be mistaken, right? NOPE!! Red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black, you're OK, Jack. I jerked away, carefully got my backpack by a convenient strap, and high tailed it away. The thing never moved, oddly enough. And backpacking at Hamilton Lake in Yosemite, a rattlesnake crossed the narrow trail right in front of me. It was in a hurry, or so it seemed. Had I completed my step, I'm sure the consequences would have been dire. So I don't buy this thing about snakes not being around at 4K feet.

I don't buy that. I was backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas in California back in the mid-1970s. I sat on a rock outcrop to rest. Found my hand too close for comfort with a coral snake. They're not even supposed to live that far west, or so I've been told. It was not only there, just 1/2 mile beyond where I was, there was a mountain pass with a small glacier. So while I can't say how high I was, I can tell you it was a bit chilly at the time. If I recall right, this was along the John Muir Trail. I must be mistaken, right? NOPE!! Red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black, you're OK, Jack. I jerked away, carefully got my backpack by a convenient strap, and high tailed it away. The thing never moved, oddly enough. And backpacking at Hamilton Lake in Yosemite, a rattlesnake crossed the narrow trail right in front of me. It was in a hurry, or so it seemed. Had I completed my step, I'm sure the consequences would have been dire. So I don't buy this thing about snakes not being around at 4K feet.
IDK- It depends on North/South location. I would have to do some research on it. It’s what someone in my hiking group told me. I’m sure they read or were told by someone in the know about it.

I’m almost certain what you saw was not a Coral Snake even though you know the criteria. Most people make lousy witnesses to an event so you were probably mistaken on the sequence of the color bands.

Copperhead. They come in dark sometimes.
View attachment 495726
I stepped across one like that fishing back in Kentucky one day. Luckily, it had gotten cold overnight, and he was barely moving. That said, had a rattlesnake strike at me fishing here in Georgia back in this year. Never gave a warning, struck as soon as I got close. Thankfully, my ninja reflexes kicked in when I noticed something move on the ground, and it barely missed me. 🤣

Wow. Someone posted this one a couple of days ago from near Chattanooga (Snoopers Rock Trail - Prentice Cooper State Forest)

Went hiking the Ocoee years ago and came upon lots of timber rattlers sunning on the rocks by the river. Scaredest I've been my whole life.

Reactions: give_him 6
I let snakes live.
Me too brother. They are fascinating creatures.
You two should go on a trip with me to Kentucky. I can take you to a church where they're a big part of the service 👀🤣. In all seriousness, I like snakes, I've rarely killed one, and once was an accident.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
I stepped across one like that fishing back in Kentucky one day. Luckily, it had gotten cold overnight, and he was barely moving. That said, had a rattlesnake strike at me fishing here in Georgia back in this year. Never gave a warning, struck as soon as I got close. Thankfully, my ninja reflexes kicked in when I noticed something move on the ground, and it barely missed me. 🤣
Never happened on a rattler in the wild thankfully.

Reactions: joevol33
Never happened on a rattler in the wild thankfully.
They were very common where I'm from in Kentucky, but I've only seen probably 3 in Georgia. I've seen more rattlesnake vacationing in Florida!

VN Store

Back