What irritates you the most at restaurants?

I tip 25% baseline and it scales up from there based on how outstanding my bartender is or how drunk I manage to get.

I respect hard work and realize anything less than 5% results in actually *costing the server* money. I've never once stiffed, even in the face of some of the absolute worst service a patient patron can receive.

Kewl story bro...

Back when me and my brother were younger, my brother asked me to go out to eat with him and our dad so I could "help" him ask for some money. My brother was 19 or 20 and we're 5 years apart, he's younger.

Anyway he and I both were in the restaurant business at the time.

We had the conversation about the money and my brother was told to go by my dads office the next day for a check.

As we were leaving my brother threw a five down on the table. Lol, I know you guys can't appreciate it the way I do.

My dad said ...what's that for? My brother said " you didn't leave enough"

Dad said "I left 15%"

My brother said "I wanted to leave a little extra"

Dad said "if you didn't tip extra you might not need to borrow any money from me."

I'll never forget that.

20% sounds good, right?
Don't forget the 20%ers of a $25 bill and stayed for 3.5 hours. They think they tipped well, but don't realize they actually just robbed their server of making more.

On average, guest time at a table is 45 minutes. The server "flips" tables all shift, & each rotation is treated the same as all for the same reason anyone who has a job. $$$.

Lets imagine a server on a night that has a 2top in their section & unfortunately gets these "3.5 hour" guests that leave $6 on a $30 tab. That server could have flipped that table 4 more times in that frame, & for simplicity lets assume they all left $6 on a $25 tab. The campers cost their server $24.

Maybe not to some, but that 24 bucks means a lot to these kids...

20% sounds good, right?
Don't forget the 20%ers of a $25 bill and stayed for 3.5 hours. They think they tipped well, but don't realize they actually just robbed their server of making more.

On average, guest time at a table is 45 minutes. The server "flips" tables all shift, & each rotation is treated the same as all for the same reason anyone who has a job. $$$.

Lets imagine a server on a night that has a 2top in their section & unfortunately gets these "3.5 hour" guests that leave $6 on a $30 tab. That server could have flipped that table 4 more times in that frame, & for simplicity lets assume they all left $6 on a $25 tab. The campers cost their server $24.

Maybe not to some, but that 24 bucks means a lot to these kids...

Thank you for pointing this out. If you’re going to sit around all night, make it worth your server’s while.

Last edited:
@Behr , I have a buddy that has a drive through place down there in Cape Coral that he never opened. He is looking for an experienced operator to design a concept and get the place going. He will foot the cost of the start-up.
If you know anyone that wants a shot at running their own place, let me know and I can put them together. It is on Del Prado S in CC.

Reactions: Behr
OK...what's the census on tipping at places like Fuzzy Taco or some of the other fast casual places where you:

Walk in and order.
They hand you a buzzer.
Walk to & wait at the bar for your drinks.
Pick out a table.
Go get your food when the buzzer goes off.
Take your trays/plates to clean-up area on the way out.

OK...what's the census on tipping at places like Fuzzy Taco or some of the other fast casual places where you:

Walk in and order.
They hand you a buzzer.
Walk to & wait at the bar for your drinks.
Pick out a table.
Go get your food when the buzzer goes off.
Take your trays/plates to clean-up area on the way out.

You don't tip. Nobody waited on you or served you in any fashion. It's just like any other fast food restaurant. Maybe tip the bartender if the drink is good.

VN Store

Back