What irritates you the most at restaurants?

I had a really long post that better explained it, but it was definitely Tl;Dr.

You can make good money, there are just so many ways to lose it and its really hard to control it. And, with so many options for people to choose from, you can't afford to let them leave unhappy or questioning anything about their experience at your restaurant.

I understand there are many variables that go into being successful in the food business.

I live in Rogersville TN and if anyone on here knows its dang near impossible to have a successful food business in this small town.

Small population and lack of things to do led people to venture out to kingsport or Johnson city to spend their money which led to zero good places to eat. I have watched several restaurants of different food types come and go over the years.

A couple years ago a Mexican restaurant came in and became very successful. Then they put in another restaurant of the same name across town and made it successful.

Which led me to the conclusion that they had food that was repeatedly good, at a good cost, with good portions, and the service was consistent.

People here just wanted consistency. It's amazing to me how bad some of the restaurants that opened in this town were at consistency. The service was usually crap and the food was so hit and miss.

That seems more reasonable than firing someone.

I don't fire on Sunday, they just get a talk. Hard enough as it is to find someone to work on Sunday. I don't know why there were 2 bartenders behind the bar on a Sunday afternoon anyway, unless it was shift change.

I went to the Carmel Kitchen & Wine Bar in Tampa two weeks ago.
Saw a couple eating Ahi Tuna Tartare and asked how they liked it. They both said that it was just okay and that they would not order it again. I got the Black Bean Hummus instead.

Sorry.. just me I guess. But I would never take the word of a total stranger about something like that. I would just have to try it myself and make my own judgement about it.

Some people don't lie spicy food. Some aren't used to southern food. People's tastes vary too much for anyone to make a clear decision about whether to order something or not just based off of a stranger's comment.

And as far as my opinion about something, I would say something is "OK" on just about 90% of the stuff I've had. Very rarely do I get something that is worthy of me saying "awful" or "don't do it". So asking my opinion will probably not get you anywhere.

How is that obvious? I've ordered things that weren't great but I still finish.

I guess I can't understand how people can make a decision about what to eat based on someone else's opinion. Food is one of those things you just have to try for yourself to know whether you like it or not, in my opinion.

Actually, they would almost be better to ask me "can I get a bite or sample of that?"

I guess I can't understand how people can make a decision about what to eat based on someone else's opinion. Food is one of those things you just have to try for yourself to know whether you like it or not, in my opinion.

Actually, they would almost be better to ask me "can I get a bite or sample of that?"
We do that at work, and it's great cause some of my Mexican buddies bring homemade Mexican food.

It didn’t bother me but you folks in the service industry tell me if this is bad form. While sitting at the bar Sunday both bartenders where talking about why the even work doubles anymore as yesterday they only made 10 bucks on the early shift. It was easily heard in clear earshot of all the bar patrons sitting at the bar. Didn’t change my tip as the service was good and the food was excellent. Just wondered as a bar manager or bar tender what your thoughts are on this

This is a topic I address more than I should with some staff members.

When you're behind the bar, you're in a "fish bowl". You're always being watched & every spoken word is heard... By someone...

There is not an invisible wall that hides you. Same with wait-stations. Some servers like to believe as soon as they step into the area its a free for all.

In the simplest terms, its about situational awareness. Know your audience & surroundings. Sure, you may know Joe sitting there & comfortable cutting loose, but what about the nice couple a few seats away?

I despise shop talk at the bar. I absolutely understand you've gotta vent, but choose the right time.

This is a topic I address more than I should with some staff members.

When you're behind the bar, you're in a "fish bowl". You're always being watched & every spoken word is heard... By someone...

There is not an invisible wall that hides you. Same with wait-stations. Some servers like to believe as soon as they step into the area its a free for all.

In the simplest terms, its about situational awareness. Know your audience & surroundings. Sure, you may know Joe sitting there & comfortable cutting loose, but what about the nice couple a few seats away?

I despise shop talk at the bar. I absolutely understand you've gotta vent, but choose the right time.

Or just do it at an inaudible volume between you and your wingman.

In Knoxville, it is tough to keep a restaurant successful because there are so. many. restaurants. You not only have to be consistently good and worth the price you're charging, but you have to fight to keep yourself relevant as new places come into the already incredibly saturated market.

Reactions: 3 people
Or just do it at an inaudible volume between you and your wingman.

Nope. Then it looks like we are just bs'ing instead of working. "Fish Bowl", eyes are always on you. Perception is everything. Whether the teammates are communicating about legit business or not, the guest only sees horseplay. There are correct ways for both situations to be done.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't fire on Sunday, they just get a talk. Hard enough as it is to find someone to work on Sunday. I don't know why there were 2 bartenders behind the bar on a Sunday afternoon anyway, unless it was shift change.

Good point, normally the place is packed for brunch on Sunday but maybe the church crowd hadn’t made it yet. It was right around 1145 and they open at 11

Good point, normally the place is packed for brunch on Sunday but maybe the church crowd hadn’t made it yet. It was right around 1145 and they open at 11

I was mostly joking. I thought Ras was trolling me so I was playing along.

It is hard to staff for Sunday and although brunch can be busy for some places, in general the bar isn't.

That seems more reasonable than firing someone.

I'll be honest this time.

Restaurants have a lot of good hard working people. They also have a lot of people that really don't give a chit, for whatever reason. One reason is just like customers, they can walk right out the front door if one and walk right in the front door of another one in a matter of minutes.

Restaurants are always in need of experienced help, most won't even call for a reference.

I don't fire just to fire, but there are some things I will not tolerate from someone that can negatively affect my lively hood as easily as they can.

I'll be honest this time.

Restaurants have a lot of good hard working people. They also have a lot of people that really don't give a chit, for whatever reason. One reason is just like customers, they can walk right out the front door if one and walk right in the front door of another one in a matter of minutes.

Restaurants are always in need of experienced help, most won't even call for a reference.

I don't fire just to fire, but there are some things I will not tolerate from someone that can negatively affect my lively hood as easily as they can.

Fired a host a few days ago for taking a wallet left by a guest. For how awful she was at her job, I'd have fired her for a lot less. Luckily she tossed the wallet in our bushes after she took a card (he had already paused all spending on his cards til he found it). Landscapers called the guest and let him know they found it a few days later.

Fired a host a few days ago for taking a wallet left by a guest. For how awful she was at her job, I'd have fired her for a lot less. Luckily she tossed the wallet in our bushes after she took a card (he had already paused all spending on his cards til he found it). Landscapers called the guest and let him know they found it a few days later.

What a *****

No doubt, they fugged up. Should have to told the server in the beginning suck it up, sometimes life sucks.

I noticed they left a lot out of the article, but I'd be willing to bet the tip was left in cash.

I was mostly joking. I thought Ras was trolling me so I was playing along.

It is hard to staff for Sunday and although brunch can be busy for some places, in general the bar isn't.

Staffing Sunday is a pain for sure. The only solution I have seen work is to over staff your restaurants. Always be hiring. Operate under the mindset that you are never staffed enough. Be the most flexible restaurant in town with regard to employees availability. Once you do this you tend to find the weekend warriors who you are their second job. Slow process for sure.

As far at the bartenders discussing the money they are, or aren’t making, i view it as poor service. I wouldn’t direct my teams to terminate them. Just a counseling session about what is and what is not appropriate to discuss in front of the guests. They should also take the opportunity to listen to the employees feedback with regard to number of bartenders scheduled on sunday’s.

Staffing Sunday is a pain for sure. The only solution I have seen work is to over staff your restaurants. Always be hiring. Operate under the mindset that you are never staffed enough. Be the most flexible restaurant in town with regard to employees availability. Once you do this you tend to find the weekend warriors who you are their second job. Slow process for sure.

As far at the bartenders discussing the money they are, or aren’t making, i view it as poor service. I wouldn’t direct my teams to terminate them. Just a counseling session about what is and what is not appropriate to discuss in front of the guests. They should also take the opportunity to listen to the employees feedback with regard to number of bartenders scheduled on sunday’s.

Over staffing was never an option to me. Sundays and holidays were always covered in an interview, they were required. That solved most of the problem, then it was just deal with it, its part of the job.

I stopped listening to server and bartenders input on staffing a long time ago.

You "sound" as though you are with a multi unit operation, maybe an area supervisor?

Double post.

Over staffing was never an option to me. Sundays and holidays were always covered in an interview, they were required. That solved most of the problem, then it was just deal with it, its part of the job.

I stopped listening to server and bartenders input on staffing a long time ago.

You "sound" as though you are with a multi unit operation, maybe an area supervisor?

Director of Operations but was a GM for the company for five years before they promoted me.

Reactions: 1 person
Director of Operations but was a GM for the company for five years before they promoted me.

Haha, I was gonna say director of operations but I wasn't sure if that term was still used.

Good deal. I won't ask which company but what state?

Haha, I was gonna say director of operations but I wasn't sure if that term was still used.

Good deal. I won't ask which company but what state?

He's my neighbor! Won't give me a job though cause i bite customers.

VN Store

Back