What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

You know why. I mean, you don’t know WHY they buy it, but unfortunately in today’s society, an expensive vehicle is a status symbol. I always used to laugh at the expensive cars we used to see in our apartment complex in Maryville. Somehow they can afford a $50k Jeep but not a mortgage.
People see you in your vehicle, not where you live. Definitely a "status" thing for some.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Seems like a hybrid would be more expensive to maintain than if they put a basic 4 cylinder or V-6 in there.
You can get a hybrid or a 4 cylinder model. You have to have the 4 banger if you want AWD or the bigger tow package though.

People see you in your vehicle, not where you live. Definitely a "status" thing for some.
My dad was an attorney. He tells this story about visiting one of his law partners at home. The guy was driving an Aston Martin but lived in an apartment. My dad asked why he would drive that car but rent an apartment. His response was "well Jesse, you can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house."

My dad was an attorney. He tells this story about visiting one of his law partners at home. The guy was driving an Aston Martin but lived in an apartment. My dad asked why he would drive that car but rent an apartment. His response was "well Jesse, you can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house."
Fair point.

Unless it’s a trailer

Reactions: volfanhill
Way back in the early 70's there was an economic term, "welfare Cadillac". It referred to people that 0ften live in public housing, but drive a Cadillac. It is racist, nonetheless, one that people understood. That was a real status symbol then.
I know people that make $500k/yr, but have never owned a new car. We haven't owned a new car in 22 years, but will likely buy one this week. OTOH used cars are more expensive than new right now. At least in what we are looking for.
I heard that growing up in the 50s, 60s. It was taught in college level econ.

Last edited:
Reactions: GroverCleveland
I dont like it either but he is a Toyota loyalist. The grill is fugly.
And the v8 is gone. At the moment the new F150 and 250 are the best looking with the Ram a strong competitor. The 1500 GMC is nicer than the Chevy IMO, but the GM2500 series has a way too big front nose.

VN Store

Back