What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

2023 Chevy El Camino Concept, Price, Release Date

2023-Chevy-El-Camino-Exterior.png
The Traverse hasn’t had a 4 cylinder engine since at least 2020.

Looks near identical to the Holden Ute that GM sold in Australia till 2017.

The Pontiac G8 was a design and performance flip from Holden as well. I believe the later Impala/SS did as well, to replace the G8.

I'd love to see the manufactures offer 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with 5 and 6 speed manuals, manual door and windows, no frills whatsoever other than a/c.

America's dependence on automatics pretty much killed the new car manual. I had a 68 camaro and 76 f100/150 that both had 3 on the tree, a 3 speed stang, and a 5 speed accord. Early 90's I wouldn't have touched an accord without the stick. I'm with you on the trucks though. sometimes all someone wants and needs is a truck so base you have to add a/c and FM. And I'd love to see the Straight 6 option come back in the F250. That was a heck of an engine for a mid-towing capacity option. Brother had one for his tile business. F250, vinyl seating, extra cab, am/fm, and straight 6 automatic. Truck never failed.

Reactions: Wireless1 and hog88
Looks near identical to the Holden Ute that GM sold in Australia till 2017.
It does, and who can blame, them really. Of all the imaginary El Caminos, that is by far the best looking.

These are just drivel articles and the images are just something somebody made up. The one posted above is 2 years old at least. They're everywhere ( I mean, the drivel is).

GM could certainly make an El-C, even if Holden no longer exists. The Hyundai santa cruz is already on the market and it's styled like an El Camino would be today. But this particular article, no. Just made up and trying to sell some ads.

I got curious and looked at the Wikipedia page on coupe-utility pickups. Still made today are the Fiat Strada, also badged as Ram 700, VW Saveiro, Dacia Loga, also badged as Nissan NP200.

I'm not the el camino "type" but I can sure appreciate them. If I could have any ute, I'd want a Datsun B110 ute. They're left hand drive in Taiwan. 73 cubic inches of gnat-like fury. They were so popular that they made them from 1971 to maybe 1990.

Maybe so but not having A/C sucks.
Agreed, just saying p/w & p/l have been around 50 years and are fairly trouble free. Car manufacturers are always trying to one up the competition with more options which create more potential failures for options that don’t really enhance the transportation much.

VN Store

Back