What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

I drive a 1st gen 96 Dakota with less than 210K. That's around 8K per year average. It's in excellent condition. Paid $2400 for it 3 years ago. AS much as I'd like a newer F250 6.2 or 7.3 gasser, not gonna happen. I did spend my money on a 2017 Pilot for my wife last year with low mileage and under 28 G's at the time. That was a good spend.

I hear they are having a lot of problems with the new 7.3 gasser.

what gets me, and is an economic anomaly I don't understand, is the HD Diesel trucks these young kids drive that are tricked out and need an elevator to get in. Can neither be used as a truck, as you can't reach the bed, nor for towing. Where does the money come from. To even get the truck affordable to begin with would be offset by the $$ they likely had to sink in the diesel engine itself. Most newer powerstroke owners ditch them not too long before the known failures are coming. I'm sure Cummins has similar fates if they haven't already been corrected.

I see these same kids in those trucks at the boat ramp pulling a $150k+ wake boat and just think to myself "must be some good drug dealers"......

They always have a bevy of hot chicks with them though.

Reactions: GVF
I see these same kids in those trucks at the boat ramp pulling a $150k+ wake boat and just think to myself "must be some good drug dealers"......

Or it’s a rental.

But probably drugs.

Yes. Same reason would not by a GM 2500 HD right now. A nose that big should only be on a semi. And the Tundra should look like a truck. Seems like the Toyota designer of late may be the same guy that put the Raider front end on a Dakota. They are borderline on ruining the front end of the Tacoma. Not fond of it, but could deal with it.
I guess I'm different. If it came down to performance/utility and appearance (when dealing with a truck purchase), I would lean towards performance. I could change out the grill or just live with it.

Reactions: tbh
I hear they are having a lot of problems with the new 7.3 gasser.
What are they? The only thing I've seen so far is a few blown engines they are saying are isolated incidents.

The only thing I've found on the 6.2 is they will start leaking oil around 100K if you did any heavy hauling with them and you didn't keep up the oil changes. And the water pump.

I guess I'm different. If it came down to performance/utility and appearance (when dealing with a truck purchase), I would lean towards performance. I could change out the grill or just live with it.

Changing out the grill on the new Tundra won't help. It has a lower bumper area that seems to have pulled cues from Lexus, only it doesn't show well on a full size truck. And no V8 option anymore. All turbo 6.

What are they? The only thing I've seen so far is a few blown engines they are saying are isolated incidents.

The only thing I've found on the 6.2 is they will start leaking oil around 100K if you did any heavy hauling with them and you didn't keep up the oil changes. And the water pump.

I've heard about the blown engines, lifter problems and wiring harness problems. They'll figure them out in a year or so and the beast will be a great engine. I never had anything with the 6.2 but man I loved the V-10, it would pass anything on the hwy except a gas station.

Reactions: tntar heel
what gets me, and is an economic anomaly I don't understand, is the HD Diesel trucks these young kids drive that are tricked out and need an elevator to get in. Can neither be used as a truck, as you can't reach the bed, nor for towing. Where does the money come from. To even get the truck affordable to begin with would be offset by the $$ they likely had to sink in the diesel engine itself. Most newer powerstroke owners ditch them not too long before the known failures are coming. I'm sure Cummins has similar fates if they haven't already been corrected.

Probably 1 or more of 3 things.

1.The kid has rich parents who bought it for them
2. They work a part time job and have no other bills but a car payment bc mommy and daddy don't make them pay anything else.
3. Its financed 7+ years.

Reactions: tbh and GVF
I've heard about the blown engines, lifter problems and wiring harness problems. They'll figure them out in a year or so and the beast will be a great engine. I never had anything with the 6.2 but man I loved the V-10, it would pass anything on the hwy except a gas station.

Yeah. My brother had one of those for his business. He would run the interstate about 80+ to tennessee. Got around 10mpg on the road with his foot. It was a great engine. They've been using the 6.2 for a bit now. I have found very little on that engine. Good news is you can still get the 5.0 in a 150.

I saw maybe a 2018 chevy 1500 on the ford lot yesterday with the 5.3. Thought that was abandoned long ago. That was best motor they've put in a truck. When that was the standard offering you could go from Crossville to Birmingham and back on not much more than half a tank, and have some kick when you wanted it.

Oh yeah. I did read about the wiring harness yesterday. It was related to the spark plug harness and easily fixable with new plug harness. A pain to have to do that on a new Godzilla. Not sure if i'm right, but I think the 6.2 is the base for the coyote. By the time they are adorned the coyote requires more engine bay space, and you can fit the 7.3 in newer model mustangs easier. Read where a modifeid cam and one other thing would kick the 7.3 up to 600 hp without any turbos or supers.

Yeah. My brother had one of those for his business. He would run the interstate about 80+ to tennessee. Got around 10mpg on the road with his foot. It was a great engine. They've been using the 6.2 for a bit now. I have found very little on that engine. Good news is you can still get the 5.0 in a 150.

I saw maybe a 2018 chevy 1500 on the ford lot yesterday with the 5.3. Thought that was abandoned long ago. That was best motor they've put in a truck. When that was the standard offering you could go from Crossville to Birmingham and back on not much more than half a tank, and have some kick when you wanted it.

I had an Excursion with the V-10 10-12 mpg was about the best you could hope for. Good thing is that mpg didn't drop off much when pulling the camper but filling a 44 gallon tank suuuuucked.

Changing out the grill on the new Tundra won't help. It has a lower bumper area that seems to have pulled cues from Lexus, only it doesn't show well on a full size truck. And no V8 option anymore. All turbo 6.
Well that right there is a bigger deal than the grill.

V8s are being phased out. Chevy is pushing the turbo 4 hard in the Silverado’s. It’s actually the standard engine for the Custom Trail Boss

I’ve had 2 of the V-10 that I towed with and they were both long lasting low maintenance cost motors. Not towing I’d get 14 on the interstate which isn’t bad for an 8K pound vehicle I thought. My 4Runner with the 4.7 only gets 16.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I used to be so confused by the same thing. Then I found out they can finance them out to 20 years, and that's without even having perfect credit.

That's how they get them.

I used to be so confused by the same thing. Then I found out they can finance them out to 20 years, and that's without even having perfect credit.

That's how they get them.

That's still a heft payment on a 100k+ boat and 70K truck. But looks like their having some fun.

I’ve had 2 of the V-10 that I towed with and they were both long lasting low maintenance cost motors. Not towing I’d get 14 on the interstate which isn’t bad for an 8K pound vehicle I thought. My 4Runner with the 4.7 only gets 16.

That 4.7 was likely the best V8 Toyota has put out. Or anyone else for that matter.

Wife leases a new Camry every 3 years and I have a perfectly upgradable 2005 F-150. Happy wife…

I'd love to see the manufactures offer 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with 5 and 6 speed manuals, manual door and windows, no frills whatsoever other than a/c.

2023 Chevy El Camino Concept, Price, Release Date

The 2023 Chevy El Camino is likely to use both V6 and four-cylinder engines. This lineup could look similar to that of the Colorado pickup. The mid-sized truck is the best in its class with a towing weight of around 7,700 pounds. It is also available with a diesel engine. The 2.0-liter turbo engine that Equinox and Traverse use could be used by the El Camino. The outputs of this engine will vary depending on how tuned they are, but it can produce 250-260 horsepower and 260-300 lb/ft torque. These are impressive results for a 4-pot engine.

2023-Chevy-El-Camino-Exterior.png

I'd love to see the manufactures offer 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with 5 and 6 speed manuals, manual door and windows, no frills whatsoever other than a/c.
I’ve had a lot more troubles with a/c than power windows and door locks myself.

VN Store

Back