Welcome to College Football 2024!

Not what I said - if they want to be employees of the university then they can ask for a "fair market value". There is also the question of how to determine fair market value. Is that the value in the SEC or the value in the Tennessee area for a QB?

As for NIL, the basis of that is that it is an individual thing - so their NIL is based on someone being interested in their name, image etc. That is not set by a "market area" concept but set by how much a company is willing to pay them for use of their image. And that will be based on the perception of what that brings to said company.
The athletes deserve e fair market value for their NIL whether they are employees or not.

Yes, more of the players back in the 80s loved the University and not just because it was a gateway to the fortunes of the NFL. Did some just want to play for pay? Probably, but it was far different than what we have today. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with today’s athlete trying to get what they can while they can. I’m just glad I got to see it differently as a kid. So why the lol? Do you think there is no difference between what motivated most athletes back then versus today?
Sure, because the media revenue wasn't there and the players were pretty much held hostage at their schools by transfer rules.

The schools sued in the 1980s and got terribly greedy for big TV revenue and turned the whole thing into a big business in football. I think basketball revenue went up about 1990 and the big business there really started.

But yes, it's the players who are to blame for this. 🙄

Sure, because the media revenue wasn't there and the players were pretty much held hostage at their schools by transfer rules.

The schools sued in the 1980s and got terribly greedy for big TV revenue and turned the whole thing into a big business in football. I think basketball revenue went up about 1990 and the big business there really started.

But yes, it's the players who are to blame for this. 🙄
I never said players are to blame or that they shouldn’t get the market value for their talent. I just said I was glad to grow up in a different era when most players weren’t just in it for money.

Reactions: volfan102455
You do realize that college football generally pays for all other sports? The only profitable sports are Football and at some places men's basketball. The impact will be less college sports and less opportunity for athletes from other sports to obtain a scholarship. You ready for no Tennessee baseball, Tennessee softball, woman's basketball, etc? The greed of the football players will remove the opportunity for other athletes.

Very few universities even with all the TV money, make money. Where is the money coming from to pay these players what some of you think they are worth?

And forget getting coaches for these sports - all the money will go to pay football players, many of whom will never make the NFL.
All so the football players and a few other select athletes can get big dollar contracts!

No, it isn't, because the scholarships weren't close to fair market value, especially for the football programs that bring millions of dollars to the schools and the conferences every year.
Well you keep saying that $h!t and when college football as we know and love, is gone in a few years, then WTH will you say about it then?

Well you keep saying that $h!t and when college football as we know and love, is gone in a few years, then WTH will you say about it then?
I'll say the same thing I say now, it's sad but the NCAA and schools had several decades to see this coming and did nothing.

They had attorneys doubtlessly telling them they were in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act and they made no attempt to make their business legal or lobby Congress for an exemption or something besides lose repeatedly in court.

I assume you'd rather have them be in violation of the law as long as you get football, eh?

Everybody made money off of college football except the players.
The players were making money. Jus5 not as much and not in the open. Everyone realized this...even those upset about NIL...everyone knew.

I will never understand how people can be opposed to someone making money off of their talent and skill.

Reactions: orangefloyd
And players that suffered from that fate were cheated hy an system deemed illegal by the SCOTUS with a unanimous vote. Why would you love and long for a system the effed yiung talented people over?
?????????????????????????????????? - I think you got lost in the thread somewhere. Without either an old-fashioned compass and topographic map or a GPS device, I can't find you.

?????????????????????????????????? - I think you got lost in the thread somewhere. Without either an old-fashioned compass and topographic map or a GPS device, I can't find you.
Nope

I responded to a post pointing out how players who were taking money were punished under rules deemed illegal by the SCOTUS

You seem to be lost. Which im guessing is a regular thing.

You think those players alarent putting forth effort and that they have work ethic?

IMO this will provide incentive to work harder. Why wouldnt it?
Alot of people ease off when they achieve some success, not everyone of course, but complacency is a flaw that is wired into human nature and I would worry about it setting in alot faster in high school seniors who haven't worked that hard or accomplished much to start with. D1 athletes at the high school level greatly outclass most of the people they take the field against. It's usually in college where they actually start getting better.

Nope

I responded to a post pointing out how players who were taking money were punished under rules deemed illegal by the SCOTUS

You seem to be lost. Which im guessing is a regular thing.
Thank you. Regularity is something in decreasing supply in this day and age, so being consistent may not be a bad thing. Just saying.
Actually, had you paid attention to my posts on this thread, you'd know your post was errant and accusatory all at once. However, perhaps,
maybe, by happenstance, we both like the idea of players finally getting a piece of the pie the bigwigs have long enjoyed. While denying the players their share. Eh?

The schools weren't in it for the money previously also but you guys ALWAYS ignore that.
The schools used the money to FUND OTHER SPORTS besides football. Why do you want to ignore that? Is it because you are okay for those athletes to lose out on their chance for an education???????

There would be no Lady Vols if not for football. There would be no Baseball Vols if not for football.

The schools used the money to FUND OTHER SPORTS besides football. Why do you want to ignore that? Is it because you are okay for those athletes to lose out on their chance for an education???????

There would be no Lady Vols if not for football. There would be no Baseball Vols if not for football.
You should read about Title IX and get back to me about the Lady Vols.

I've been saying repeatedly that the loss of revenue sports and having to pay players at smaller schools will cut the opportunities for less talented athletes and non revenue athletes.

I'm aware. It's sad. It's bad.

The NCAA and schools are in violation of the law and this didn't "just pop up" but has been a topic surrounding the NCAA for many, many years. They did nothing but keep losing cases in court. They didn't try to fix their business to be in compliance. They didn't try to get Congress to give them an exemption.

Nothing. But sure, players who weren't even born when O'Bannon v NCAA or OK v NCAA were filed are to blame for this? That's BS.

The NCAA is losing cases left, right, and center. ALL of these judges aren't wrong. It's broken. I love college sports but it's broken.

For me, I’m fine with changes that are beneficial to the athletes. Nothing is ever going to be perfect where all parties feel they “won”. That’s life for all of us. It’s good to be thankful with “enough”. That’s why I prefer the old days when it seemed most players didn’t act entitled to more than a free education (which had more value back then). Maybe I was naive and they all were bitter and felt horribly mistreated, but I don’t think so.

You should read about Title IX and get back to me about the Lady Vols.

I've been saying repeatedly that the loss of revenue sports and having to pay players at smaller schools will cut the opportunities for less talented athletes and non revenue athletes.

I'm aware. It's sad. It's bad.

The NCAA and schools are in violation of the law and this didn't "just pop up" but has been a topic surrounding the NCAA for many, many years. They did nothing but keep losing cases in court. They didn't try to fix their business to be in compliance. They didn't try to get Congress to give them an exemption.

Nothing. But sure, players who weren't even born when O'Bannon v NCAA or OK v NCAA were filed are to blame for this? That's BS.

The NCAA is losing cases left, right, and center. ALL of these judges aren't wrong. It's broken. I love college sports but it's broken.
Be that as it may, in the long run the Wild West is not sustainable. All these judges are not saying what is or isn't good policy, they are just saying the current set-up violates Anti-Trust. As we have discussed before though, Congress can change Anti-Trust. I heard Ross Dellenger on Dusty & Danny this morning. He was up on Capitol Hill yesterday for the hearing. He said basically everyone agrees revenue sharing would be part of any Congressional bill and that the momentum is in favor of that being done not through employment. Said it's 50/50 at best that it gets done this year. I am thinking it doesn't get done this year and there will be at least one more year of the Wild West, but eventually there will be a compromise on a conditional/partial exemption from Antitrust for college athletics which puts enforceable rules for competitive balance in place in exchange for revenue sharing. The driving force for ultimate compromise is going to be saving women's sports/the non-revenue sports.

Be that as it may, in the long run the Wild West is not sustainable. All these judges are not saying what is or isn't good policy, they are just saying the current set-up violates Anti-Trust. As we have discussed before though, Congress can change Anti-Trust. I heard Ross Dellenger on Dusty & Danny this morning. He was up on Capitol Hill yesterday for the hearing. He said basically everyone agrees revenue sharing would be part of any Congressional bill and that the momentum is in favor of that being done not through employment. Said it's 50/50 at best that it gets done this year. I am thinking it doesn't get done this year and there will be at least one more year of the Wild West, but eventually there will be a compromise on a conditional/partial exemption from Antitrust for college athletics which puts enforceable rules for competitive balance in place in exchange for revenue. The driving force for ultimate is going to be saving women's sports/the non-revenue sports.
I saw that Cruz said 50-50 also. I'll believe nothing from DC until Biden, Trump, McConnell, Shumer or some other "public servant" takes credit for being the "hero who saved sports."

Sure, Congress CAN create revenue sharing, the NCAA CAN let the big revenue schools separate out but that just essentially creates a pro league for the haves and saves the have nots from having to share revenue they don't have.

Yes, yes, I'm all for it because sports survives hopefully, but I think it's a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

The creation of paid college players who have a salary cap, transfer rules (free agency rules,) probably some form of collective negotiation, and contracts....... walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and probably is a duck.

Mine are orange. When I bought my first pair, they were $2 cheaper than the black or white ones. I’ve bought many orange pairs since, though the prices went up from $14 over the years. High top Chucks have been my skydiving shoes of choice for more than two decades.
These?

1710340238555.png1710340281854.png

VN Store

Back