We were out-coached...

I, too, have a question. When are we going to realize that what makes Eric Berry so special is not that he can go one on one with a blocking running back but that he can roam the dang field like a center fielder? The fact that we are so loaded in our secondary and only have one interception against the two QB's that we have faced at home is an embarrassment to Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 Defense IMO....

Of all teams with 2 games so far this year, we have the #1 ranked defense. I'm not sure what more you want out of the D.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Where were we "out-coached"? What genius play call did UCLA have? They had under 190 yards of offense. Crompton had a horrible game but we need him to turn it around. Had he won the game in the end we would be better off than this whole Nick Stephens love affair. NS did not get it done last year either.

A weak offensive line combined with pocket (and sometimes inaccurate) passer is not a good combination. In this case you have to be able to spread the field to keep the defense guessing. I like Crompton... sure he's a great guy, but he's not getting much time to set up and he's unwilling/unable to run, which means the defense can continue to stack the line. At least Nick Stephens or Lamaison could roll out, bootleg and open the field up a little more. Or, run the gun with Nukeese or G. Jones to keep the defense guessing. This would have been my call at the goal line on the last series.

The loss this weekend was not CLK fault but bad play by the qb. If you look at the total stats we out played UCLA. We gave them short fields to work by the whole game and only gave the three points each possession. Our defense is great our qb just made stupid, stupid decisions in throwing the ball. When we actually went to our running game in the fourth we kept time of possesion over 12 minutes and UCLA only had 2. I agree yes some bad play calling on the 3rd and 4th down in the 4th but if we hadn't had 4 turnovers we would have blown them out. So as far as the out coaching goes I don't believe we were outcoached just had some bad decisions by an unexperiened qb.

Amazingly, our "passing game" is just as pathetic this year as last--but ucla's offense was bad too, and just like last year, they managed to win the game again. Good grief.

The worst thing about losing games like this is that the over-reactors and negative nellies start coming out.

When you have a QB (one who was inherited, not recruitied by this staff, I might add) who is not only ineffective, but actually hurts you more than he helps your offense, the coaching staff is unbelievably handicapped. The only thing they could do is to call run plays because calling pass plays meant a turnover. And considering that UCLA has what many consider the 2nd best D in the P10 and they KNEW what UT was going to do, we ran the ball fairly well.

I know, I know...they should have brought in Nick Stephens because, "he can't be any worse." First of all, yes he can. Fans said the same thing last year, Stephens finally got to play and he QB'd the team to a loss to Wyoming. I heard Clay Travis say that UT's DBs in practice last year called him, "PicNick" because they looked forward to getting some easy INTs when he played. This staff understands that the last thing we need is another flip-flopping QB controversy. Because there really is no "right" choice. So you make sure the guy you're stuck with isn't mentally toyed with by the coaching staff and is as good as he can be. If Crompton has any chance to improve, the staff will have to handle this with delicacy.

No, UCLA's passing game is not nearly as pathetic as ours, as you assert. UCLA's staff had a much easier game to call, as a result. I didn't notice Price throwing the ball to our DBs. He wasn't giving the game away, as our QB was. So no, we weren't outcoached. If the two teams switch QBs, UT wins by at least 2 TDs.

How poorly coached are we? Penalties are always a great indication of how well-coached a team is. We had 2 for 10 yards. Pretty damn good. Our OL has improved. Our running game has improved. Our punter has drastically improved as has our punt coverage and kick return game. Every area has improved over last year, but our poor QB play is killing us.

It's not time to start attacking the coaching staff. 2 games into the Kiffin era and some of you are already giving up on him. Give him a chance to play with a real QB and see what he does. I see a lot of reasons to believe that this staff will be great when they get their recruits in here.

The worst thing about losing games like this is that the over-reactors and negative nellies start coming out.

When you have a QB (one who was inherited, not recruitied by this staff, I might add) who is not only ineffective, but actually hurts you more than he helps your offense, the coaching staff is unbelievably handicapped. The only thing they could do is to call run plays because calling pass plays meant a turnover. And considering that UCLA has what many consider the 2nd best D in the P10 and they KNEW what UT was going to do, we ran the ball fairly well.

I know, I know...they should have brought in Nick Stephens because, "he can't be any worse." First of all, yes he can. Fans said the same thing last year, Stephens finally got to play and he QB'd the team to a loss to Wyoming. I heard Clay Travis say that UT's DBs in practice last year called him, "PicNick" because they looked forward to getting some easy INTs when he played. This staff understands that the last thing we need is another flip-flopping QB controversy. Because there really is no "right" choice. So you make sure the guy you're stuck with isn't mentally toyed with by the coaching staff and is as good as he can be. If Crompton has any chance to improve, the staff will have to handle this with delicacy.

No, UCLA's passing game is not nearly as pathetic as ours, as you assert. UCLA's staff had a much easier game to call, as a result. I didn't notice Price throwing the ball to our DBs. He wasn't giving the game away, as our QB was. So no, we weren't outcoached. If the two teams switch QBs, UT wins by at least 2 TDs.

How poorly coached are we? Penalties are always a great indication of how well-coached a team is. We had 2 for 10 yards. Pretty damn good. Our OL has improved. Our running game has improved. Our punter has drastically improved as has our punt coverage and kick return game. Every area has improved over last year, but our poor QB play is killing us.

It's not time to start attacking the coaching staff. 2 games into the Kiffin era and some of you are already giving up on him. Give him a chance to play with a real QB and see what he does. I see a lot of reasons to believe that this staff will be great when they get their recruits in here.

well put CLK also said after he was hired for patience give the guy a break the only thing i wished he had done was more pitch runs or more sweeps but who knows if that would have worked with the push their D line was getting

funny though he was a god send last week lets support him and crompton

We were out-coached...
My God, man! Crompton could make General Neyland look like a chump coach, even if he had Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi, and Knute Rockne as assistant coaches.

CLK's biggest mistake yesterday, not pulling Crompton after the second INT.

My God, man! Crompton could make General Neyland look like a chump coach, even if he had Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi, and Knute Rockne as assistant coaches.

CLK's biggest mistake yesterday, not pulling Crompton after the second INT.

I agree totally. In saying that,the coach has to make a move during the game when a QB loses his cool and since of what he is there to do, you have to go somewhere else. Is Stephen's better? I don't know but I do know 4 turnovers by any player deserves to set his arse on the bench and the other guy who puts in time just the same should get a shot.

It's not the coach. It's the player. Do you have eyes?
Shweeew!! Thank you. I was about to explode until I made it to your post. Now, I think I'll put this thread far away from my mind. EVERYTHING goes DIRECTLY to cromptons play. Period. Lane will play the hand he's been dealt. Heck, personally, I hope that it does'nt include Crompton, but I trust this staff to make the proper decision. As for Kiffs mouth. Anyone who does not know that his move was VERY calculated does not understand sports or leadership.
#1 He put Tn in the news...it DOES NOT MATTER FOR WHAT. PUB IS PUB. Just ask T.O.
#2 He removed all eyes and pressure from this team and put it directly on his own shoulders.
He is EXACTLY what this program needed and will prove it. Do none of you remember Sabans first season at Bama?

Amazingly, our "passing game" is just as pathetic this year as last--but ucla's offense was bad too, and just like last year, they managed to win the game again. Good grief.

Sorry you were so disappointed. Please don't ever root for the Vols again.

Thank You

This was the general consensus in the stands today. Our offensive coaching staff was soundly outmatched.

what are you talking about, we weren't out coached. we have a senior QB that couldn't throw a pass longer that 5yrds up field. that greatly diminishes the play book. we gave them the ball 3 times on an extremely short field and they scored 9 points. 3 of 14 on rd down.

i could out call our coaches team if they're only option was to run. we did not get out coached

Give me a break....it was only game 2. A game we should have won. But he took responsibility for it and let's move on. He has done everything he has said he would do. Build excitement....get top recruits here....get the best coaching staff. He owned up to it....now let's lay off and see what happens. I am still on the Lane Train. Go Vols.

Bama fan here. I agree, losses like this happen. CLKs biggest sin was doing it the second game, and it might be beneficial in the long run. Better to find/fix mistakes now than in SEC play. Give the man time.

I've seen CNS's ULM loss brought up, asking if Bama fan's wanted CNS fired after that. Absolutely not. Yes we were highly pissed, but (1) it was clear there were lingering issues from the previous staff(this is true for Lane), (2) the season leading up to the LSU game had us hyped(as the rest of your season still could), (3) and I don't mean this as a slam at all, but we had already seen what Saban did at LSU, the excitement over his hire was still fresh(and he didn't do it his first year coaching college ball, give Lane a few seasons to show if he can do it or not).

Championship teams don't happen over night, he seems to be handling everything under his control shockingly well(recruiting, staff....PR could use some help). I watched y'alls game, and the impression that I got was that he was as shocked at Crompton as anyone in the stands. The way he kept staring at his playbook nonstop seemed like a shocked and/or nervous tic. I admit, I don't follow your off season, but something tells me CLK expected better play out of your QB. Hopefully corrections will be made. I might be a Bama fan, but I REALLY want someone in the East to put a beatdown on Meyer. Someone needs to keep him honest, and if that someone is Bama's biggest rival even better. Got to pad that SOS.

All and all, I think CLK has proven himself in 2 of the 3 most important areas(IMHO). The third, and most important(gameday) has yet to be seen. But with only two games down, it's impossible to judge. Until proven otherwise UT fans would be well served to look at the UCLA game as 'one of those games', and hold out on judging CLK's over all performance. It's his second game. Take a breath.

It's a new coaching staff and new system guys. Give 'em a break. We'll know a lot more in two or three years.

VN Store

Back