We were out-coached...

armchair

Amazingly, our "passing game" is just as pathetic this year as last--but ucla's offense was bad too, and just like last year, they managed to win the game again. Good grief.

Guys & Gals, I have a small feeling in the back of my mind that TN has messed up.

Below is a post from a buddy of mine on facebook.

"Mr. Kiffin, Live up to your loud mouth. Mediocrity would be much more tolerable if your mouth wasn't as loud in the preseason."

I agree 100%. Why did Stephans not see a down? What is up with the play calling? (insert some sort of is Fulmer still here comment) I just don't understand. I'm OK if we lose. I'm not OK if we lose and look like crap doing it. At least go down swinging! We rolled over today.:mf_surrender:

This was the general consensus in the stands today. Our offensive coaching staff was soundly outmatched.

There were a couple of weird play calls (first play of second half & play on the goal line for 4th down), but this was not on the coaches. When your QB plays bad, you have a ton of other issues that pop up. You can't run the ball ... You can't control the line ... etc.... this is not on the coaches.

I agree. Kiffin may consider giving some of the reins to Chaney.

I'll give Lane the benefit of the doubt as he was limited to running the football only on offense. Now, what he does with that fact after today remains to be seen. Bottom line - we're still a very bad football team against a real opponet and next week will probably be ugly. What is CLK going to do and how will he respond? We have some talent, we have some youth - can he put together something after he gets anhillated by the Gators next week to make the season respectable?

OH GOD............. Please don't tell me that AL DAVIS WAS RIGHT!!! I really can not take that............. I am going to change from beer to whiskey now :mad:

ya'll r smokin crack. we'll be fine, u can't expect to b world beaters after fulmer dragged this program into the ground

Now, maybe Stephens should've been put in. That's valid. But, we all know how well he did last year too. It's a no-win situation with out QBs right now.

Amazingly, our "passing game" is just as pathetic this year as last--but ucla's offense was bad too, and just like last year, they managed to win the game again. Good grief.

It's not the coach. It's the player. Do you have eyes?

The two plays at the goal line. 3rd and 4th and goal from the 3 and 2 were the worst call ever. UT couldnt run right up the middle all day. All day! One bam, bam. directly up the middle for nothing. Absolutely ridiculous. That and Crompton needs to start seeing bench time.

:eek:hmy:

No.

No healthy, experienced playmakers at WR, our walk-on center kept getting blown up by their All-American DT, and we don't have a QB. That combo's hard to coach.

I do have to question sticking with Crompton all the way to the end. Maybe you had to be with the program last year to see the end of that story coming.

I totally agree. Yeah Crompton sucks, but he's the best we have and you've got to figure out a way to win with him. UCLA protected their QB from making mistakes. We didn't. I think their QB threw it further than 5 yards maybe 3 times, effectively taking Berry's big play ability out of the game. I feel we had very poor offensive play calling. Basically the same run play 4 times in a row on the failed 4th and goal.

Note: UCLA might have been destined to win this game. Honestly 7 fumbles (6 by them) and they recovered 6 of them?!!! There was one with all Tennessee players there and it bounced right back to the guy who fumbled it. Berry would've taken that one to the house.

Well first and goal inside 7 yard line and we can't run in 4 times and get a td then they do not deserve to win the game. Oline was awful and crompton don't get me started
Posted via VolNation Mobile

not only did the real crompton emerge, but in my opinion, the offense hyas been very vanilla, not only today but last week also. CLK needs to open up the play book, and when needs be, dont be afraid to hurt someones feelings, and take crompton out and give stephens a try.

It's easy to get "out-coached" when you have a mental midget at QB.

The blueprint has been laid out on how to beat us again this year.

Coaching and/or play calling has nothing to do with the single most incompetent QB in the history of college football.

I am not sure I understand the criticism.
Is it simply that Lane left Crompton in there? Or was it playcalling? Or what? Let's hear specifics.

Every backup QB on earth is the most popular player on the team when that team loses. I mean, get real.

Yeah, we clearly would have been better off with cromoton throwing the ball. Kiffin didn't have much choice given the success rate of the passing game. The crappy play calling had us within a yard of winning that game.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would've liked to see the Wildcat. Passing wasn't working and so running out of the I wasn't working. You have to do something.

Coaching and/or play calling has nothing to do with the single most incompetent QB in the history of college football.

Crompton has all of the physical tools but he's the biggest QB head case I think I have ever seen. He cannot let the last play get out of his head.

Completely agree.

I think we would be in good shape if we just had a quarterback. Two picks and a fumble on our side of the field cost us that game -- especially when considering how our line played. Poor Sullins got owned harder than a night out with Chris Brown.

VN Store

Back