We lose our best 3 on O & D next season

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

Is Billy right or wrong...

Lyle recruited players. Don’t need

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

When did Warrior become one of our best 3? The last 3 games dont make up for the first 3 and a half years. We will be fine.

When did Warrior become one of our best 3? The last 3 games dont make up for the first 3 and a half years. We will be fine.
Right now. He’s one of our best 3, most productive, most important....at this point in time. And, you may notice in my OP, Billy said the D will improve next year.

Not mentioned here is Cmaglia. I think he's the biggest loss if he goes to the draft, because he's got a special talent. When you can threaten points from the 50 yard line that is a weapon.

Reactions: Remy
Don't forget we get gooden back at DL also for next year. Will miss Batuli and Warrior to an extent.
Uh, no. If you think an NFL team is going to draft someone in the first round who doesn’t practice because he’s on blood thinners half the week, you’re crazy.

You obviously don’t know the treatment protocol he’s been on this year.
Trey is a 1st round Talent when healthy no doubt. Did you forget he was the #1 player coming out of high school and an All-American his freshman year. I don’t think he leaves early for the draft and do think he goes pro after his senior year. If he does indeed come back for his senior year and plays every game he will be a day 1 pick in my opinion. But jus tin case he does go undesired then he can control his own destiny in what team he wants to play for. Just look at La’el Collins for Dallas Cowboys. Every expert had him a Top 10 pick in draft and he had some legal issues. But as soon as the draft was over he got calls immediately and he then sign as I drafted FA and Cowboys got a discount on a 1st round talent and he played early and offer. So rather Trey is drafted or not he will help any team out he goes to for sure!!!

Most of the country loses their 3 best, many lose a lot more than that.

Florida for example will lose RB Lamical Perine, WR’s Van Jefferson, Tyrie Cleveland, Freddie Swain and Josh Hammond, plus their starting center Buchanan, and probably their season starter at QB Franks.

On defense, they lose their starting MLB David Reese, their bookend pass rushers Greenard and Zuniga, and probably their two best CB’s to the NFL, CJ Henderson definitely and Marco Wilson possibly. Not to mention their two starting interior DT’s Campbell and Shuler.

So if you can only point to 3 dudes on both sides of the ball, that’s not bad at all.

Reading comprehension - it’s your friend. RIGHT NOW, those other players aren’t as good. NEXT YEAR, despite losing these players I expect our D to improve.

Reread OP as needed.

So your great big thread-starting point is the younger backups aren't as good as the veteran starters right now but they might be by next year? Well that's a little obvious, but ok.

Trey is a 1st round Talent when healthy no doubt. Did you forget he was the #1 player coming out of high school and an All-American his freshman year. I don’t think he leaves early for the draft and do think he goes pro after his senior year. If he does indeed come back for his senior year and plays every game he will be a day 1 pick in my opinion. But jus tin case he does go undesired then he can control his own destiny in what team he wants to play for. Just look at La’el Collins for Dallas Cowboys. Every expert had him a Top 10 pick in draft and he had some legal issues. But as soon as the draft was over he got calls immediately and he then sign as I drafted FA and Cowboys got a discount on a 1st round talent and he played early and offer. So rather Trey is drafted or not he will help any team out he goes to for sure!!!
What do you mean did I forget it?
No. Trey seems like a great guy and I wish him nothing but health and success. This isn’t something personal. Good friggin grief. Your example has zero comparison to Trey. He has a serious life threatening health issue. I’m glad, but shocked he’s playing. The NFL is driven by money and they don’t hand out those contracts based on high school ranking. The question is whether Trey can pass a physical. I hope Trey beats this and makes it, but I’m realistic.

So your great big thread-starting point is the younger backups aren't as good as the veteran starters right now but they might be by next year? Well that's a little obvious, but ok.
Who said Billy had a great big point? It’s a chit chat board...if you’re not interested, don’t click.

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

Warrior-Not top 3

Smith-How do you know he will leave?

Last edited:
Reactions: lexkyvol
Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

not top 3 on defense. id say not even top5

give me d.taylor, bituli, t'oto'to, thompson, a.taylor.....and gooden if he was healthy as well

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Losing Jennings and Bituli will be the biggest hits. They bring leadership that can't be easily replaced.

Also losing Trey Smith will hurt, but I suspect it's inevitable; if he's a 1st or 2nd rounder, I think he skips his Senior year.

My only big concern next year is WRs. Big dropoff with losing Jennings and Callaway. We have some good up-and-comers, but we haven't landed any stud WRs. Hopefully, some combo of Keyton, Tillman, Gibbs, Brandon Johnson, etc can fill the void, but I think that's the one position group where we won't be as good next year.
will be NICE next year with gibbs, johnson, palmer, keyton, and tillman leading the way

Warrior is all over the field making plays but Ruggs closed on him like he was standing still.
He’s still very much up and down. Still takes horrible angles, as evidenced by the first play vs SCar. Recovered and played well, made some nice physical stops in the run game soon after. But on balance, he’s been bad this year. And like you said, he’s slow as hell, which explains a lot of what we’ve see. Over the years. I’ll be curious to see how he tests at Tennessee’s pro day, but when scouts turn on his game film, he’s gonna have a ton to explain.

Losing Jennings and Bituli will be the biggest hits. They bring leadership that can't be easily replaced.

Also losing Trey Smith will hurt, but I suspect it's inevitable; if he's a 1st or 2nd rounder, I think he skips his Senior year.

My only big concern next year is WRs. Big dropoff with losing Jennings and Callaway. We have some good up-and-comers, but we haven't landed any stud WRs. Hopefully, some combo of Keyton, Tillman, Gibbs, Brandon Johnson, etc can fill the void, but I think that's the one position group where we won't be as good next year.

Agreed about WR/TE but would also add LB as a 2nd position group where we may regress. Big time talent at LB that will need to step up.

What do you mean did I forget it?
No. Trey seems like a great guy and I wish him nothing but health and success. This isn’t something personal. Good friggin grief. Your example has zero comparison to Trey. He has a serious life threatening health issue. I’m glad, but shocked he’s playing. The NFL is driven by money and they don’t hand out those contracts based on high school ranking. The question is whether Trey can pass a physical. I hope Trey beats this and makes it, but I’m realistic.
You act like Trey is the only person with serious medical issues that play in NFL or that has played before. There has been multiple NFL players diagnosed with Blood clots in lungs and are playing now or doing treatment, or have played multiple season before retiring. for example so you don’t have to look it up David Andrews, Russel Okung, Clint Boling. What do all these players have in common with Trey? Well they all Offensive lineman and the 3 named was drafted. Trey will get his chance and rather he drafted in 1st round or 7th round with last pick be won’t go undrafted. Team take chances on players every year with 5-7 round picks and release them when they don’t make roster in spring.

Reactions: walkenvol
Trey is smart enough to make the decision that is best for him. I figure he will put in for his draft projection and if he likes it will leave if not we will see him next year. If he leave we lose a dominant interior lineman. Juan will be missed for his leadership confidence and determination, but think we have several options to replace his skill. I think the talent is there to replace Bituli and warrior without much drop off.

VN Store

Back