We lose our best 3 on O & D next season

Billy Ratliff

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

Is Billy right or wrong...

Reactions: Titan05
1. Trey is a junior

2. Not sure I'd consider Nigel top 3 on defense, he's been OK. Definitely didnt live up to his rating out of HS. Hopefully we can replace him with some speed.

3. Having a solid o line next year will help us out a lot, should be a huge strength. Losing JJ will hurt, no way around it.

4. I'm excited about our potential on defense next year!

Emerson
Middleton
Bennet
Toto
Crouch
Hank
Alontae
Bryce
Tank
Trevon

(Also excited to see where Gibbs fits in)

0-12

Nah, all jokes aside. I'm glad our upperclassmen are leading the way. It's something that should happen every year. There should be a group of Juniors and Sophomores from this year's team that assume the leadership role next year.

We're going to be fine. We've got enough young guys that have played a lot of football this year that we don't have ti worry about breaking them in next year. Just gotta keep building depth. I think the defense is going to be better next year, especially up front.

Too bad these guys only “flashed” and peaked late in their time here. (Speaking mostly of those on Defense) Meanwhile, here’s to hoping some of the many Freshman getting a LOT of playing time this year, will “flash” earlier and longer.

And yes CA Vol...DLs are MUCH needed!

As for Jennings...HE WILL leave a large hole behind, in heart and leadership.

It sucks to lose them but hopefully whatever they got can be picked up by the younger guys,

Guess we’ll see how good our coaches actually are.

Reactions: Volanta
Too bad these guys only “flashed” and peaked late in their time here. Meanwhile, here’s to hoping some of the many Freshman getting a LOT of playing time this year, will “flash” earlier and longer.

Got to consider who their coach was the first 2 years.

They all had potential, just underutilized under poor coaching.

I think these players have stepped up in the last 4 games and we would have had a tough time beating MSU and USC without their sparks.. They ahve been keep in their leadership in the last 4 dames, They have dmonstrated what it takes to compete in the SEC and their production will be missed. However, we always lose players to graduation and other unforeseen events and depth and recruiting must fill in the gaps. I think that there new leaders will emerge and we will be able to recruit at a high level. This is what we always face in college football and we need to continue to recruit good talent with character.

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

Is Billy right or wrong...
You lose players every year.
Trey is a junior. Does he go pro? With his current health issues I think he’s undraftable.

Reactions: 08Vol and 37620VOL
Is this the real Billy?! To me, Bryce Thompson is balling out and next to Bituli is the top defensive performer at this point.

Selfishly I hope Trey doesn’t leave but he needs to make his money. JJ and Trey will be our biggest loss.

If Trey stays, we’ll be really good up front. On defense, I think we’re better next year.

Reactions: PA Vol
I hope Billy is right. And i think he is.
Smith is a junior. Is it a given that he doesn't come back?

Trey has not completed a whole season without missing a game in college. Some NFL team would take a chance on him in lower rounds but think if he proves this year and next he would be a round 1 guy. He's not even a full time practice guy yet not sure that would translate to the more rugged NFL. He will be facing the best every week.
I think he comes back and keeps a close eye medically on everything and family will make decision, he may not even play NFL.

Venturing a big and insane 2020 notions here.

Defense - Coached up players going drafted will encourage worthy transfer portals to the UT.
Offense - Coached up OL (especially the frosh) will encourage transfer as well, plus EPT.
If the Chaney offense maintains high scores, we'll see big-time WR recruits picking the UT.
I dare to even say if we win out that guy who dumped us for LSU will come back our way.

If he plays this whole season without problems he will be a first round pick easily.
Uh, no. If you think an NFL team is going to draft someone in the first round who doesn’t practice because he’s on blood thinners half the week, you’re crazy.

You obviously don’t know the treatment protocol he’s been on this year.

Trey has not completed a whole season without missing a game in college. Some NFL team would take a chance on him in lower rounds but think if he proves this year and next he would be a round 1 guy. He's not even a full time practice guy yet not sure that would translate to the more rugged NFL. He will be facing the best every week.
I think he comes back and keeps a close eye medically on everything and family will make decision, he may not even play NFL.

I don't think Trey missed a game his freshman year, could be wrong.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Too bad these guys only “flashed” and peaked late in their time here. (Speaking mostly of those on Defense) Meanwhile, here’s to hoping some of the many Freshman getting a LOT of playing time this year, will “flash” earlier and longer.

As for Jennings...HE WILL leave a large hole behind, in heart and leadership.

And to think we had a bunch of "knowledgeable" fans that didn't want him back for his "lying ass coaches" video.

I am betting most won't own it today. He was 100% correct though.

Reactions: Ratvol
Losing Jennings and Bituli will be the biggest hits. They bring leadership that can't be easily replaced.

Also losing Trey Smith will hurt, but I suspect it's inevitable; if he's a 1st or 2nd rounder, I think he skips his Senior year.

My only big concern next year is WRs. Big dropoff with losing Jennings and Callaway. We have some good up-and-comers, but we haven't landed any stud WRs. Hopefully, some combo of Keyton, Tillman, Gibbs, Brandon Johnson, etc can fill the void, but I think that's the one position group where we won't be as good next year.

VN Store

Back