We lose our best 3 on O & D next season

Too good to go undraftable. But I would certainly think no more than a day 3 pick with the health issues. Could really excell in a rotational role in the NFL, imo.
Top 5 talent with health concerns, he'll go day2 at the latest. Teams will take the financial risk in the 2nd round and often take that risk for that type of talent day 1.

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

Is Billy right or wrong...
Im not really worried about Warrior leaving as I think the younger guys behind him will be ok. Bituli, as great as he has been, he also has some talent behind him so the thing that will be missed most is his football IQ. I do worry about our receivers next year, but hopefully they show up and I would love for Trey to come back, but wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving. When he gets to the league they'll most likely put him in a similar program like Russell Okung and be on a snap count.

This is my concern.. Outside of Palmer, I have no idea who’s a go to target, some will argue with Palmer but that guy just gets open..

My other concern is who plays linebacker outside of Henry T.
Crouch and Peterson if he can get his shoulder healthy. We're gonna be thin at ILB after those 3. One kid from the Memphis trio has a good chance to play early.

I think Palmer is a really good player and Keyton is very similar. Those are 2 good football players that will play a bunch and be tough to defend.

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

All these guys playing very well right now and a big reason for recent success. But...I’m not overly concerned and think we’ll take a big step next year especially on D.

Not convinced Trey leaves. I’m sure his people will test it with the NFL evaluation program. The league is always looking for the next Quentin Nelson, but they may not want to fork out a top 10...or even first rounder to someone who hasn’t been able to string together consecutive healthy seasons. It’s all about getting that second contract but it’s also about millions of dollars difference in contractual guaranteed money. Rest of your list stepped up in recent games. Save for Jennings and Bituli we have equal or better talent behind them. Taylor can be a beast...but he disappears for stretches.

Crouch and Peterson if he can get his shoulder healthy. We're gonna be thin at ILB after those 3. One kid from the Memphis trio has a good chance to play early.

I think Palmer is a really good player and Keyton is very similar. Those are 2 good football players that will play a bunch and be tough to defend.
Don't forget about Roman Harrison at LB.

Who are more important than Warrior and Taylor right now? Warrior had 10 tackles Sat and Taylor is almost 100% of our OLB sack production. I’m not saying other guys aren’t important or playing well.

Brent Hubbs and VQ staff all say that Trey is gone.
Yeah...they’re 100%. 😏

Top 5 talent with health concerns, he'll go day2 at the latest. Teams will take the financial risk in the 2nd round and often take that risk for that type of talent day 1.
Knee injuries yeah. Medical (life threatening) conditions? Don’t know of any examples. Only takes one team and I can see it happening, but he’s just as likely to be an UDFA.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Not convinced Trey leaves. I’m sure his people will test it with the NFL evaluation program. The league is always looking for the next Quentin Nelson, but they may not want to fork out a top 10...or even first rounder to someone who hasn’t been able to string together consecutive healthy seasons. It’s all about getting that second contract but it’s also about millions of dollars difference in contractual guaranteed money. Rest of your list stepped up in recent games. Save for Jennings and Bituli we have equal or better talent behind them. Taylor can be a beast...but he disappears for stretches.
Henry T will be a better player than Bituli, I think Crouch will be just as good. JJs production can be replaced talent wise, maybe not his leadership though.

Knee injuries yeah. Medical (life threatening) conditions? Don’t know of any examples. Only takes one team and I can see it happening, but he’s just as likely to be an UDFA.
They've got insurance on those contracts. If they can get him for under 3-5 million guaranteed money I think they will take the risk. It's money they've got, not many have guards like him that can handle the DTs in the league.

They've got insurance on those contracts. If they can get him for under 3-5 million guaranteed money I think they will take the risk. It's money they've got, not many have guards like him that can handle the DTs in the league.
No insurance company is going to underwrite that policy. There’s a reason my wife couldn’t increase her life insurance after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. As I already posted, it only takes one team looking for the next Quentin Nelson to bite. But the owners didn’t become billionaires throwing away money on bad risks. We’re debating the LIKLIHOOD of Trey going pro. I can see why he would take the plunge but if he’s betting on himself (as he has since he was diagnosed), then I can even more likely see him come back.

To me this is such a dumb saying. It belittles their worth in my opinion...like it's no big deal we are losing these potential future NFL players:confused:
I agree, it's hard to be better when you lose your best players! That said, it's hard to explain our 98 NC and why it took losing Peyton to get there. In reality, the whole team needs to step up when it happens.

To me this is such a dumb saying. It belittles their worth in my opinion...like it's no big deal we are losing these potential future NFL players:confused:
Good grief, are you serious? It belittles no one’s worth at all. I never said it’s not a tough loss but It’s simply the way it is. People/players move on. It’s life.....

To me it’s dumb to whine about things you have absolutely no control over, like student/athletes graduating or turning pro.

I’m goin to enjoy watchin these guys ball out for the rest of the season, and hope they go high in the draft. It looks good to recruits and will help us land the top-tier talent we’ll need to get to the next level.

GO VOLS, baby!!

Couple concerns heading into next yr but also tons of positives.

Jennings is irreplaceable but I think Gibbs could surprise folks. Palmer/Keyton/BJ/and a deep threat from maybe the frosh Jalin Hyatt could be a nice combo.
Trey could leave but fingers crossed he stays.
Defense loses Bitulli, Taylor, Warrior. I think Henry T will step in just fine as the lead backer after a whole offseason preparing for that role. We’ve got Crouch who will probably slide back inside with Henry and we’ll have Roman Harrison outside. Who knows maybe if JJ Peterson can stay healthy and get his 1st full offseason he could contribute.
At CB we’re loaded with several options and safety we’ll have Tank, Flowers, Tyus, and highly touted K. Lawrence.

Bituli
Taylor
Warrior

Jennings
Callaway
Trey

Bryce Thompson is the best player on our defense right now. He is an elite corner, and will play in the nfl for a long time as long as he can stay outta trouble.

I'd say the biggest losses will be Jennings, Kennedy, and Bituli.

Crouch and Harrison will be more polished, which will help with losing Bituli.

Brandon Johnson returns after taking a redshirt this year... that will help and I expect Palmer to step up but we'll definitely miss Jennings and Calloway. It's a shame Gilbert isn't coming with Bailey... he could've been our #1 WR as a true freshman.

Not sure who will play center next year, but we have options. Carvin, Calbert, Akporoghene, Johnson, Lampley, Lane... finally some decent bodies on our roster.

Getting Flowers back should help with losing Warrior and we've got some good DBs coming in.

Jennings' leadership will be missed. But we'll also be getting a lot more leadership from the QB position. I think Maurer has that factor and he won't be a freshman anymore. Others will also step up.

Common sense and reality says that nfl teams will red flag Trey and not draft a guy and invest millions of dollars in a guy with a serious medical condition who doesn’t practice with contact during week for his college team.

Perhaps there’s a team that takes a flyer, takes a chance on a great physical talent with a late round pick, we’ll see. But I think it’s unlikeiy.

I fully expect to see Trey back at Tennessee for his senior year.
And maybe everyone will pass on him but people who know much more about the situation than me or you say he’s planning to leave.

From last year, we lost about 75% of the starting O line, and front 7, that started in final game.

Off top of my head:

Shy Tuttle
Darrin Kirkland
Paul Bain
Eli Wolf
Drew Richmond
Chance Hall
Kyle Phillips
Micah Abernathy
Dillon Bates
Will Ignont
Todd Kelly
Alexis Johnson
Jonathon Kongbo
Chance Hall

Billy needs to change Billy's name to Negative Nancy.

I guess you missed the part where I said the defense will take a big step forward next year...

If Tennessee goes 7-5 this season I think they go 9-3 in 2020

Agreed here. I think the last hurdle is mental. If we close out to finish 7-5 (dare we project to 8-5 with a bowl win 😬) I think we’ve crossed that last hurdle. We’ve got more roster-wide talent following these guys up. They will help instill that mindset, and the talent will flourish. GBO!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
You could make the argument that To'oto'o and Thompson are among the best on Defense. Henry, Crouch and the DL should make great strides in the offseason.

After JJ and Trey: Everyone is pretty close to each other talentwise on offense (Calloway, DWA, Kennedy, Wright, Morris, Jordan, Chandler, Jamir Johnson, Maurer, etc). Although, Wright, Morris, Pope and Grey probably have the most upside for improvement.

VN Store

Back