We got the right coach

Jury is still out, if you claim to "know" you are just suffering from battered vol syndrome. Next year won't be much bettet offensively I'm afraid but the defense should be better. I think by 2021 we will have a pretty good grasp of the direction of the program under Pruitt. All we can expect is improvement, we are so far away from "competing" at the upper levels of the conference it's all we can ask right now. We just have to get better.

Reactions: sami and Vol524
What you guys who want to pull the plug in year two if instant success isn't happening fail to understand is that no coach worth a damn is coming into a toxic situation where he barely has a chance to get his program established before the crazed alumni and fan base are calling for his head. And recruits with an eye on a pro career will avoid this place like the plague.

UT is no longer considered an elite place to coach or play (far from it), and any chance of that ever happening again will only occur if some stability and then success is seen here. We're actually damned fortunate to have been able to get a Pruitt given the dumpster fire that coaching search turned into.

Was he the first, second, third, or even fourth choice? Obviously not, but unless he's given a full opportunity to get his program in place and recruit properly without the week to week calls for his head, UT will permanently join the ranks of mid-low tier schools like Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina, where a bowl game is the ultimate goal any season.

You give him his shot, meaning the life of his contract - if there isn't relative success and a pipeline of high end talent coming in by then, you cut bait and do it again until it works. But if he's dropped in or after year two, no coach in his right mind (other than the Dooleys and Jones' of the world) will come near this place.

And these "they should hire _______" posts are laughable. Matt Campbell is going to come here, the way things have been run over the last ten years? Please.

Go ahead, flame away.

Can we not just wait to see how this season ends before we start the whole good coach, bad coach thing? I don’t know about you but I’m getting pretty tired of the whole fire this guy, hire that guy thing we all read on a daily basis.

These people are either grasping for straws or the bar is so low that anything remotely positive impresses the hell out of them.
I think I may be in that pathetic camp, of just being impressed by something positive. I suppose I know deep down that Pruitt isn’t the guy to right this ship, but I also think we just can not blow another coach out, after year two. I really don’t know what to think. Hell, I’m the guy that’s impressed with 14 points and keeping it close for a quarter.
GBO!!

Most of you that are posting negative probably never played an organized sport after pee wee football, and most likely because you quit or bitched bc things were hard or didn’t go you way. What Coach would come in here right now, and win this year? Just stfu! It is what it is at this point. You think that damn Nick Saban would come in here year 2 and win with this roster? Even the good players we have, there is nobody behind them worth a crap or with experience. Next year is when u judge by improvement. It won’t be a 10 win year but 7-8 wins yeah, hopefully. 1 recruiting class is basically what Pruitt has had. Those recruits are already coming in and playing a lot bc they are better players or have not been ruined by previous coaching staff. Everybody chill. Watch it grow or watch it fail. If it fails then we arent Going backwards. Idk how it can get any worse.

I don't think Pruitt has shown much in game coaching ability yet to say he is the guy. There's still too many little things that do not show much progress on his end. I thought he should have used some timeouts near the end of the first half to try and help his defense when GA was driving the ball with an up tempo offense. No reason to save those time outs.

Reactions: PhilFulmersGut
Most of you that are posting negative probably never played an organized sport after pee wee football, and most likely because you quit or bitched bc things were hard or didn’t go you way. What Coach would come in here right now, and win this year? Just stfu! It is what it is at this point. You think that damn Nick Saban would come in here year 2 and win with this roster? Even the good players we have, there is nobody behind them worth a crap or with experience. Next year is when u judge by improvement. It won’t be a 10 win year but 7-8 wins yeah, hopefully. 1 recruiting class is basically what Pruitt has had. Those recruits are already coming in and playing a lot bc they are better players or have not been ruined by previous coaching staff. Everybody chill. Watch it grow or watch it fail. If it fails then we arent Going backwards. Idk how it can get any worse.

Saban wouldn't have this roster here in year two. He'd probably be in the 8-10 win range. Urban would probably be in the 9-11 win range.

I liked a lot of what I saw as far as the fight and fire and flashes. We led the number 3 team and were within a score at the end of the half. We simply don’t have the depth. I won’t give up on this staff cause we all know they are good coaches. They just need to get more bodies to compete for 60 minutes.
26-14 ? uh?

Saban wouldn't have this roster here in year two. He'd probably be in the 8-10 win range. Urban would probably be in the 9-11 win range.
Playing freshman and juco players? I seriously doubt it. After Dooley left, we have never recovered. We have had so much turnover in coaches and players that we have never built anything back up. We have 6 seniors. Very few juniors are contributing anything either.

Jury is still out, if you claim to "know" you are just suffering from battered vol syndrome. Next year won't be much bettet offensively I'm afraid but the defense should be better. I think by 2021 we will have a pretty good grasp of the direction of the program under Pruitt. All we can expect is improvement, we are so far away from "competing" at the upper levels of the conference it's all we can ask right now. We just have to get better.
I'll shoot myself or stop watching this garbage if Pruitt is still here then.

Our coach is now 6-11 with 9 of those loss’s being by 25 or more points
Did you see the roster he inherited compared to the other big time SEC programs? The O and D Lines were embarrassingly sub-par and then you combine that with the awful QB play what do you expect? He has to have time to recruit SEC caliber players and if we are dumb enough to run him off after basically one full recruiting class then we keep this roster with huge holes in it for the foreseeable future.

That's my biggest issue. Pruitt is a defensive guy and the D looks lost most of the time.

I'm with you. A season and a half in, players still can't line-up right. And, creative play-calling can help out weaker talent, but I see absolutely nothing creative in the defensive play-calling.

If you have not saw improvement then you must stay drunk.

The D was as bad as ever. The running game was non existent. The punting was off. A great kicker did miss one (not an easy one). The receivers were good but did drop some balls. The D lined up at least 5 times wrong or didn’t get lined up.

Passing game was better early on.......but over all it was nothing to write home about......although the new QB looks to help Tennessee in the weeks to come.

Reactions: papatomany
Dickey’s biggest screwup as an AD was not getting Spurrier when he had the chance.

1985 bought John about 5 more years. But if Tennessee was serious the about winning, they’d hired SS after 1988. For how long, I can’t say as Florida came open in 89 and that was his alma mater.

1985 bought John about 5 more years. But if Tennessee was serious the about winning, they’d hired SS after 1988. For how long, I can’t say as Florida came open in 89 and that was his alma mater.

Spurrier would have given his eye teeth to be the HBC at UT.

Did you see the roster he inherited compared to the other big time SEC programs? The O and D Lines were embarrassingly sub-par and then you combine that with the awful QB play what do you expect? He has to have time to recruit SEC caliber players and if we are dumb enough to run him off after basically one full recruiting class then we keep this roster with huge holes in it for the foreseeable future.
This same argument was given for Dooley and Butch and it only works when you’re not losing to teams lesser talented teams like Vandy and BYU.

Reactions: papatomany

VN Store

Back