We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay

This team Has been a pleasure to follow this season. They are such a class act and to have their season taken away by an official is downright atrocious, but typical for Tennessee sports. The foul on the 3 pointer was complete BS. In addition, the ball went off their players ankle and the officials couldn't even get it right after reviewing the call. Joe Lindsay was the official that stole our Elite 8 and possible Final 4. We are now 3-3 this year in games he has called. So 3 of our 6 losses were officiated by the same official. He called 6 of our 7 fouls in the first half tonight. Joe Lindsay also called the foul on LaMonte Turner with 1 second left that let Purdue tie the game which even the pundits are already talking about what a bad call that was. Let that sink in for a minute. Thanks Joe Lindsay for ruining what was going to be an historic season in Tennessee basketball history.

100% correct

You shouldn't have to. Ever wonder why reviews take so long? Maybe they're discussing how much they may lose on their bets or bribes depending on the call. Yeah, pretty far out, but, NCAA officials have been found to cheat based on bets or bribes.

Well I will agree that you shouldn't have to. There are many things that should not be the way they are. But unfortunately, the refs are bad everywhere and have always been bad. Did you watch the Men play Purdue? So you know it is bad and you have to do enough so that it does not have an effect on the outcome you want.

Is your picture of Leon Redbone?

A few interesting points to clarify.

1) refs set they could not change the clock at the end because they couldn't hear the whistle. They had to go by the hand raise. Ok got it. It is the rule.
2) TV crew said they started the clock early, before Williams caught the ball. Did the refs review that?
3) The out of bounds of the leg "no call" was the right call. As Chris Webber said, the spin of the ball didn't change.

So really you wind up with a foul that should not have been called, a likely step out of bounds and not enough time on the clock. All because of the refs, but hey if you make some FTs, game over.

Actually, the team did put themselves in a position to win the game by the way they played during the comeback. They fought from as many as 18 points down to having a 2 point lead with under 9 seconds to play. One very controversial call undid all of that work in a split second. Had the foul not been called, there was ZERO chance there could have been a rebound and put back. This is a case that the referee had a direct impact on the outcome of the game. Good, bad or otherwise, that call changed the outcome of the game. There was nothing left in the tank for another OT game.
We came back because we increased the defensive intensity. Purdue’s guards other than Edwards did not like being closely guarded were they had to handle the ball. If we would have played defense like that in the first half Purdue probably only scores 30 in the first half. I’m not saying the guys didn’t play hard and want to win, but they didn’t come out with the defensive intensity they should have. Cline might not have caught fire and got comfortable if we came out with the defensive intensity we showed in the second half.

Last edited:
We came back because we increased the defensive intensity. Purdue’s guard other than Edwards did not like being closely guarded were they had to handle the ball. If we would have played defense like that in the first half Purdue probably only scores 30 in the first half. I’m not saying the guys didn’t play hard and want to win, but they didn’t come out with the defensive intensity they should have. Cline might not have caught fire and got comfortable if we came with the defensive intensity we showed in the second half.
A Virginia fan sat next to me last night, and he said that he liked U.T. and had followed them on tv, and he said the exact same thing about their lack of intensity early.

We came back because we increased the defensive intensity. Purdue’s guard other than Edwards did not like being closely guarded were they had to handle the ball. If we would have played defense like that in the first half Purdue probably only scores 30 in the first half. I’m not saying the guys didn’t play hard and want to win, but they didn’t come out with the defensive intensity they should have. Cline might not have caught fire and got comfortable if we came with the defensive intensity we showed in the second half.
Yes, that and a hundred other different scenarios could have played out. Doesn't change the outcome of the game nor the enjoyment of the season as a whole.

I normally hate listening to Steven A. Smith but he’s 100% correct on this.

And no, IT DID cost us the game. There’s no could’ve to it!

Turner was punished for playing great defense and that pretty much sums up our luck right there.
This is absolutely correct and all of them agree. It should not have been called and we were robbed of a win in that last minute. And Lamonte go punished for playing great defense.

It didn’t matter because they gave us no time but I love how the game ended before anyone even touched the ball on that last inbound play. I didn’t like our strategy at the end. If you are going to go for the TO then you have to throw it across halfcourt to get the TO. With under 2 second there’s no time for a second pass.
Had we had the .6 seconds, we MIGHT have had more of a chance. Catch and one dribble and shot. I know it's quick but the buzzer went off before the inbounds play was even made.

I just want to say that the NCAA needs to take a closer look at who is officiating. It's embarrassing, really. Twice this happened to UT costing them a game. Yes they could have won either game with better play but calls from Anthony Jordan and Joe Lindsay costed UT 2 awfully important games those year.

Doesn't fit his agenda so he won't mention the other angle that is later in the play.

What "agenda"? The baseline angle is deceptive because the leg is in the foreground. The picture I posted shows the leg is a good 3 feet from the ball. The only way for it to hit the ball is if the body spun, which it didn't.

Calm down. If the guys would have played hard for 40 minutes, we would have won. We didn’t put a full game together all season. Our seniors came out flat. Our star player fouled when he didn’t need to in the first and second half. Our point guard with elite speed didn’t use his advantage much(he got blocked on a few possessions, but he could have used his speed to wear them down). Our top free throw shooter missed five free throws. Our coach never attempted to adjust his defense, even after every team seemed to shoot over their season average from three. The refs weren’t great, but we didn’t put ourselves in a position to win that game.

I agree with your reply slightly. But, the OP was spot on and you or no one else can spin it another way. UT always seems to get screwed by the officiating in close games no matter the sport. For years, I thought I was wearing orange glasses. Now, I don't think that is the case. Majors, Peyton, and so many have been screwed by tons of people that simply can't stand UT for whatever reason. I have coached baseball for 18 years and now umpire. I never took my frustration towards parents out on kids. I am never biased when umpiring no matter how the parents or players act, or how I feel about a team. But, there are many in this world that have an agenda. Many have a negative agenda toward UT and I am so sick and tired of it. I know life isn't fair. But, the ref(s) did steal the game from UT last night, period. Purdue also didn't play well for two halves and won the game. So, don't come at us with your post about it was all on the UT players. Edwards pushed off and kicked on his jump shots several times and the fouls weren't called on him. That is BS!!! I don't know for certain if Edwards stepped on the line or the ball was off the ankle of the other Purdue player. But, it seems like when it is a 50/50 call the call goes against UT 80% of the time. Is it the ORANGE COLORED glasses or a fact?

Last edited:
My point is if they had hit their foul shots, they could have beaten us much worse. Ifs and buts don't mean much after it's over.
I figured that was your point. The point bringing up fouls is we had a chance to win on our own merit. Don't blame it on the refs. Your argument is valid but it is effectively changing the subject.

I figured that was your point. The point bringing up fouls is we had a chance to win on our own merit. Don't blame it on the refs. Your argument is valid but it is effectively changing the subject.
Show me where I blamed the refs. I just mean that you can play the what if game all night. We missed 14 foul shots and they missed 17. I don't ever remember seeing a game where 2 good foul shooting teams couldn't hit half of their free throws. I was there, and if a shot didn't hit net only, it didn't want to go in.

VN Store

Back