We are truly going to see how good Barnes is

Year 5. I'm tired of excuses at Tennessee. Every sport has excuses these days.
There are a lot of people in here that are Sunshine Pumpers. I've said for a long time making excuses guess what is holding this program back. Schools like North Carolina and Duke demand more. They aren't satisfied with coming home underachieving. We throw a parade.

Has anyone noticed that Bone not Grant is actually gone???
Speculation. Nothing confirmed

There are a lot of people in here that are Sunshine Pumpers. I've said for a long time making excuses guess what is holding this program back. Schools like North Carolina and Duke demand more. They aren't satisfied with coming home underachieving. We throw a parade.

We are new to this level of success. Ended season with 2 wins against Ky. Coach got national recognition & a huge award. Player made 1st team All American. Made it to Sweet 16. #1 team in America for 4 weeks. Never fell out of top 10 at any point in season

No SEC tourney banner. No SEC regular season champ banner. No national championship banner

Of course they demand more. We aren't North Carolina, Duke, or any of those other schools. Acknowledging improvement isnt being a sunshine pumper. Those schools that demand more are filled with All American, 5 star talent. They pay their coaches triple. Of course they demand more. What do you suggest?? Burn couches because our coach, who's been labeled a washed up, glory years behind him, took this job to retire, took a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and went to the Sweet 16 and has improved Tennessee every year he's been here? Yeah. I say throw a parade.

Barnes has never been a coach who gets his team deep into the tournament. If you are ok with the occasional getting bounced from the sweet 16 then he’s your guy. Make it to the final four and win a NC once a decade? No, not him.

Reactions: Trent4Pruitt4life
I think we can all agree that despite the lack of tournament success, the program’s last two years have been good and that Barnes has done a great job. Winning 57 games in two years is great for the program.

However, I think there could be some murky waters the next two years with the news of Bone’s departure and (IMO) Grant expected to announce his decision to leave soon. Tennessee is losing four of their top six players...and UT played a 7 man rotation, so not great.

I thought a Bone/Turner/Bowden backcourt with the addition of James would be enough to grab a 7-8-9-10 seed range for next year. With Bone gone, I don’t think we currently have a tournament team.

Now two scholarships will open up. And that means maybe we get a freshman ready to play or a grad transfer. There are options.

But we are going to have to see how well Barnes and staff can develop players. We are going to need Burns, Fulkerson, Pons, and Johnson to get better. Other than Fulky, none of the other 3 have shown they can play steady minutes. And even then Fulky is a 10-15 minute guy at most right now.

The next two years are important. We are going to take a step back. I think missing the tourney in 2020 isn’t a killer but what happens if we miss the tourney and James is one and done? It’s possible. If Tennessee misses the tourney two years in a row? You ruin all the good the previous two years did.

Barnes can develop guys. We can see that. But he’s really going to have to go even further for the next two years. I’m concerned that we may have missed on some of these guys. It’s going to be really interesting to see what Barnes does and if Tennessee can maintain its tournament status.

This is why having several players that need 2-3 years to develop is such a risky proposition. Barnes needs to limit the number of "projects" he takes on. This roster needs an upgrade in talent. I'm almost to the point of thinking he needs to run some of this roster off to free up space for better players.

Has anyone noticed that Bone not Grant is actually gone???
Speculation. Nothing confirmed
When did Bone leave? I thought he declared for the draft and IF he’s selected he would be gone? Still has several weeks to get NBA feedback to see where they expect him to be picked and he could withdraw from the draft if he didn’t like what they told him. Seems a long way from gone at this point.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I think we can all agree that despite the lack of tournament success, the program’s last two years have been good and that Barnes has done a great job. Winning 57 games in two years is great for the program.

However, I think there could be some murky waters the next two years with the news of Bone’s departure and (IMO) Grant expected to announce his decision to leave soon. Tennessee is losing four of their top six players...and UT played a 7 man rotation, so not great.

I thought a Bone/Turner/Bowden backcourt with the addition of James would be enough to grab a 7-8-9-10 seed range for next year. With Bone gone, I don’t think we currently have a tournament team.

Now two scholarships will open up. And that means maybe we get a freshman ready to play or a grad transfer. There are options.

But we are going to have to see how well Barnes and staff can develop players. We are going to need Burns, Fulkerson, Pons, and Johnson to get better. Other than Fulky, none of the other 3 have shown they can play steady minutes. And even then Fulky is a 10-15 minute guy at most right now.

The next two years are important. We are going to take a step back. I think missing the tourney in 2020 isn’t a killer but what happens if we miss the tourney and James is one and done? It’s possible. If Tennessee misses the tourney two years in a row? You ruin all the good the previous two years did.

Barnes can develop guys. We can see that. But he’s really going to have to go even further for the next two years. I’m concerned that we may have missed on some of these guys. It’s going to be really interesting to see what Barnes does and if Tennessee can maintain its tournament status.
Duke will lose 4 of 5 starters and be fine.
UK will lose 4 of 5 starters and be fine.
WE WILL BE FINE!

This is why having several players that need 2-3 years to develop is such a risky proposition. Barnes needs to limit the number of "projects" he takes on. This roster needs an upgrade in talent. I'm almost to the point of thinking he needs to run some of this roster off to free up space for better players.
Two years of poor recruiting is going to come back to bite him if Bone and Williams both depart. Obviously we had no talent on our bench this year outside of Bowden, which cost us a deeper run in the tourney

Two years of poor recruiting is going to come back to bite him if Bone and Williams both depart. Obviously we had no talent on our bench this year outside of Bowden, which cost us a deeper run in the tourney

If Grant leaves we will be in need of someone in the post that can score of a consistent basis. This concerns me more than who we use at point guard.

Reactions: VOLED

Doudt he does that. He has character

What about Poz & Walker

Don't you think we've already seen how well Barnes develops players? We had a team of three stars (who were ranked second to last) go on to tournament and all- American success.

Reactions: OrangenSC
81 posts and you're calling people Sunshine Pumpers. Most of those people who are celebrating this season have been here since the desolation Pearl left in his wake. The only underachievers around here are the new TROLLS we've picked up since Barnes has brought the team back from the dead.

That definitely should be the minority. Fulky is not anywhere near the player Kyle is rn

Maybe from a scoring perspective but he has the tools to rebound just as well as Kyle along with the fact he's a better shot blocker.

He won't do it all, but I am excited about Fulky/Walker committee next year at Center.

I just don't understand all the doom and gloom here.....

VN Store

Back