We are truly going to see how good Barnes is

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I think we can all agree that despite the lack of tournament success, the program’s last two years have been good and that Barnes has done a great job. Winning 57 games in two years is great for the program.

However, I think there could be some murky waters the next two years with the news of Bone’s departure and (IMO) Grant expected to announce his decision to leave soon. Tennessee is losing four of their top six players...and UT played a 7 man rotation, so not great.

I thought a Bone/Turner/Bowden backcourt with the addition of James would be enough to grab a 7-8-9-10 seed range for next year. With Bone gone, I don’t think we currently have a tournament team.

Now two scholarships will open up. And that means maybe we get a freshman ready to play or a grad transfer. There are options.

But we are going to have to see how well Barnes and staff can develop players. We are going to need Burns, Fulkerson, Pons, and Johnson to get better. Other than Fulky, none of the other 3 have shown they can play steady minutes. And even then Fulky is a 10-15 minute guy at most right now.

The next two years are important. We are going to take a step back. I think missing the tourney in 2020 isn’t a killer but what happens if we miss the tourney and James is one and done? It’s possible. If Tennessee misses the tourney two years in a row? You ruin all the good the previous two years did.

Barnes can develop guys. We can see that. But he’s really going to have to go even further for the next two years. I’m concerned that we may have missed on some of these guys. It’s going to be really interesting to see what Barnes does and if Tennessee can maintain its tournament status.

If Williams leaves we will struggle with inside play. More scoring troubles than rebounding or D, IMO. Several will have to come through to get close to the NCAA.

Try and take a minute to enjoy what was accomplished this year before fretting over next year.

#1 in country for a while, full stadium, beat Kentucky x2, beat Memphis and Vandy, SECCG, #2 seed, LOTS of national media attention, consensus All-American to boot, SWAGGER like I've never seen from a UT basketball team, the accolades go one and on. Didn't like the final result, but will never forget the heart. This was a special team.

Josiah James coming in next season and Corey Walker on the way in 2020-21? And just judging from the visits we have had lately and the interest level from more highly touted prospects? The best is yet to come for Tennessee under Rick Barnes... and as for the lack of success in tournaments? That is two SEC Tournament Championship Games and a Sweet 16.

You could be overreacting; I just don't see williams leaving. I could be wrong.

I didn’t see it......... but now...... seems like he could be gone to me.

The team is losing so much. There doesn’t seem to be anyway possible for the team to be even near this years team. If he could go in the first round, why Chance having a not so great year on a not so good team?

I hope he comes back, but with Bone gone to me it looks less likely.

It appears Jordan is ready to move on, start getting paid and be done with school for awhile. It happens. Both are two separate cases. Education/Degrees are a priority to Grant and his family.

Reactions: kxtop
I think we can all agree that despite the lack of tournament success, the program’s last two years have been good and that Barnes has done a great job. Winning 57 games in two years is great for the program.

However, I think there could be some murky waters the next two years with the news of Bone’s departure and (IMO) Grant expected to announce his decision to leave soon. Tennessee is losing four of their top six players...and UT played a 7 man rotation, so not great.

I thought a Bone/Turner/Bowden backcourt with the addition of James would be enough to grab a 7-8-9-10 seed range for next year. With Bone gone, I don’t think we currently have a tournament team.

Now two scholarships will open up. And that means maybe we get a freshman ready to play or a grad transfer. There are options.

But we are going to have to see how well Barnes and staff can develop players. We are going to need Burns, Fulkerson, Pons, and Johnson to get better. Other than Fulky, none of the other 3 have shown they can play steady minutes. And even then Fulky is a 10-15 minute guy at most right now.

The next two years are important. We are going to take a step back. I think missing the tourney in 2020 isn’t a killer but what happens if we miss the tourney and James is one and done? It’s possible. If Tennessee misses the tourney two years in a row? You ruin all the good the previous two years did.

Barnes can develop guys. We can see that. But he’s really going to have to go even further for the next two years. I’m concerned that we may have missed on some of these guys. It’s going to be really interesting to see what Barnes does and if Tennessee can maintain its tournament status.

Biggest complaint the entire year was not developing a bench.

It will be a struggle next year for sure.

I think these last couple of years have shown recruits that Barnes is still legit. He'll keep recruiting at a high level. Guys like Bone getting drafted really helps a lot in the long run.

Yeah well UT was picked to finish next to last in the SEC in 2017-18. Who knew Grant Williams before last season? Schofield was raw. Look at what happened. Now we have Pons, Fulky, JJ, and James coming in. We good. Oh ye of little faith.

If we have Bowden, Turner, and James we should be able to roll out any SEC level players around them and win 20 with a NCAA.

We will be ok. Not Final Four pick good but make the tourney.

We will be ok if Jalen Johnson would ever WAKE UP on the court as he always looks like he just smoked a pound of weed and he's just going through the motions. If Pons can ever figure out an 18-20 jumpshot. If Derrick Walker can learn the plays and figure out how to score on the inside from other than a wide open layup.

Try and take a minute to enjoy what was accomplished this year before fretting over next year.

#1 in country for a while, full stadium, beat Kentucky x2, beat Memphis and Vandy, SECCG, #2 seed, LOTS of national media attention, consensus All-American to boot, SWAGGER like I've never seen from a UT basketball team, the accolades go one and on. Didn't like the final result, but will never forget the heart. This was a special team.
That is absolutely impossible for some on this site. Sometimes I think there are those that can't wait for one season to end so they can worry about the next ten.

We will be ok if Jalen Johnson would ever WAKE UP on the court as he always looks like he just smoked a pound of weed and he's just going through the motions. If Pons can ever figure out an 18-20 jumpshot. If Derrick Walker can learn the plays and figure out how to score on the inside from other than a wide open layup.

I worry more about having someone who can score consistently in the paint if Grant leaves. Without a big that can score it will dry up our three point shooting if the opposition doesn't have to double team in the paint.

VN Store

Back