War in Ukraine

275061240_10102910047064161_8411381141370913184_n.jpg

A few of the Ukrainian families I know have Belarusian and Russian relatives. It is absolutely astonishing the power of propaganda. I hope in 2022 the internet pierces this modern "Iron Curtain" and we see Russia lose the information war.

"“He started to tell me how the things in my country are going,” said Mr. Katsiurin, who converted his restaurants into volunteer centers and is temporarily staying near the western Ukrainian city of Ternopil. “He started to yell at me and told me, ‘Look, everything is going like this. They are Nazis.’”"

"...These relatives have essentially bought into the official Kremlin position: that President Vladimir V. Putin’s army is conducting a limited “special military operation” with the honorable mission of “de-Nazifying” Ukraine. Mr. Putin has referred to the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, a native Russian speaker with a Jewish background, as a “drug-addled Nazi” in his attempts to justify the invasion.

Those narratives are emerging amid a wave of disinformation emanating from the Russian state as the Kremlin moves to clamp down on independent news reporting while shaping the messages most Russians are receiving.
An estimated 11 million people in Russia have Ukrainian relatives. Many Ukrainian citizens are ethnic Russians, and those living in the southern and eastern parts of the country largely speak Russian as their native language."
"...All this, Mr. Katsiurin said, explains why his father told him: “There are Russian soldiers there helping people. They give them warm clothes and food.”"

"“They believe that everything is calm in Kyiv, that no one is shelling Kyiv,” Ms. Kremyr said in a phone interview. She said her siblings think the Russians are striking military infrastructure “with precision, and that’s it.”
She said her sister Lyubov, who lives in Perm, wished her a happy birthday on Feb. 25, the second day of the invasion. When Ms. Kremyr wrote back about the situation on the ground, her sister’s answer via direct message was simple: “No one is bombing Kyiv, and you should actually be afraid of the Nazis, whom your father fought against. Your children will be alive and healthy. We love the Ukrainian people, but you need to think hard about who you elected as president.”"

"“They totally don’t understand what is happening here, they don’t understand that they just attacked us for no reason,” Ms. Belomytseva said. Her grandmother, and Mr. Belomytsev’s father, are in Russia.
Asked whether they believe that an attack is happening, Ms. Belomytseva responded “NO!”

Parts of Kharkiv have been reduced to rubble, and its city hall is a burnt-out shell. Ms. Belomytseva said she was sending videos of the bombings to her relatives on Instagram, but they just responded with the Kremlin’s oft-repeated claims that the invasion is just a “special military operation” and that no civilians would be targeted.

In reality, more than 350 civilians had died as of Saturday night, according to the United Nations. The real toll is probably much higher."

"...“It’s not that they don’t believe it is happening, but they think that the high-level politicians should figure it out,” said Svetlana, who was uncomfortable providing her last name.

“I tell them that we are people too, and this has affected us,” she said. “I asked them not to hide their heads in the sand, I asked the mothers to think about not sending their sons to the army. The response was amazing to me. That is, that politicians are to blame for everything.”"

"...“They are our relatives, they’re the closest people we have, and this is not about them,” he said. “I am not angry at my father — I am angry at the Kremlin. I’m angry about the Russian propaganda. I’m not angry at these people. I understand that I cannot blame them in this situation.”

He said he thought about cutting his father off but decided that was the wrong response. “The easiest thing to do would be to say, ‘OK, now I don’t have a father,’” he said. “But I believe that I need to do this because it is my father.”

He said that if everyone worked to explain the truth to their families, the narrative could change. After a post on Instagram complaining about his father’s disbelief went viral, he launched a website, papapover.com, which means “Papa, believe,” with instructions for Ukrainians about how to speak to their family members about the war.

“There are 11 million Russians who have relatives in Ukraine,” he said. “With 11 million people, everything can happen — from revolution to at least some resistance.”"

(posted by Michael Jaehnig)

He was spot on calling Coronavirus disaster. Hope he's wrong this time.

Bill Ackman says Russia’s attack on Ukraine means World War III has likely already started

Yeah, let's listen to this guy. How much will he make off the war.

Back in early 2020, when less than 7,000 coronavirus cases had been confirmed in the U.S., Ackman — who is CEO of Pershing Square Capital — called for a 30-day national lockdown and warned that “hell is coming” in an interview with CNBC.

Ackman later defended his comments after his fund announced shortly thereafter that it had made more than $2 billion on bets against the markets.

Not really. I offer a service just like any other service based business. Taxes are a line item cost that are passed on the consumer of that service. In my case that service is providing a space for people to live, or conduct business. Like any business, the consumer of the product or service pays all operating cost of that business. I'm having trouble understanding your point. Seems simplistic to me that taxes aren't any different than other operating cost, i.e. insurance.
So the consumer pays your tax bill, right?

Reactions: AM64
I would think a train would be extremely vulnerable in this era of combat but what do I know?

Remove/destroy some track in front and back and that thing is a sitting duck. Presumably, this would be on rail from Russia to Ukraine, so destroying the track wouldn't prevent any refugee departures, which are all going in the opposite direction towards the west.

So the consumer pays your tax bill, right?

In a sense yes, the consumer pays the tax bill, light bill, the fuel for the CEOs yacht and ect. People that fly Delta pay your salary and benefits. The rub is how fast companies can change pricing or costs to offset changes in tax code or other rising expenses.

Reactions: AM64
Remove/destroy some track in front and back and that thing is a sitting duck. Presumably, this would be on rail from Russia to Ukraine, so destroying the track wouldn't prevent any refugee departures, which are all going in the opposite direction towards the west.
Melitopol is in south Ukraine. In the video I posted a few pages back it said they already cut most of the rail lines along the northern border.

A few of the Ukrainian families I know have Belarusian and Russian relatives. It is absolutely astonishing the power of propaganda. I hope in 2022 the internet pierces this modern "Iron Curtain" and we see Russia lose the information war.

"“He started to tell me how the things in my country are going,” said Mr. Katsiurin, who converted his restaurants into volunteer centers and is temporarily staying near the western Ukrainian city of Ternopil. “He started to yell at me and told me, ‘Look, everything is going like this. They are Nazis.’”"

"...These relatives have essentially bought into the official Kremlin position: that President Vladimir V. Putin’s army is conducting a limited “special military operation” with the honorable mission of “de-Nazifying” Ukraine. Mr. Putin has referred to the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, a native Russian speaker with a Jewish background, as a “drug-addled Nazi” in his attempts to justify the invasion.

Those narratives are emerging amid a wave of disinformation emanating from the Russian state as the Kremlin moves to clamp down on independent news reporting while shaping the messages most Russians are receiving.
An estimated 11 million people in Russia have Ukrainian relatives. Many Ukrainian citizens are ethnic Russians, and those living in the southern and eastern parts of the country largely speak Russian as their native language."
"...All this, Mr. Katsiurin said, explains why his father told him: “There are Russian soldiers there helping people. They give them warm clothes and food.”"

"“They believe that everything is calm in Kyiv, that no one is shelling Kyiv,” Ms. Kremyr said in a phone interview. She said her siblings think the Russians are striking military infrastructure “with precision, and that’s it.”
She said her sister Lyubov, who lives in Perm, wished her a happy birthday on Feb. 25, the second day of the invasion. When Ms. Kremyr wrote back about the situation on the ground, her sister’s answer via direct message was simple: “No one is bombing Kyiv, and you should actually be afraid of the Nazis, whom your father fought against. Your children will be alive and healthy. We love the Ukrainian people, but you need to think hard about who you elected as president.”"

"“They totally don’t understand what is happening here, they don’t understand that they just attacked us for no reason,” Ms. Belomytseva said. Her grandmother, and Mr. Belomytsev’s father, are in Russia.
Asked whether they believe that an attack is happening, Ms. Belomytseva responded “NO!”

Parts of Kharkiv have been reduced to rubble, and its city hall is a burnt-out shell. Ms. Belomytseva said she was sending videos of the bombings to her relatives on Instagram, but they just responded with the Kremlin’s oft-repeated claims that the invasion is just a “special military operation” and that no civilians would be targeted.

In reality, more than 350 civilians had died as of Saturday night, according to the United Nations. The real toll is probably much higher."

"...“It’s not that they don’t believe it is happening, but they think that the high-level politicians should figure it out,” said Svetlana, who was uncomfortable providing her last name.

“I tell them that we are people too, and this has affected us,” she said. “I asked them not to hide their heads in the sand, I asked the mothers to think about not sending their sons to the army. The response was amazing to me. That is, that politicians are to blame for everything.”"

"...“They are our relatives, they’re the closest people we have, and this is not about them,” he said. “I am not angry at my father — I am angry at the Kremlin. I’m angry about the Russian propaganda. I’m not angry at these people. I understand that I cannot blame them in this situation.”

He said he thought about cutting his father off but decided that was the wrong response. “The easiest thing to do would be to say, ‘OK, now I don’t have a father,’” he said. “But I believe that I need to do this because it is my father.”

He said that if everyone worked to explain the truth to their families, the narrative could change. After a post on Instagram complaining about his father’s disbelief went viral, he launched a website, papapover.com, which means “Papa, believe,” with instructions for Ukrainians about how to speak to their family members about the war.

“There are 11 million Russians who have relatives in Ukraine,” he said. “With 11 million people, everything can happen — from revolution to at least some resistance.”"

Who would have thought that undermining the western media would result in the western media have less credibility?

They did a wonderful job of undermining themselves.
It was Trump's objective from day one to undermine America's confidence in legitimate news sources.
He wants America to be as gullible and misinformed as Putin wants Russia to be.

Reactions: Septic

This guys family in Russia has obviously been in contact with Ras.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
It was Trump's objective from day one to undermine America's confidence in legitimate news sources.
He wants America to be as gullible and misinformed as Putin wants Russia to be.
Those same news sources who made up and peddled lies during his term? If they were smart they would have just let him self destruct

VN Store

Back