Walz Declines to Comment

Don't be so sure that Walz is not in the works as the new LV coach.

ADs often work with brand consultants and the marketing argument would be that the LVs can be a brand-image bolstering statement program for the University.

On this view, if you are going to invest $1 million for a coach anyway you might as well pay the incremental difference to make a major splash with a big name hire that everyone notices (and assume as a future pay-off that such a high priced coach will bring in championships).

Because of the history, the LVs are one of the few programs that could matter as a brand image resource.

For Walz, Louisville has had a lot of problems and scandals in their AD and winning a championship at the U of L will never generate the kind of buzz and recognition that winning one for the LVs would.

People talk about how tough it is to follow a legend but that is a loser perspective (oh, dear me I won't be able to match up). But think about the issue from the perspective of a winner. "I will be the first coach to win a championship at UT since CPS and return the program to its historical glory. That result would be equivalent to winning the academy award and the lottery on the same day.

Last edited:
An interesting side note to this coaching search is the chance for the Connecticut-Tennessee series to be renewed.

An interesting side note to this coaching search is the chance for the Connecticut-Tennessee series to be renewed.
It already has been. A home and home series was announced with the next meeting scheduled at UConn on January 23, 2020.

Possibly. Aren't Geno and Jeff friends? I could see it happening, and I'm sure Jeff (if he is the new coach) would be more than happy to get a few more wins vs. Geno under his belt with teams that have equal talent for a change.

I'm getting really excited. Don't let me down, Jeff! The Lady Vols are welcoming you with open arms!

Only way i don't believe Walz will be the next Lady Vols coach. I believe he makes over a million a year and is signed through 2022. But since it's not my money i say Fulmer go get him. lol

I’ve been reading where people are saying we won’t pay money for a sport where we are losing money ( revenue) correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Lady Vol basketball on the plus side of revenue. When we were winning of course.

We were specifically told by UT officials that the LV basketball program was in the black and was one of only 3, men’s basketball and football being the others. Basketball total was not that much in the black and football supported all the other teams (heck, I can remember when football put money back into the UT funding). Now that was several years ago, hart was AD is best time frame I can give, and they have been operating at a loss for several years now.

Only way i don't believe Walz will be the next Lady Vols coach. I believe he makes over a million a year and is signed through 2022. But since it's not my money i say Fulmer go get him. lol

Step 1 is done. Now we'll REALLY see how committed Fulmer is to the wbb program...

Reactions: cutiepie5
Take it for what its worth, but just heard on sports talk in chatt. that an mou had been signed with Walz

I was listening to Basilio, today. Take this however you want because I know a lot of people do not like Basilio, and I have no idea were he is getting his info. He said Walz really, really wants this job. He has told people with our program he could make a UConn type run. Basilio, also, said he has children from a previous marriage that live in Charlotte, and moving to Knoxville would make him so much closer to them. He even said their is talk that he would take less money initially (I don't know that I believe that or any of this.)

Just thought I would share those rumors.

Take it for what its worth, but just heard on sports talk in chatt. that an mou had been signed with Walz

How is Chattanooga getting all this breaking information??? Henley's report yesterday is what snowballed all these events today...

There is $710,000 for Holly's buyout...Walz will make 1.5 million from Louisville.....it's going to take 2.5 to 3 million for this to get done because there is a high buyout for Walz. That's a mountain for any program and the women's program loses money as it is ? I don't know about this deal. If it gets done...wow...that's a strain....I would think a young up and comer makes more sense...but I am not an AD, so what do I know !

How is Chattanooga getting all this breaking information??? Henley's report yesterday is what snowballed all these events today...
I don't know they just said a source in utad told them but like I said don't know if it is reliable or not just heard it on radio.

I can't understand why people see Walz as sleazy.

He will have us winning Natty's in 4-5 years is my guess (competing in 1-2). I'm not a homer, generally pessimistic in most things, but anyone opposing Walz as a hire to me is crazy.

Clear #1 option

VN Store

Back