Walz Declines to Comment

Well, that is the only time the University of Tennessee women's basketball head coaching job has been vacant.... so that wouldn't make any sense.

There doesn't need to be a genuine vacancy for the magic of agents to have an effect. Holly has been rumored to be on the "hot seat" in media posts before now. I think it was in that kind of context, obviously not a vacancy (I'm not that confused!). There was a rumor floated that she was in trouble and that he was the solution and Louisville ponied up. Maybe I'm just wrong.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Assistant football coach money. šŸ˜“ Fans underestimate how much cash was generated by Fulmerā€™s shuttering of the stadium renovations. And presently the Lady Vols basketball program is LOSING money. Hiring the right coach reverses that.
Actually less than what they will be paying Jim Chaney the next 3 years. It's certainly feasible... but there are many reasons beyond the finances to remain skeptical that a change is coming.

Didn't I hear that Walz was 1-15 against Geno?

Who isnā€™t? Besides Muffet, the only people I can think of who have beaten him recently are Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey and Tara Vandeveer. A lot of those games were while Jeff was building his program at Louisville. I donā€™t believe it indicates that he canā€™t beat him. There are some fantastic coaches out there who have NEVER beaten him.

And that one win was this season, pretty good timing if you ask me since we just put them back on the schedule. Creates an interesting storyline for next season if the rumors are true.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Actually less than what they will be paying Jim Chaney the next 3 years. It's certainly feasible... but there are many reasons beyond the finances to remain skeptical that a change is coming.
And just as many to be optimistic. We didnā€™t outpay others for assistant coaches previously. Now thatā€™s a matter of course. When Pat Summitt was still in her prime, our skimping ADā€™s still paid out $2 million per. We got it in us.

Iā€™m not convinced Holly is going anywhere. Like others have said it is entirely possible Jeff is angling for something and using the rumors as leverage. Plus he has a goofy personality. He might think itā€™s funny so heā€™s playing along just to keep the pot stirred. Heā€™s no stranger to a little drama.

I felt like those tweets and things were premature and they obviously were wrong about it being announced yesterday. If itā€™s going to happen itā€™ll be after the tournament IMO. If they have someone in mind whoā€™s team is still playing they absolutely canā€™t fire her until after the tournament. Not fair to the other coach, their current team or the other university. It would be a mess. You know if they already picked someone and let her go people will find out who it is quickly. Probably from Holly or the players telling people, word would spread like wildfire.

The NCAA would be pissed if they had a final four team and it was leaked that their coach was leaving. Changes the whole dynamic of the tournament and takes away from what they want people to be focusing on which is the teams still playing.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't necessarily see why he'd want the Tennessee job, other than perhaps for more money. Sure, you can arguably make the case that UT is the best job in the country for women's hoops, but Louisville isn't far behind. He can win a national title there. And he's from that area originally, so he probably has more of an emotional connection to Louisville than UT.

Not saying it can't happen, but just doesn't necessarily seem like a given that he'd be interested.

Not even close. I read where there are rumblings that the recruiting budget at UL is not up to par with other programs, like significantly less and apparently their athletic department is looking to trim budgets instead of increasing them. Pat and UT set the bar HIGH for how elite womenā€™s basketball programs were funded. There are many teams who still cannot even afford to fly so that limits the teams that they can play. Bus rides from the South to California are implausible. Lol.

Someone stated that the recruiting budget was $140,000 which is on the lower side since the coaches packets that contain recruit information at major tournaments are ridiculously expensive....like THOUSANDS of dollars not to mention flights, rental cars, hotel rooms, food...etc. Holly and staff get to travel overseas to see recruits...AMERICAN recruits...play. That should tell you a lot. Not everyone is able....

If Walz is feeling like he has to constantly ā€˜begā€™ for resources in order to remain competitive recruiting-wise, I could see where it could get frustrating dealing with the athletic department. As Iā€™ve stated before, the lure of being able to run a program with FULL SUPPORT will make a lot of heads turn towards Knoxville...

Just sayin...

Not even close. I read where there are rumblings that the recruiting budget at UL is not up to par with other programs, like significantly less and apparently their athletic department is looking to trim budgets instead of increasing them. Pat and UT set the bar HIGH for how elite womenā€™s basketball programs were funded. There are many teams who still cannot even afford to fly so that limits the teams that they can play. Bus rides from the South to California are implausible. Lol.

Someone stated that the recruiting budget was $140,000 which is on the lower side since the coaches packets that contain recruit information at major tournaments are ridiculously expensive....like THOUSANDS of dollars not to mention flights, rental cars, hotel rooms, food...etc. Holly and staff get to travel overseas to see recruits...AMERICAN recruits...play. That should tell you a lot. Not everyone is able....

If Walz is feeling like he has to constantly ā€˜begā€™ for resources in order to remain competitive recruiting-wise, I could see where it could get frustrating dealing with the athletic department. As Iā€™ve stated before, the lure of being able to run a program with FULL SUPPORT will make a lot of heads turn towards Knoxville...

Just sayin...

Nice post, I have heard heā€™s been having some issues with the athletic department there since the AD switch. Still not convinced heā€™ll leave, but if he does it think your reasoning is spot on. It wonā€™t be about his personal paycheck itā€™ll be about available resources.

I do think itā€™s fair to speculate that Holly is gone regardless based solely on the fact that none of the players have announced they are transferring. If she stays we are losing at the very least 2 players. I would imagine they would have announced already if they know sheā€™s going to be coach next season.

Thinking out loud now, but imagine the coaching in the SEC overall the next few season if we land Walz. That will be Staley, Schaefer, Blair, Neighbors, Curry and Walz who have all taken teams to the final four. Plus Matthew Mitchell who has been to the Elite Eight a few times.

Almost unheard of to have that many elite coaches in one conference. Would sure be fun to watch them all beat up on each other. Instead of just watching them hand Holly loss after loss.

She isnā€™t even close to being in that league as a head coach.

Last edited:
That still doesn't mean that Holly Warlick isn't on her way out and that Jeff Walz will be offered the Tennessee women's basketball head coaching job

Agreed, nowhere in their email did it apparently say, ā€œwe have no plans to replace her as coach.ā€ If that was the plan, then no reason to hide the fact that sheā€™s staying. Like I said, no transfers so far tells me sheā€™s gone. No reason for them to wait, based on how the season ended and how obviously frustrated several of them were I think they would have jumped ship already if they knew she would still be coach next season.

Who isnā€™t? Besides Muffet, the only people I can think of who have beaten him recently are Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey and Tara Vandeveer. A lot of those games were while Jeff was building his program at Louisville. I donā€™t believe it indicates that he canā€™t beat him. There are some fantastic coaches out there who have NEVER beaten him.

And that one win was this season, pretty good timing if you ask me since we just put them back on the schedule. Creates an interesting storyline for next season if the rumors are true.
I wasn't commenting on Walz's abilities, just responding to Vol Girl's statement: "3. The chance to bring Tennessee back to prominence and beat UConn," which, even if he does come to UT, seems a bit premature, given his record against them.

But, since you brought it up: he took over a team that was 27-8 and he made it to the finals in year 2. Wasn't much building to be done.

Reactions: VolBall09
I wasn't commenting on Walz's abilities, just responding to Vol Girl's statement: "3. The chance to bring Tennessee back to prominence and beat UConn," which, even if he does come to UT, seems a bit premature, given his record against them.

But, since you brought it up: he took over a team that was 27-8 and he made it to the finals in year 2. Wasn't much building to be done.
Heā€™s shown he can coach talent...which we have. So I think it was an excellent point.

VN Store

Back