Walz Declines to Comment

This thing is getting cheesy. Talk "in the air" about Walz started in late January or early February and he said he had no knowledge. I still have the crow and the nest handy if it turns out to be him. His none-response to the question does raise suspicions though.

I'm worried that "Waltz" is merely a pseudo-name for "Gruden." Vols fans and coaching searches have a really bad track record.

He's right. UT does not have an opening until Holly resigns or is relieved of her duties. Waltz also has an ongoing obligation to his employer and his team in the NCAAWT. His response is intelligent and, really, the only appropriate response he can make, other than to say he isn't interested either because he isn't or because he's dumb and doesn't realize a push from Tennessee could get him a lot more money at Louisville.

Until Holly is relieved of her duties, it's all speculation. I just want a thoughtful solution to a bad head coaching situation.

Maybe it is a done deal and not firing CHW until U of L is done is part of it. Would be a huge distraction to their team.

Reactions: OrangenSC
doesn't realize a push from Tennessee could get him a lot more money at Louisville.

Media have said Walz used that routine last year at Louisville to get a raise and extension. Louisville might well stop buying that shtich from Jeff. The Yum Center bonding is dragging Louisville down financially and they may just say let's take the buyout money. But will our U of T pay those kind of bucks??

I'm more of a football and men's basketball fan than a women's basketball fan, but I'd contribute to the buyout to get rid of HW.
The indelible stain she's left on the legacy of Pat Head Summitt's once magnificent program will not soon be forgotten.

I am suspicious that Mr. Waltz, or an agent, is using Tennessee to play Louisville . I don't believe the report that he personally initiated contact with UT while Holly was employed or while his team still has a title shot. I am also doubtful that our AD would communicate with him without first seeking permission from his employer. Haven't we been here before with him? It seems he was the rumored next coach a few years ago and was given a significant raise by Louisville to retain him.

Louisville is a really great venue for a coach being paid as handsomely as his is and it's just hard to believe he's as "in play" in Knoxville as the rumor mill is suggesting.

I'm skeptical about the viability of a genuine Waltz candidacy for the Lady Vols, even though I think he is a proven coach and would be well qualified based on his record.

I don't necessarily see why he'd want the Tennessee job, other than perhaps for more money. Sure, you can arguably make the case that UT is the best job in the country for women's hoops, but Louisville isn't far behind. He can win a national title there. And he's from that area originally, so he probably has more of an emotional connection to Louisville than UT.

Not saying it can't happen, but just doesn't necessarily seem like a given that he'd be interested.

Reactions: Lurker
That's a high price tag and a whole lot of buyout money there.
Assistant football coach money. 😴 Fans underestimate how much cash was generated by Fulmer’s shuttering of the stadium renovations. And presently the Lady Vols basketball program is LOSING money. Hiring the right coach reverses that.

I am suspicious that Mr. Waltz, or an agent, is using Tennessee to play Louisville . I don't believe the report that he personally initiated contact with UT while Holly was employed or while his team still has a title shot. I am also doubtful that our AD would communicate with him without first seeking permission from his employer. Haven't we been here before with him? It seems he was the rumored next coach a few years ago and was given a significant raise by Louisville to retain him.

Louisville is a really great venue for a coach being paid as handsomely as his is and it's just hard to believe he's as "in play" in Knoxville as the rumor mill is suggesting.

I'm skeptical about the viability of a genuine Waltz candidacy for the Lady Vols, even though I think he is a proven coach and would be well qualified based on his record.
You mean when Holly was promoted by Dave Hart? No... no one else was ever considered. Holly was basically already the head coach anyway in 2011-12.

You mean when Holly was promoted by Dave Hart? No... no one else was ever considered. Holly was basically already the head coach anyway in 2011-12.

No, I think it was since then, but I don't follow things well enough to be sure. It just seems like he or an agent has inserted himself into a Tennessee discussion before and picked up some Louisville cash. He's not alone with this technique. Mike Gundy does come to mind.

You’d think if he has no interest that he would just come out and say he has no interest. People aren’t buying his “they have a coach” line - everyone knows UT is going to make a change. The media aren’t going to stop asking him about it. It’s going to be a distraction for his Louisville team whether he believes it or not. And this team has a legitimate shot to win it all. With all this in mind, there’s only one logical reason why he wouldn’t deny interest in UT - he has interest in UT.

No, I think it was since then, but I don't follow things well enough to be sure. It just seems like he or an agent has inserted himself into a Tennessee discussion before and picked up some Louisville cash. He's not alone with this technique. Mike Gundy does come to mind.
Well, that is the only time the University of Tennessee women's basketball head coaching job has been vacant.... so that wouldn't make any sense.

VN Store

Back