Wait til Butch gets his own players

At this point, we don't have a lot of choice. He will get the time to get his players for sure. The facts are this...No Way we are this bad! This staff is not putting our offense in a position to win. If that doesn't change, we will never succeed with this staff. We have awesome skill players, no matter who or where they are, get hem touches. The OL is not an excuse for the pitiful excuse of a game we played tonight. They played great most of the first half and we still laid an egg on offense.

That's what i'm screaming too. If you recruit great players but can't coach a lick ... then you're ... well you're ... Will Muschamp, right? Is that what we want in 5 years?

They have got to turn the offensive philosophy .. the offensive gameplanning ... around. Otherwise, winning more than 7 any year is a pipe dream. You lose to Georgia, Florida, Bama ... heck, couple of years more, even Kentucky, and every single team you play from the west every single year?

I don't think we are this bad but I think Ole Miss Defense was really that good. They are damn ranked in the top 5 in just about everything. Ole Miss has pretty much shut down everybody this year.

I agree that they are are good football team, but when you come out and do some good things on offense, you should keep doing it until it opens the door for other plays. 1.We went 5 wide, no backs and threw something quick and never did it again. 2.Ran a play action zone read with a pass to a slanting WR once. 3. Threw to our TE the first offensive play we ran and never did it again. 4.Had several passes thrown in 2-3 seconds...that needs to happen every time we pass and that takes care of bad OL play.

I just think the OC out guesses himself way too much and tries to trick the D instead of staying with what works. JMO!

Another top 5 class is good. But FRESHMEN ARE FRESH MEAT to be thrown to the wolves.

That depends on the position. Nick Chubb had a 200 yard game today. Was he thrown to the wolves? This Team just needs experience cause the talent is there.

Exactly, Logic!!

These Pessimists don't won't to hear that. They want quick fixes..

As far as I concerned they can jump on other band wagons. Pessimists and fans are not the same. 2016 will be the year that it is totally on Butch. We shall see how that goes. Until then, the true jury will still be out. But I think we do well next year.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what i'm screaming too. If you recruit great players but can't coach a lick ... then you're ... well you're ... Will Muschamp, right? Is that what we want in 5 years?

They have got to turn the offensive philosophy .. the offensive gameplanning ... around. Otherwise, winning more than 7 any year is a pipe dream. You lose to Georgia, Florida, Bama ... heck, couple of years more, even Kentucky, and every single team you play from the west every single year?

Muschamp will be scooped up quickly as a defensive coordinator after he's gone. After what Texas A&M's defense has been this year...Just my opinion.

Where is the Depth? Everybody except the running backs and some reciever are Dooley recruits!!!

Look at the players on the field. With few exceptions, they are Butch's players and Dooley's best recruits. I won't mention names, but there are only a few of Dooley's recruits that are playing and not helping this team.

You might want to look up that fine Houston Nutt recruiting before you say that

At least Houston Nutt had enough scholarship players to fill a roster to make enough depth. Hugh Freeze just need one good recruiting class to bring Ole Miss to greatness.

I will not judge Butch til he gets his OWN team out here. He has only recruited the freshman that are playing their heart out there. Yes the O line is terrible but remember Dooley recruited this garbage. I think Butch is man for the job but we have to be patient. Yea we are more and likely gonna get run over by Saban but we have to be content with what we have. We have a MUCH easier schedule next year and another top 5 class coming in.

If you have just a little time and patience... you'll find a pretty similar thread about Dooley. A coach MUST win in order to get a chance to play with "his" players.

And while we're at it, these are exactly the kinds of losses and strings of games that hurt recruiting. Kids see that the team isn't improving and ask themselves if they want to be part of it. Can you think of a good reason that a quality offensive player should want to play for this staff right now? The O wasn't great to start the season... but now they're getting worse.

Reactions: 4 people
Bingo. Need some experience. Play calling makes me wonder sometimes. Want to give him the benefit of doubt but damn it's hard.

Was at the game when ya down and can't run the damn ball guess what ya do? You pass and the defense pins their ears back and attack.. It jus sucks, anyways same ol story.

I will not judge Butch til he gets his OWN team out here. He has only recruited the freshman that are playing their heart out there. Yes the O line is terrible but remember Dooley recruited this garbage. I think Butch is man for the job but we have to be patient. Yea we are more and likely gonna get run over by Saban but we have to be content with what we have. We have a MUCH easier schedule next year and another top 5 class coming in.
His own OL recruits are sitting on the bench! The 2 mostly highly rated of them (Blair and Sanders) are among them. That doesn't instill confidence in his OL coach, in terms of both recruiting and developing them.

So that'll be next year? Year 3 should be pretty much your own guys. If Butch doesn't have a QB and a line ready by year three, it's on him

I get the frustration. I'm frustrated. VolNation is frustrated. However, whether you want to admit it or not, this is really Butch's first year rebuilding. He got dealt a s@@@ deck by having to coach Dooley's senior class. Most coaches don't come into a situation where both lines are all seniors. Normally whoever recruited those seniors would be coaching. So, Butch didn't have a chance to play tons of freshman last year, mainly because there wasn't many he could play. The ones he did recruit and play are now becoming huge players for us. Look how well Cam, JRM, and Veeren are playing. North has tons of potiental. The big problem is, we haven't, and still can't, recruit elite OL. Until Butch and this staff proves this statement wrong, expect to see much of the same product on offense for a few years.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so far - this thread has not caught as much fire as I would have thought....what's up with that?

Year three will have this same OL, same OC, and Peterman or Dobbs. I really want to be optimistic, but I don't see how you realistically can be. I hope Butch wakes up and starts tweaking the offense, but there's been no evidence of that happening.

Mississippi would have been a bridge too far this year regardless, that still doesn't change the fact that this was another horrific play calling exhibition.

You can say that because this team has so many freshman playing this is "his" team. But how if it fair to judge his team when other teams have 4th and 5th year guys in their starting lineups? Let's fire Butch now, just like Mississippi State fired Dan Mullen last year, we need to go ahead and start over...

... oh wait

it will take 2-3 more years to clean up from the dooley disaster--he was a worse hire than even muschamp at fla

You can say that because this team has so many freshman playing this is "his" team. But how if it fair to judge his team when other teams have 4th and 5th year guys in their starting lineups? Let's fire Butch now, just like Mississippi State fired Dan Mullen last year, we need to go ahead and start over...

... oh wait

Dan Mullen was 9-4 in year two. Very few people are calling for CBJ to be fired, but unfortunately there are major issues with the offense that go much deeper than youth (we weren't that young last year on O).

Those of you who are acting like this is Dooley 2.0, you are absurd. Look at recruiting, and the relationships with HS coaches and former players. Everyone loves this guys and people who know football knew this was going to be a tough year.

Me personally, I think this team is a quarterback away from success. Not a shot at Woorley, I just don't think he can cut it in this fast tempo. I find myself constantly counting down and yelling "throw the ball" at the TV only to see him hold it too long and take a sack, fumble, or try to scramble and end up throwing a pick. Improvement along the eO-Line will help whoever the next QB is.

I was dis-appointed in the play selection tonight, it just seemed like anytime UT did something that worked, they went away from it. Football is such a momentum-driven game it just seems like these guys make a few good plays but cannot build on it.

Year three will have this same OL, same OC, and Peterman or Dobbs. I really want to be optimistic, but I don't see how you realistically can be. I hope Butch wakes up and starts tweaking the offense, but there's been no evidence of that happening.

Mississippi would have been a bridge too far this year regardless, that still doesn't change the fact that this was another horrific play calling exhibition.

If we still have all those options...we will still suck! The OL will be better by then. The rest, I'm not so sure.

23 True FR are playing plus North who he recruited, Pearson, Dobbs, and many others. But he has his players here no doubt.

... oh wait

Dan Mullen won 9 games his 2nd year. I'm sure he walked into a better situation too? Ironically every coach who walked in and won in yr 1 or 2 somehow had a better situation handed to them than Butch did, despite things being bad enough that administrations felt it necessary to fire the previous regimes. The drunken koolaid excuses are becoming ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back