'20 WA OLB Sav'ell Smalls

How does anyone put faith in recruiting services, or star ratings, when a player is either elevated or demoted after they announce their commitment to certain schools?

The tooth fairy has more credibility than any of the recruiting sites. And he actually puts money in your pocket instead of taking it out.

Going to show my age here, but who ranked recruiting classes then? ESPN? The AP? I know the current 247 / Rivals thing is only about a decade old.
Max Emfinger among others. You’d get a preseason mag and see who you had coming in that USA Today and local papers didn’t spotlight.

So something said on an internet message board is supposed to hold weight to an adult?
I think if it is strongly negative towards their child, then yes, it will. I am not saying it should, but if your kid was being bashed by some random "fan," I would think it would be at least worth taking note.

How does anyone put faith in recruiting services, or star ratings, when a player is either elevated or demoted after they announce their commitment to certain schools?

The tooth fairy has more credibility than any of the recruiting sites. And he actually puts money in your pocket instead of taking it out.
To be fair certain schools have a history of recruiting and developing talent others have a history of wasting it. I get your point though, if that’s the case in all of these why even have recruiting services. Just rate players by committable offers from top teams

Going to show my age here, but who ranked recruiting classes then? ESPN? The AP? I know the current 247 / Rivals thing is only about a decade old.
Rivals has been around longer than that. In the 90's it used to be called Border Wars. It had stars and everything. I remember checking it to see if we were going to get Jamal Lewis.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
My memory is getting foggier, but I think Fulmer’s best class was in ‘94 with Brandon Stewart and Peyton Manning. Ranked #2. Back then skill players really skewed the rankings, especially running backs.
i think as far as total studs recruited the Brandon Jeffries calss was bar none Fulmers best class. I will see if i can find all of the recruits for it

To be fair certain schools have a history of recruiting and developing talent others have a history of wasting it. I get your point though, if that’s the case in all of these why even have recruiting services. Just rate players by committable offers from top teams
They’ll never admit it but that’s what they do. They do host and attend a lot of camps... so I’m sure they form an influential opinion, but they also hear who is being recruited the most during those camps. Nothing against the recruiting analyst but there’s probably a reason why you don’t see any analysts becoming coaches or collegiate talent evaluators and visa versa.

Before that was National Recruiting Adviser and Forrest Davis Recruiting magazine.
Forrest Davis is the one with the famous quote about Peyton Manning after Peyton committed to TN. "He's good, but he's no Freddie Kitchings". Forrest Davis kinda went downhill in the recruiting business after that statement.

Forrest Davis is the one with the famous quote about Peyton Manning after Peyton committed to TN. "He's good, but he's no Freddie Kitchings". Forrest Davis kinda went downhill in the recruiting business after that statement.
Forrest Davis was a worse Bama homer than even Rivals and 24/7 are now.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Florida State and Tennessee are two that look to be in great position for the No. 1 outside linebacker in the land Sav'ell Smalls from Burien (Wash.) Kennedy Catholic and when all said and done I’d lean towards the Vols if that’s how it shakes out. But this recruitment has seen several programs hold momentum including Alabama last summer and Washington this past spring. Oregon has had Smalls on campus several times as well.

Are we not in the same position? Better pray that Chaney works his magic this year.
Not quite because we recruited well to the OL and have a great OL coach.

The FSU board was entertaining around NSD. Kept seeing UT threads (since we were both going after Briles) and they were lamenting the fact that Pruitt (who they're quite familiar with ofc and owe a huge debt of gratitude to) went out and got 2 5* bookends to remedy our problem and they couldn't recruit a dang midget to come play on their OL lmfao.

too early for that prediction......he's going to be paying attention to what happens on the field at both places.

True but if HT gets serviceable playing time which by all accounts it looks like he will, that had to be promising to Smalls considering we lose some LBs.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
True but if HT gets serviceable playing time which by all accounts it looks like he will, that had to be promising to Smalls considering we lose some LBs.
i dont think playing time will be an issue at FSU or TN.

it's no secret we have a big need for pass rushers or inside guys that can disrupt up front..

i think since we can take a full class this year, you can realistically (in theory anyway) take Hardy, Baron, Thomas, Smalls, Sewell, Whitehead and Eason in this class. then you fill it out with Gilbert, Jarrett and..........pick a guy, if it worked out this way, i probably wouldn't care who the last one is. lol.

point being, i don't think we're going to turn away anyone in the front 7 away, especially tackles that can disrupt up front, and outside guys that can play end or OLB....we need all of them.

i know i'm not sharing anything brand new here.... :)

man, that'd be a freaking awesome class. i can't for the life of me figure out why they haven't all jumped on board with it yet.

VN Store

Back