Vrabel mentions Dobbs when asked about potential QB

Titans need a backup QB. I'm guessing they'll try and renegotiate Tannehill, if they can't they probably need to send him on his way but if they do keep him, you know he's going to miss some games so that's where Dobbs can step in after having a full camp. Unless did like Hurts and hired someone to work with him this off season he probably needs to be cut or sent down to the practice squad.

Titans need a backup QB. I'm guessing they'll try and renegotiate Tannehill, if they can't they probably need to send him on his way but if they do keep him, you know he's going to miss some games so that's where Dobbs can step in after having a full camp. Unless did like Hurts and hired someone to work with him this off season he probably needs to be cut or sent down to the practice squad.
They have one. Dobbs.

Go back and read my post. But here I will make it again trade Tannehill draft a offensive lineman first and then they need A WR1 then Hooker and fill in more needs.
I've read it. " Draft Hooker and trade Tannehill and get some linemen and wide outs. "
The problem with that scenario, the owners promise these guys they will " spend the money" to upgrade the oline. Then it rarely happens.
See Joe Burrow at Cincinnati for example, never happened. he's running for his life.
Hook as a rookie coming off ACL surgery needs to be behind a solid veteran line.

I've read it. " Draft Hooker and trade Tannehill and get some linemen and wide outs. "
The problem with that scenario, the owners promise these guys they will " spend the money" to upgrade the oline. Then it rarely happens.
See Joe Burrow at Cincinnati for example, never happened. he's running for his life.
Hook as a rookie coming off ACL surgery needs to be behind a solid veteran line.
They are done with Tannehill . You play Dobbs and get some lineman and a WR1 and Hooker can sit.

Reactions: Toucan Sam
I’d argue the opposite. You mentioned Joe Burrows and he hasn’t had a decent o line since he came into the league. I will give him some credit that they finally had an o line last year where he wasn’t running every play but still it’s not a solid line. A great quarterback hides a lot of issues with your o line. If you have just a good quarterback, and he can’t overcome the old lines deficiencies, then it’s an issue. But Cincinnati is winning with great receivers. Great quarterback, play and just mediocre o line play.

Last edited:
I’m not. Potential is huge. But sometimes for whatever reason, it doesn’t work out.

I think after his showing last year, most aren't seeing the potential anymore. He looked completely lost out there; like not just rookie lost, like he didn't have things you can't teach.

I’d argue the opposite. You mentioned Joe Burrows and he hasn’t had a decent outline since he came into the league. I will give him some credit that they finally had an o line last year where he wasn’t running every play but still it’s not a solid line. A great quarterback hides a lot of issues with your o line. If you have just a good quarterback, and he can’t overcome the old lines deficiencies, then it’s an issue. But Cincinnati is winning with great receivers. Great quarterback, play and just mediocre o line play.

If the Bengals would pony up and get Joe a great line he would finally bring a SB trophy to Cincinnati. He may do it anyway, he's that good. Or he maybe looking at knee surgery again.

I think after his showing last year, most aren't seeing the potential anymore. He looked completely lost out there; like not just rookie lost, like he didn't have things you can't teach.
Correct. I’m talking potential from University to NFL. That’s why people get drafted. Another example- Anthony Richardson. Looked great some time and looked average at best others but he is projected to be a first rounder off his potential alone!!!

If the Bengals would pony up and get Joe a great line he would finally bring a SB trophy to Cincinnati. He may do it anyway, he's that good. Or he maybe looking at knee surgery again.
Agreed. Great QB play can hide a lot. Mediocre QB play, gets the scrutiny of the entire team from the media.

Look up the phrase 'getting fed to the wolves' and you will find a picture of JD playing for the Titans last season.

I hope he gets a shot, and I really hope he pulls it off.
I saw that game as them giving him a shot. Its not like the was some 1st round rookie getting thrown out there to tank. They had legit injuries, he is a vet and they gave him his shot. They wanted to win those games and possibly make the playoffs. He acquitted himself well given the circumstance. There is a reason they signed a mobile guy. If they just wanted to give up they would have started Willis. Instead, they created a win-win situation. Instead of throwing WIllis out to the wolves which it definitely would have been they gave Doobs his audition. It is different because if you've been in the league as long as Dobbs there is no such thing as thrown to the wolves.. he knows what to expect.

I saw that game as them giving him a shot. Its not like the was some 1st round rookie getting thrown out there to tank. They had legit injuries, he is a vet and they gave him his shot. They wanted to win those games and possibly make the playoffs. He acquitted himself well given the circumstance. There is a reason they signed a mobile guy. If they just wanted to give up they would have started Willis. Instead, they created a win-win situation. Instead of throwing WIllis out to the wolves which it definitely would have been they gave Doobs his audition. It is different because if you've been in the league as long as Dobbs there is no such thing as thrown to the wolves.. he knows what to expect.
But if Dobbs would have started for the 49ers it would have been alot different than what he had with the Titans.

But if Dobbs would have started for the 49ers it would have been alot different than what he had with the Titans.
but he didn't because he played for the TItans not the Niners.. reality and imagination land are just that. Everything is about perspective and context. If you're a rookie QB or a franchise QB playing with bad WR's and Oline you're being thrown to the dogs.... if you're a journeyman that's never had an NFL start its an OPPORTUNITY. Putting a rookie out there for the Niners is also throwing them to the dogs.. and you see how that turned out? Injury list central. Just because Mr. Irrelevant held the dogs off for a bit does not mean he wasn't thrown to them.

but he didn't because he played for the TItans not the Niners.. reality and imagination land are just that. Everything is about perspective and context. If you're a rookie QB or a franchise QB playing with bad WR's and Oline you're being thrown to the dogs.... if you're a journeyman that's never had an NFL start its an OPPORTUNITY. Putting a rookie out there for the Niners is also throwing them to the dogs.. and you see how that turned out? Injury list central. Just because Mr. Irrelevant held the dogs off for a bit does not mean he wasn't thrown to them.
I am just saying Dobbs would have looked good with that team and the number 1 defense. I would have liked to seen him back with JJ and the rest of the talent on that offense. If the Titans could gets some key players they could look like that also.

Reactions: Toucan Sam
I am just saying Dobbs would have looked good with that team and the number 1 defense. I would have liked to seen him back with JJ and the rest of the talent on that offense. If the Titans could gets some key players they could look like that also.
Whats the defense have to do with how a QB looks? They can help create shorter fields and more possessions but I mean either way the QB has to do what he does with the offense. No matter how bad a defense is, a good QB will look good. See Dan Marino, 2022 Hendon Hooker, Early Colts teams. No matter how good your defense is if you're not a good QB you might win games but you won't look good. See Joe Flacco, whoever Iowas QB was last year any Bama QB between 2001-2015.

I don't know enough about the NFL to say whether or not he is starter material, but Dobbs can clearly play in the NFL. With an absolutely terrible offensive line he was able to throw for more yards than that rookie in all three of his starts combined. Dobbs can clearly keep up. Again, maybe he is not a super star starter, but I would feel pretty confident if he was on my team. Dudes a gamer and plays to win. He is smart enough to manage an offensive and has the potential to make plays. Any team should want that.

Kind of sucks he has never had the opportunity to play with a great coach or in a more ideal situation, but I am glad he finally got to prove he belongs in the league.

Yeah, I really hate this. Because of the Browns foolish financial commitment to Watson (do you feel me?), Dobbs wont play at all unless Watson is injured. That is certainly possible, but who knows. I suspect JD waited around for someone to offer him anything close to 2 mill that had a reasonable pathway to see some starts with a decent organization......and this was his best option. I'm sure he thought out the best choice and made it. But I really don't care for the Browns from top to bottom.

Josh Dobbs is a great person and VFL, but he is what he is.
He made his name running for his life in Butch's offense and the hope and a prayer toss to JJ.
How many teams have to tag him as the back up before reality sets in for some fans.

Reactions: pimo1
He made his name running for his life in Butch's offense and the hope and a prayer toss to JJ.
How many teams have to tag him as the back up before reality sets in for some fans.
Idk man, despite never being a great practice player he’s always been a gamer. I think he could be on the same level talent-wise as guys like Jacoby Brissett/Baker Mayfield/Jameis Winston. Considering he was only with the team for 2 weeks prior to his first start last season I thought he looked good for the titans.

When teams stop trotting out QBs like Nathan Peterman, David Blough, Trace McSorley, Kyle Allen, Skylar Johnson, Mitch Trubisky, and several other garbage QBs who started in 2022, then UT fans will stop being hopeful for a guy who's never been given a proper chance to start. As it currently stands, Dobbs is probably one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL. That's reality.

I hate JD went back to Cleveland but hate it more Titans didn’t see the value he brought. I used to watch NFL alot & I’ve seen guys play QB that literally “$h!t the bed” in games. Dobbs gave the Titans good play and with what he had on the field (terrible OL & WRs) he did about as well as anyone could. Not having JD earlier in the season was why the Titans weren’t in the playoffs. JD could have beat Houston at least once.

If the Titans are putting their backup plans in Hendon, that’s really stupid. HH, for all his credits, is coming off major injury & doesn’t have any NFL experience. It’s doesn’t appear he’ll be able to play much in preseason games either, although those aren’t real NFL experience. He’ll be better than Willis, but probably not ready to win games in the NFL if needed.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
If the Titans keep Tannehill. He'll probably wind up hurt and then you're looking at Willis to start. Unless the people he worked with in the off season worked some miracles then he's not the guy.
Read on some Titans reddit, they're glad Dobbs is gone so the Vols fans will leave the reddit. I'm like Titans want Nashville to build them that new nice stadium. At least they could sell some tickets that they probably wouldn't have if Dobbs got some PT if Tannehill got hurt and help sell the idea of a new stadium. I went to a Titans game last year and Vols game last year. Titans game you're better off watching at home or sports bar. Talk about low energy. Vols game.. my ears started hurting and I lost my voice a little that night.

If the Titans are putting their backup plans in Hendon, that’s really stupid. HH, for all his credits, is coming off major injury & doesn’t have any NFL experience. It’s doesn’t appear he’ll be able to play much in preseason games either, although those aren’t real NFL experience. He’ll be better than Willis, but probably not ready to win games in the NFL if needed.
Titans being Titans, they'll probably extend Tannehill and keep playing Titan football.
I'm not sure the Titans are going to try and take Hooker. I don't think they will.
Problem is Tannehill play play just good enough to get you in the 1st round P/O/Wildcard and then you're not picking high enough to grab the top QB prospect
Heck who knows that they Titans will do

VN Store

Back