Von Pearson Update

Btw, I have a daughter at UT, just took her last exam this morning, packed up her stuff from her sorority house and is headed home as I write this. If something like what this girl is accusing Von of legitimately happened to my daughter, I would move heaven and earth to protect her and get the perp put away forever. I also have a 17 year old son, and I pray to GOD that if he's ever accused of something like this that he is given the presumption of innocence, not ostracized and thrown off of campus and is given the right to face his accuser in a court of law and defend himself....not be made to take a freaking online course because he might otherwise run into the accuser walking to class.

Well said.

Reactions: 2 people
Calling BS on that; I'd say about 39K

I know it's not sonic but GMs at Cracker Barrel make over a 100k (that's with bonuses included. GM pay is very good at most places but the hours and turnover rates are high.

Back to the topic. If she does press charges, and he wants to plead not guilty, could we redshirt him (if he can) and wait until the case is heard?

I have looked into this in some depth.

That 8% figure comes from 1996, or thereabouts.

Here is an interesting article that is from Bloomburg and another from Slate, both from 2014 that discusses the issue in a pretty fair handed way.

How Many Rape Reports Are False? - Bloomberg View

False rape accusations: Why must we pretend they never happen?

Like any good research, or thoughtful inquiry into a topic, you literally won't get a good answer from "like thirty 30 seconds of research."

That is even if there is a good answer to begin with.

You horrendously missed the point of that comment. The point was that in only 30 seconds of research, I could debunk the garbage he spewed about something like 90% of rape cases were not credible claims

Calling BS on that; I'd say about 39K

You are not very smart. I'll be your huckleberry...bet me $100 and I will show you one of my managers W2 that made $104k+ last year and another one over $90k in Cool Springs and another one in Brentwood over $85k. Sonics close down for a reason and it's not because of our franchise pay scale. It's because corporate and other franchisees :cool2:pay that lazy dummy $39k guy that would rather get drunk and take cigarette breaks every 30 minutes.

Reactions: 2 people
You are not very smart. I'll be your huckleberry...bet me $100 and I will show you one of my managers W2 that made $104k+ last year and another one over $90k in Cool Springs and another one in Brentwood over $85k. Sonics close down for a reason and it's not because of our franchise pay scale. It's because corporate and other franchisees :cool2:pay that lazy dummy $39k guy that would rather get drunk and take cigarette breaks every 30 minutes.

:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
You horrendously missed the point of that comment. The point was that in only 30 seconds of research, I could debunk the garbage he spewed about something like 90% of rape cases were not credible claims

You didn't debunk jack. My point was that when a police report is filed (meaning that the accuser is not just responding to a survey or performing some political stunt or something, but is actually seriously alleging that a rape occurred)... in over 90% of those cases, it all goes away once the police conduct an investigation.

In other words, you can cite whatever stats you want about the rate of "false accusations" as calculated based on survey responses (and only counting instances as "false accusations" if the accused was actually on surveillance video eating a Big Mac at the time of the alleged incident or whatever)... but you can't get around the FACT that the overwhelming majority of reported rape accusations don't survive any kind of legitimate investigation.

You didn't debunk jack. My point was that when a police report is filed (meaning that the accuser is not just responding to a survey or performing some political stunt or something, but is actually seriously alleging that a rape occurred)... in over 90% of those cases, it all goes away once the police conduct an investigation.

In other words, you can cite whatever stats you want about the rate of "false accusations" as calculated based on survey responses (and only counting instances as "false accusations" if the accused was actually on surveillance video eating a Big Mac at the time of the alleged incident or whatever)... but you can't get around the FACT that the overwhelming majority of reported rape accusations don't survive any kind of legitimate investigation.

Your logic is flawed. I get what you are trying to say, but just because it doesn't go to trial or charges are dropped or doesn't survive a legitimate investigation does not automatically make it a false accusation. That is your assumption and There in lies your flawed logic.

Reactions: 7 people
Your logic is flawed. I get what you are trying to say, but just because it doesn't go to trial or charges are dropped or doesn't survive a legitimate investigation does not automatically make it a false accusation. That is your assumption and There in lies your flawed logic.

That is not my assumption any more than it is your assumption that a rape actually occurred. I have not said that none of those cases involve actual rapes. But the numbers are staggering. The only basis for the supposed low "false accusation" rate is unreliable data combined with a very high bar to clear in order to be considered a "false accusation."

Think about it--how many accusations that you personally have heard of/followed in the news turned out to be demonstrably true? How many turned out to demonstrably false? Undoubtedly a lot of them probably turned out to be neither (based on the information made public), but I'd wager more turned out to be demonstrably false than demonstrably true.

You're going to show your employee's W2's to somebody you don't even know to win a bet. You must be a great boss.

Reactions: 10 people
I think Butch needs to hand out consent forms to players, have the girls sign them before anything occurs, this is getting ridiculous!!!

That is not my assumption any more than it is your assumption that a rape actually occurred. I have not said that none of those cases involve actual rapes. But the numbers are staggering. The only basis for the supposed low "false accusation" rate is unreliable data combined with a very high bar to clear in order to be considered a "false accusation."

Think about it--how many accusations that you personally have heard of/followed in the news turned out to be demonstrably true? How many turned out to demonstrably false? Undoubtedly a lot of them probably turned out to be neither (based on the information made public), but I'd wager more turned out to be demonstrably false than demonstrably true.

Dude....enough.

Reactions: 3 people
Depending on how you define it, I can see you making a distinction. But I'd certainly include farmer, oil rig worker, and bar tender among "low end" jobs, either way. And yet, turns out one can make over $100K/year in any of those. Was news to me, too, when I googled it.

I own a small locksmith business here in SC and cleared around 75k after taxes in 2014. My father has owned a locksmith business since 2002 and has made as high as 500k in a year. Typically though, he's around 150k. Not bad for being self employed!

Reactions: 1 person
I own a small locksmith business here in SC and cleared around 75k after taxes in 2014. My father has owned a locksmith business since 2002 and has made as high as 500k in a year. Typically though, he's around 150k. Not bad for being self employed!

Not bad indeed!

I bet the best plumbers and home appliance repairmen who are self-employed can get up in the $100K range too, come to think of it.

Not bad indeed!

I bet the best plumbers and home appliance repairmen who are self-employed can get up in the $100K range too, come to think of it.

Oh for sure. I'll give you a weekly breakdown on my situation...

You're on call 7 days a week. Sounds likes it sucks, but you can pick and choose which work you want.

Most days I do from $150-$400. Very rarely do I go under $100 or over $500 in a day, but it does happen. Average day is around $250.

$250 x 7 = $1,750
$1,750 x 52 = $91k

After taxes/write offs/etc...around 70k. And honestly, it never even feels like I go to work.

I was shocked when my father told me he was going to leave his 120k salary job and start a locksmith business back when I was in high school. Boy am I glad he did that haha!

Some other professions that make similar numbers that you might not realize..

Tattoo artists
Hair stylists
Bar tenders
Plumbers
HVAC technicians
Landscapers

The only one of those I've done before that I'd never do again is probably bar tending. Terrible hours and basically no family life.

Depending on how you define it, I can see you making a distinction. But I'd certainly include farmer, oil rig worker, and bar tender among "low end" jobs, either way. And yet, turns out one can make over $100K/year in any of those. Was news to me, too, when I googled it.

Then what would you call a "high end" job... I hope it isn't based on some assumption about intelligence, education, sophistication, etc?

Living in mid-MO, I have many friends who run family farm businesses. Of those who do it full time (many run small herds of beef cattle while working somewhere), a 2000 acre row crop farm would be on the low end of average. At current rates, the land alone is an asset worth around $6 million. The equipment and facilities would go another $2-4 million plus even if they use a lot of old equipment. So a typical "small" farm could easily have assets of $10 million or more. At last year's avg yield in feed corn, revenues would have exceeded $1 million with operating costs of about $800K.

The neat little trick for them though is that pretty much any and everything they do will be written off as a business expense- vehicles, utilities, fuel, homes, internet,... most everything. They run complex and profitable businesses... and possess skills and intelligence comparable to many you would probably consider "high end" professionals. The entry barrier is the cost of land. People who own or can lease land at low costs... can make a lot of money.

Then what would you call a "high end" job... I hope it isn't based on some assumption about intelligence, education, sophistication, etc?

Again, it all comes down to semantics, doesn't it? And so unless we work for a dictionary editor, it's not really worth pole vaulting over.

But low-end, high-end, blue-collar, white-collar, and terms like that always tend to come down to questions of income, education, manual vs skilled vs intellectual labor, etc.

I wouldn't spend too much time arguing over nuances, that's for sure.

Still, it's amazing what jobs you can make $100k or more a year doing, if you're willing to work hard and (in many cases) take the risk of being self-employed.

VN Store

Back