Vols finish 7-5–how do you grade Huepel’s first season?

A-. Overall, I think we won the games we expected to win (assuming we handle South Alabama and Vandy,) lost the games we expected to lose, and took a win on the road against a ranked opponent. I would’ve liked to win either Pitt or OM, but our defense is thinner than a freshman girl during sorority rush. Take a bowl game win into 2022 and let’s ride.

Lol. Haven't heard that one. Well done.

There's few coaches out there that could have done the job that Cub has done this season. 90% would be too afraid to have taken the job, because of the mess we have been doing through for years. The took the bull by the horns and never let go. Guys have bought in and finally believe they can beat anyone.

A-

I don't question his play calling or how he manages a game. It has been solid.

Only issue is starting Milton game 1. And I don't buy any of the BS about Milton looking good in practice.

A-, and if we win the bowl game an A+. A win in the Ole Miss game would have been great, but considering what he walked into here, Heupel has done a miraculous job. More than anything, making football fun here for the first time in ages, and changing the culture as quickly as he did, making this a place where top recruits are going to want to play over the next couple of years.

I give it a B+ all things considered (71 scholarship players, new system on both sides of the ball, extended injuries to Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, etc..).

Season could’ve been an A with win over Pitt or Ole Miss and an A+ beating both. Only other close game so far was UK and it would’ve subtracted 1/2 a grade with loss instead of win.

What’s your grade?
A damn miracle!!!!!

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
I give it a B+ all things considered (71 scholarship players, new system on both sides of the ball, extended injuries to Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, etc..).

Season could’ve been an A with win over Pitt or Ole Miss and an A+ beating both. Only other close game so far was UK and it would’ve subtracted 1/2 a grade with loss instead of win.

What’s your grade?
I'll give him an A. He should win CotY for sure. Having played Hooker since day 1 would have put him up to an A+. Hes been competing every game also. Bad officiating has played a big part in key losses to Pitt and Ole Piss.
I do hate our 3rd down Zone Defense.

Can't wait for next year. Recruits and transfers should be lining up.

Reactions: BigSteve09
I give him an "A",
the Lines on both sides are thin, and with some injuries, they played better than I thought. I think the LB's are too slow need more speed at least as fast as opposing QB's their runs on 3rd and long kept us on the field too long all year. You can't spy the QB if they're faster than you. Really missed Juwan Mitchell hope he comes back, I know he's a Senior but should redshirt.

Reactions: BigSteve09
I think a B+ is fair grading just on wins & losses. But when you add in the culture change, the renewed sense of excitement in the fan base, the player development, the attitude switch & national media coverage, and interest of recruits it’s a solid A.

We didn’t just beat the teams we were supposed to, we blew them out. A sold out game & overthrown pass from knocking off a Top 10 team? Who’d of called that when CJH was announced as Head Coach? How a win over a top 20 team? How about being within one score of Bama in the fourth?

Smart is almost certainly COY given Georgia’s ranking, but Heupel is worthy of some consideration too.

Last edited:
I give him an A, he’s won every game he was supposed to. Pitt is a solid team and should win the ACC. Next year he takes the next step and beats Florida and the following we’re in the running for the East title. Us getting Bama every hear makes this rise to the top of the East waaaay more difficult than what the Dogs have to do.

B.

I am dinging him for lagging in recruiting and the not finishing within 20 points of FL, GA, or AL.

If they could have finished off and won against Pitt and Ole Miss I would give him an A.

you lost me at “lagging in recruiting”. I guess with NCAA investigation, going 3-7, and being hired late in the cycle didn’t play into anything.

According to you I guess not. In my opinion it says a lot.
I think he’s done a good job. Saying it’s the best coaching at UT in a long time means nothing though. UT’s coaching has been atrocious for the better part of two decades.

B. Should have closed out Pitt and Ole Miss. also some questionable play calling. Overall very solid job with what he had to work with and the team is motivated and playing hard.

VN Store

Back