Vols finish 7-5–how do you grade Huepel’s first season?

A, with all the transfers and low number of scholorship players on the team, depth was and is a major issue.
very pleased with first year, the Team played hard at all time and never gave up. Like to have Pitt game back, we were the better team.
GBO

Reactions: TeachCoachVols
Team results have been better than I expected. I am not at all certain about the d coordinator Banks. He has had a talent deficit to deal with for sure, the fast paced offense has left him with a very tired group on many occasions. I'm just not sure his scheme will be SEC ready even with added talent. Josh's eye for talent is suspect. Milton's starts when Hendon was there.... I still don't know if Josh would have tried Hendon if Milton had not been hurt. The next two years recruiting will tell the tale.

Agreed on the recruiting aspect. I think the defensive staff has done a nice job considering the lack of talent and the lack of depth on that side of the football. The Defensive Line play has really covered up some weaknesses in the back end. Theo Jackson has had a great season as well. With regards to Milton and Hooker, I would be very curious to see how they scrimmaged in the pre-season. Were they relatively even in the pre-season and the staff decided to go with the guy who would be here longer? Whatever the case might be, they got it right when it mattered, no matter how they got there.

A+, the staff used chewing gum and bailing wire to create a competitive SEC team. Tough to overcome a few bad calls when the team is maxing out their abilities. Plus, they never quit which is directly attributable to the coaching staff.

Agreed on the recruiting aspect. I think the defensive staff has done a nice job considering the lack of talent and the lack of depth on that side of the football. The Defensive Line play has really covered up some weaknesses in the back end. Theo Jackson has had a great season as well. With regards to Milton and Hooker, I would be very curious to see how they scrimmaged in the pre-season. Were they relatively even in the pre-season and the staff decided to go with the guy who would be here longer? Whatever the case might be, they got it right when it mattered, no matter how they got there.
They did get it right.

Reactions: TeachCoachVols
I give it a B+ all things considered (71 scholarship players, new system on both sides of the ball, extended injuries to Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, etc..).

Season could’ve been an A with win over Pitt or Ole Miss and an A+ beating both. Only other close game so far was UK and it would’ve subtracted 1/2 a grade with loss instead of win.

What’s your grade?
It was an exceptionally great first season. After all we lost through the portal. After all the recruits that went elsewhere. They played determined, they expected to win, they never ever quit playing hard in every game. We all know they beat Ole Miss without that cheating ref. I am very excited for the future of Tennessee football for the first time since Kiffin was hired.

Reactions: brockytop
Anyone who says less than a B is clueless. Lots of analysts thought this was a 5 win team at best and several thought we’d be 4-8.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
This.
He should have beaten Pitt.
There are some holes in his philosophy.

All in All....I'm very positive about his first year.
I think he will improve, and he's really turned the CULTURE around.

They played hard EVERY GAME.

VN Store

Back