Vols finish 7-5–how do you grade Huepel’s first season?

brockytop

I give it a B+ all things considered (71 scholarship players, new system on both sides of the ball, extended injuries to Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, etc..).

Season could’ve been an A with win over Pitt or Ole Miss and an A+ beating both. Only other close game so far was UK and it would’ve subtracted 1/2 a grade with loss instead of win.

What’s your grade?

I am pleasantly surprised. The O has been very good most of the season. The D's regression is understandable given the depth and number of plays issues. It is concerning that we cannot seem to correct our middle of the field/3rd down issues, on the other hand it is also understandable given that LB/Safety is the weakest part personnel wise.

Ultimately CJH's tenure here will be made or lost on recruiting, but he has done a pretty good job in year 1, all things considered.

This of course is under the assumption we win the last 2 and win/are competitive in a bowl game.

A-

Beat Pitt and its a A

Beat Pitt and Ole Miss it's an A+

We are finishing the year with only 2 teams that we played being hands down better than we are.

That's crazy knowing what he had to work with from a roster standpoint. He's gotten every ounce out of this team that is extremely challenged when it comes to depth.

Question now becomes, can he get the players? It's what will dictate how long he's here.

I give it a B+ all things considered (71 scholarship players, new system on both sides of the ball, extended injuries to Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, etc..).

Season could’ve been an A with win over Pitt or Ole Miss and an A+ beating both. Only other close game so far was UK and it would’ve subtracted 1/2 a grade with loss instead of win.

What’s your grade?

B+?

Reactions: VolNExile
After seeing the game plan and effort that Huepel got out of his crowd and team, I'd say he's on the right path with the right ideas. Your guys gave it hell, and I'll admit that I was having a mental break by the end of the first. "Great freaking job there causing panic early! Seriously!"

Yeah, I'll admit that I only created an account here to troll, and after that Ol Miss game it was deserved, but I've grown to like this team fanbase this week.

You guys gave it everything, caused one hell of a 1st quarter heart attack, and never really backed down. Huepel should be just fine, and I wish you all the best of luck next year. I mean that.

Go Dawgs.

I give him a B....I feel with him being a offensive coach he should have made Hooker the starter from day 1. Reason I feel this way is Hooker was here in the spring.

Reactions: cgrish
B, which is pretty good considering last year's results. B+ if they had beaten Pitt or Ole Miss. A- if they had beaten both, or A for beating both Ole Miss and Florida. It's all relative though.

B+ considering what he walked into when he took the job. The last four hires were a disaster. I've never seen anything like it. They hired the right guy this time.

A-. Overall, I think we won the games we expected to win (assuming we handle South Alabama and Vandy,) lost the games we expected to lose, and took a win on the road against a ranked opponent. I would’ve liked to win either Pitt or OM, but our defense is thinner than a freshman girl during sorority rush. Take a bowl game win into 2022 and let’s ride.

VN Store

Back