Vols Finally Have a QB

I’m definitely not going to anoint him just yet. But he definitely has some moxie. I’d have like to see us use a few more rpos with him. But one play that sticks with me from last nigh was earlier in the drive (that he ended up fumbling on) he pulled the ball down while rolling to his right and it appeared he’d tuck it and run for what he could get. But he kept his eyes downfield and just before he crossed the loc he threw to a receiver. The play wasn’t a huge gain but ended up picking up 8 or 9 yards. But it was just a heads up play that jg is physically (and somewhat mentally) unable to make. I think he has a chance to be pretty good. Just imagine if Pruitt would’ve allowed there to be a legitimate qb competition and mauer would’ve had a bunch of reps with the 1’s. He’d be way ahead of where he is right now

You think so? Here's a quote from Pruitt regarding next week's game.

''I'll have to watch film,'' Pruitt said. ''I don't know. I think Brian competed really hard. I thought Jarrett did a good job when he was in there. It was good for both of them.''
If Pruitt can't see tge difference and keeps trotting JG out there, then he's an idiot imo.

We have found our quarterback.Player open,ball gets to him when needed.Not hopelessly overthrown or too late.The offense was spirited.Events in the game,no one quit playing.There is more than just hope for the rest.of this year.Those who still say gloom and doom,bad coaches,bad players,no morale,please just get the hell away from this site!Just because your life sucks,do not try to convey your lousy existance to us.GBO

So anyone who points out the obvious truths needs to get away from the site? Lol Typical American sheep who wants to be spoon fed lies and delusions so they don't have to face reality. Good luck with that.

Just hope BM isnt gun shy after that beating he took in the 2nd half, thanks once again to the inept OL and play calling (lack of run game)

missed assignments, they weren’t on the same page, guys got tired, UGA made critical adjustments and played championship football the second half. They ran when they wanted to. UT freshmen made freshmen mistakes.
Defense could not get off the field and the Offense had few opportunities. What was time of possession in the 2nd half.

Reactions: 1vol8
The last 3 coaches have used the "lack of depth" excuse. When will it stop?????
When we have depth I guess, Dooley and Butch didn't recruit well enough or develop players well enough to replace our graduating or leaving early starters which caused them to be let go in the end and it's just been a wrinkle effect ever since, now we're dealing with it due to players leaving the program or being told to leave. It'll be that way when you have 4 different head coaches and countless position coaches and coordinators in a 10 year span.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Just hope BM isnt gun shy after that beating he took in the 2nd half, thanks once again to the inept OL and play calling (lack of run game)
No one should worry about that. There’s a reason I’ve always been so high on him. This o line is the best he’s ever had

Defense could not get off the field and the Offense had few opportunities. What was time of possession in the 2nd half.
Not sure many are looking that deep to realize that. Also every stalled drive that didn’t end in scoring position had at least one penalty attached to it.

Chaney is just going to have to deal with max protection to help his QBs out. Keeps leaving these guys in the open trying to send out everybody into a pattern. Yet he will not throw quick slants to the middle. Also no screens to the RBs that I remember. Maurer did bring a spark to the offense and gave the fans a since they were seeing good QB play. He has earned his right to keep starting.

I know you're joking but I don't think HB is the savior many are touting him to be.
Me either. Now that doesn’t mean he won’t or can’t be. It just means he’s not as ready as most think. Meanwhile an overall more athletically talented qb is gaining experience ahead of him. I’ve said all along we won’t get or keep both beyond 2020. At that point we better hope the right decisions are made.

You are choosing indirect facts over direct facts. The direct facts are:

1 He tried to lay down on the sidelines
2 He passed out in doing so as evidenced by his eyes closing, body becoming limp, and head falling back with loss of tone
3 Staff, witnessing this and in a minor panic, jerked him to his feet as he recovered consciousness
4 He was pale when he came out of the tent

This should no longer be called "a little shaken up". It should be called what it is. Playing without fully recovering and taking another lick, which he will, risks his well being forever.

Chronic encephalopathy from repeated trauma is in the news regularly, has been the subject of a movie, and more recently been discussed publicly by the recently retired New England tight end.

Ignoring what happened doesn't eliminate it's consequences. The player will never say "hey...something bad happened to me". Somebody has to do it for him.

Maybe his mom is following.
No disrespect, but seriously, are you a practicing physician?

We have found our quarterback.Player open,ball gets to him when needed.Not hopelessly overthrown or too late.The offense was spirited.Events in the game,no one quit playing.There is more than just hope for the rest.of this year.Those who still say gloom and doom,bad coaches,bad players,no morale,please just get the hell away from this site!Just because your life sucks,do not try to convey your lousy existance to us.GBO
Remains to be seen if Maurer can sustain 4 quarters of good play. Not sure if he is equal to that. YET.

Chaney is just going to have to deal with max protection to help his QBs out. Keeps leaving these guys in the open trying to send out everybody into a pattern. Yet he will not throw quick slants to the middle. Also no screens to the RBs that I remember. Maurer did bring a spark to the offense and gave the fans a since they were seeing good QB play. He has earned his right to keep starting.

Could not agree more. When Maurer got sacked and coughed it up, Jordan was on the left to pick up the rush from that end. The CB blitzed from the right (Stokes) and Pope never even thought about picking him up. Just took off running his route. Maybe that's what he was supposed to do, Idk. Chaney/Friend have to do better getting these guys to recognize what's getting ready to happen, figure out they need to stay home a hot second and pick up the rush. Maurer should have probably picked up the fact Stokes was potentially coming on a blitz which meant his receiver was going to be open on that side with a blitz coming. He never looked that direction after the ball was snapped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnslim1
D
Talked to him after the game. He claims he didn’t. And given the trainers picked him up immediately I have no choice but to believe what he said about himself and the facts that took place. Trainers don’t stand an unconscious person on their feet.
Did he tell you he just got the wind knocked out of him, and that he was ok ?

Kids ceiling is 8-9 wins, assuming talent is there. However, he might be what UT needs at exactly the right time to get this thing on 4 wheels to begin with.

VN Store

Back